Sign in to follow this  
BlinkNFG

Do I need to upgrade my graphics card

Hi,I understand that FSX doesn't really rely on the graphics card and CPU speed is much more important. However to what extent can an old graphics card hold you back? Would you recommend replacing mine which I have had for a good few years now?My FSX performance is generally good but I have found (like most people I guess) it goes slowly in busy airports and areas. Improvement is not essential (I am more than able to enjoy FSX) but would be nice!My system infoWindows XP 32 (in the process of upgrading to Windows 7 64Bit)Intel I7 920 OC @ 3.16 GHz3GB RAM (should I upgrade to 6 GB once I have the 64bit system or would this make no difference?)Matrox Triple Head2Go (3 19in monitors)Geforce 9600GTWould an upgrade to a Geforce 250 (would be

Guest chris493

I would recommend you upgrade your ram to a 6 GB triple channel kit. That is the biggest bottleneck of your system. I would recommend 6GB kit (3x2GB) of 1600MHz CAS6 Ram. The speed and latency is important. If you are going to upgrade your graphics, go to a GTX 260 minimum.

Hi,I understand that FSX doesn't really rely on the graphics card and CPU speed is much more important. However to what extent can an old graphics card hold you back? Would you recommend replacing mine which I have had for a good few years now?My FSX performance is generally good but I have found (like most people I guess) it goes slowly in busy airports and areas. Improvement is not essential (I am more than able to enjoy FSX) but would be nice!My system infoWindows XP 32 (in the process of upgrading to Windows 7 64Bit)Intel I7 920 OC @ 3.16 GHz3GB RAM (should I upgrade to 6 GB once I have the 64bit system or would this make no difference?)Matrox Triple Head2Go (3 19in monitors)Geforce 9600GTWould an upgrade to a Geforce 250 (would be

Bert

I would recommend you upgrade your ram to a 6 GB triple channel kit. That is the biggest bottleneck of your system. I would recommend 6GB kit (3x2GB) of 1600MHz CAS6 Ram. The speed and latency is important. If you are going to upgrade your graphics, go to a GTX 260 minimum.
Thanks for the replies both. I will probably leave the graphics card for now then (unless an absolute bargin appears on ebay or elsewhere).For the RAM would http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct....rodid=MY-153-OC be what I should go for? This one is cheaper but does not have the specs you recommended. http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct....amp;subcat=1390. Or would you recommend something else?thanks againJon

Would an upgrade to a Geforce 250 (would be

Art

You may also need to look at your PSU, you haven't said what you currently have but upgrades nearly alwys need that 'bit more umph', so beware.

Guest chris493

Also look at case cooling as it can play a major part in your computers performance. Make sure it has good airflow with good cable management inside. Make sure you have a decent CPU cooler as well and you can overclock it to about 3.8-4.2GHz.

Thanks again everyone.I have ordered the RAM you recommended Chris. My PSU is 750W (I believe) so should be sufficient.I had my computer overclocked by the company who bought it and they managed to get it from 2.67GHz to 3.16GHZ which I was quite pleased with. I'm reluctant to try anymore as it is stable and I worry I may damage something!I will see if I can pick up a cheap second hand 250 GTSthanks allJon

I have installed the new RAM - thanks everyone for their advice. Now I need to upgrade to Windows 7 to allow my machine to take advantage of the extra RAM. I have it ready to go but first need to finish backing everything up - lots of FSX stuff to check I still have the licence codes for!I'm still looking for a cheap GTS 250 as well to complete my upgrades.I want to overclock my i7 920 CPU. However I think the cooling I have is pretty poor. The Noctua NH-U12P SE2 has been recommended to me but I'm not sure if it will fit in my case. I have a Coolermaster Centurion 590 - will the Noctua NH-U12P SE2 fit? If not what CPU cooler would you recommend? I currently have Asetek Liquid CPU Cooling System For Intel LGA1366 but my load temps quickly reach 78-80C without any overclocking.Advice appreciated.Jon

Guest chris493

Somethings not right with ur liquid cooling, 78C?!? I use the corsair H50 and have fairl low temps.

:(

Somethings not right with ur liquid cooling, 78C?!? I use the corsair H50 and have fairl low temps.
That is what I thought but I sent it back to cyberpower for overclocking and they found no fault (though they said the temps were a bit high). I therefore came to the conclusion it would be best to buy a new cooler as my current one is not working (for whatever reason). Any that you would recommend for my case and motherboad (CoolerMaster Centurion 590 and MSI X58 Platinum)? thanksJon

Guest chris493

Corsair H50 liquid cooling. Fits in almost every case and mobo, I use it with my OCd 980x so it should be good with yours. It's closed loop and easy to use. Can't remember price.

Corsair H50 liquid cooling. Fits in almost every case and mobo, I use it with my OCd 980x so it should be good with yours. It's closed loop and easy to use. Can't remember price.
Thanks I'll check it out (looks to be about

Guest chris493

There is a 120mm fan as standard but adding another will help.