Sign in to follow this  
frank1223

Running FSX with 'zizi' noise from the hard drive

Hello everyone:The electricity was suddenly cutoff for some reasons in my hosue, so that everything was in black half an hour ago, including my PC. It shut down immediately just like running out of bacteries. I know that this may causes the hard drive some problems. So I restart my PC and run FSX, there were some very loud 'ZIZI

Z. C

Mine had been making that noise at start up for six months. It actually sounds like it is loose in the case but it seems secure. Does this mean it is going bad or could it be due to something else?

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

I had the same thing happen and used it as an excuse to get an SSD. :)Try checking out your drives "SMART", it's some kind of error tracking/failure statistics kind of thing. You need a utility to access it. I use Linux's "smartctl". I'm sure Windows has something.So far it hasn't reported any problems but none of my drives actually failed. The retired FS drive is now happy as temp area.So I'm guessing it really was fragmentation. That would make the second time fragging got so bad I had to do something about it. Still, I think religiously defragging is a waste of time.

I had the same thing happen and used it as an excuse to get an SSD. :)Try checking out your drives "SMART", it's some kind of error tracking/failure statistics kind of thing. You need a utility to access it. I use Linux's "smartctl". I'm sure Windows has something.So far it hasn't reported any problems but none of my drives actually failed. The retired FS drive is now happy as temp area.So I'm guessing it really was fragmentation. That would make the second time fragging got so bad I had to do something about it. Still, I think religiously defragging is a waste of time.
When you have a read error rate of 200, defragging becomes part of the normal pre FSX start and logoff/restart routine, when I go SSD I'm going to be enjoying it big timeMy Computer Speccy stats

Make sure to back up what you need to back up.. Pictures, Docs Etc.. The drive is probably on its way to failing.