Sign in to follow this  
kmanning

Excessive Climb Rate

Hi all,I was doing a flight from Sciphol Amsterdam to Palma De Mellorca in FS9? This is the flight taken from the ITTV video. When I take-off in the MD-11, the climb rate is way too high and I'm getting an excessive climb rate of 4,000 to 5,000 fpm at about 170 knots. Before doing this flight, I set all weather parameters in FS9 and loaded the MD-11 according to all information from the MD-11 ITTV video. When I rotate at Vr, I raise the nose for a climb of V2 and follow the flight director bar. Remember, the flight director bar follows the V2+10 speed so that will give us a speed of 163 knots. From the video, the FMS calculated a V2 speed of 153 knots, 153 + 10 = 163 knots. The acceleration is a little rapid because by the time I stabalize the flight director bar, the airseed has busted the V2+10 by about 10 knots. I entered flex 50 in the FMS as shown in the video. So my question is, when that number is entered into the FMS, does it actually reduce the amout of thrust coming from the engines or is that just eye candy? When I enter flex 50, it gives an EPR indication of 1.44, exactly as shown in the video. In the ITTV video, the MD-11 is climbing at precisely 164 knots and 2,900 fpm, not 4,000 to 5,000 fpm. Remember, I set all senarios, weather, aircraft weight, engine EPR settings to that depicted in the video. In the video, the dispatcher says the ZFW includes 296 passengers and 500 kilograms of cargo. I don't understand where the dispatcher comes up with 500 kilograms of cargo. That's only 1,102 pounds. It's not possible to enter 500 kilograms in the MD-11 load manager but when you load 296 passengers and if you try to enter a cargo weight of 500 kilograms, it does not add up to a ZFW of 164.7 as mentioned by the dispatcher. If she meant luggages, then what was the weight of the cargo? Once 296 passengers are loaded in the MD-11 load manager, one must enter 15,000 kilograms of cargo to get the ZFW at 164.7. So, I'm confused as to where she comes up with 500 kilograms of cargo.Below is a list of parameters and senarios I set in FS9 and the MD-11 which were taken from the video. Do any of you agree that I have these correct? Zero Fuel Weight: 164.7 tonnes.Number of Passengers: 296 Fuel on Board: 39.5 tonnes.Cargo: 15,000 kilograms Gross Weight: 203 to 204 tonnes. Temperature at Schiphol: 32C.Flex: 50 which limit the engines to 1.44 EPR.Pressure at Schiphol: 1018.Ken.

Hello Ken,most likely the Martinair MD11 is different from the PMDG one. There were quite a few changes to the MD11 design throughout the production run. Have a look at this website.I think the climb rate might be a result of FSX limitations. Regards

Most likely is the 500Kg of cargo is in addition to passenger luggage. I would assume that a standard figure would be used for the number of passengers, same as a standard figure would be used for passenger weight.John Ellison

hi Ken,If I remember,if you search,you should find another post on this very subject.The only item which I can remember is that the aircraft carried enough fuel for both legs of its flight!