Sign in to follow this  
airindia16

ILS approach

Assuming you are flying the default 737 and following the flight plan using the default GPS, try the following. it always works for me.When ATC gives the message, you are now 78 miles, turn..., follow their heading/alt instructions. Leave the NAV1 slaved to the GPS.When ATC tells you the runway you are using, go in to the GPS, hit program, choose and activate the ILS approach for that runway. You won't start flying the approach yet because you are in HDG mode but it will be ready for you when you need it.Enter the proper ILS frequency in to the NAV1 radio.When ATC gives you their final instructions before handing you off to the tower, hit VOR/LOC again. HDG will deactivate and the GPS will line you up with the runway. You will usually have a long, shallow turn towards the runway. Once you are lined up and leveled off at the altitude ATC gave you, move the GPS/NAV switch to NAV and select APPR. You should already have ALT selected. Begin to slow down, drop flaps and gears. It helps to be at your approach speed before descending of the GS. Watch the GS indicator on the PFD. Once it centers, ALT hold will switch off automatically and you will begin to descend. I don't know if it makes a difference but from the start of your descent (about 120 nm out), you need to descend at about 2000fpm to keep up with ATC and be at the right altitude at the right time. If you descend much slower, you will be too high when they give to your final instructions (about 30 nm out). If you follow the ATC ALT instructions, descend at 2000FPM and use the GPS approach they way I mentioned, you should be at the right ALT to intercept the GS.
First off, I have to say thanks very much to everyone! And definately to mr. Duck (haha jk) because I just had my first successful ILS approach. I guess the basic thing is to know what you are doing becuase when I first posted this because of my flight to Boston I had no idea how to work ILS, but I just performed it using both GPS and Nav1 as you suggested.THIS THREAD IS SOLVED!and a sidenote; avsim is the best fsx forum I have ever encountered!Thanks more than anything again!airindia16

Glad you got it worked out. "Program", "Prog", "proc"... Whatever it is, it is the button that starts with a "P". It is hard to remember the buttons when you don't have FS running. Sorry I sent you on a wild goose chase.Took me a whole year with FS95 to figure out how to find an airport. I still have not ventured in to fully learning about proper procedures (no GPS). You should learn now before you develop bad habits. I, however, am a lost soul. I will be tied to that GPS forever:)The scenery sure looks nice though :)

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

Guest 413X3

Well I just click a button on the FMC to select my arriving runway, and another button for the approach, activate, and there I go, auto-tuned to the approach freq! I love flight management computers

Took me a whole year with FS95 to figure out how to find an airport. I still have not ventured in to fully learning about proper procedures (no GPS). You should learn now before you develop bad habits. I, however, am a lost soul. I will be tied to that GPS forever:)
Well without GPS you really have a few choices:1) Chart and dead reckoning 2) VOR or NDB navigation3) INS4) radar vectors to the fieldhttp://stoenworks.com/Aviation%20home%20page.htmlCheck out tutorials at the bottom!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Well without GPS you really have a few choices:1) Chart and dead reckoning 2) VOR or NDB navigation3) INS4) radar vectors to the fieldhttp://stoenworks.co...ome%20page.htmlCheck out tutorials at the bottom!
So it isn't like cheating or the simpler way of performing an ILS approach? It's done like that in real life?

So it isn't like cheating or the simpler way of performing an ILS approach? It's done like that in real life?
With larger aircraft I'm not exactly sure. With my limited flying experience in ga singles it was all radar vectors to final approach course (so you would use NAV1 frequency of the ILS) or full procedure ILS via some initial fix (usually the outer marker which may be an NDB)

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest sg38

With 'heavies' you file a flight plan and load that into the FMC. The plane uses mainly the internal (not pilot usable) GPS to verify its position and its (in most planes) 3 INS units.But of course you can fly from VOR to VOR as well, ok not over the atlantic ocean but you get the idea.Even flying with a stopwatch and a map would be 'theoretically' possible.Once you are close to the airport you either follow the (filed or by ATC) assigned arrival route to the ILS or you get radar vectors all the way to the ILS.There are of course other types of approach possible but in Europe it's mostly ILS.In Mumbai I fly never anything else than an ILS approach and in Delhi it's either an ILS or a VOR approach.(real world not sim)

With 'heavies' you file a flight plan and load that into the FMC. The plane uses mainly the internal (not pilot usable) GPS to verify its position and its (in most planes) 3 INS units.But of course you can fly from VOR to VOR as well, ok not over the atlantic ocean but you get the idea.Even flying with a stopwatch and a map would be 'theoretically' possible.Once you are close to the airport you either follow the (filed or by ATC) assigned arrival route to the ILS or you get radar vectors all the way to the ILS.There are of course other types of approach possible but in Europe it's mostly ILS.In Mumbai I fly never anything else than an ILS approach and in Delhi it's either an ILS or a VOR approach.(real world not sim)
oh yeah well thats good especially considering that delhi has been upgrading its airport a lot! what type of airplane do you fly? And while we're on the subject, do you know if anyone is making a delhi airport add-on b/c of the new terminal and stuff? it would totally be worth it!thanks for your input,airindia16

Guest sg38
oh yeah well thats good especially considering that delhi has been upgrading its airport a lot! what type of airplane do you fly? And while we're on the subject, do you know if anyone is making a delhi airport add-on b/c of the new terminal and stuff? it would totally be worth it!thanks for your input,airindia16
767...don't know if there's an add on for Delhi in FSX. I think the new terminal is already open or should open within the next weeks. Haven't been there in the last month. But average we waited at least 45min on the taxiway for a parking position at the old apron/terminal