Sign in to follow this  
Guest Robs

Gliding

Guest Robs

John,I am sorry i got my John and Jon's mixed. Please accept my apologies for not crediting you properly on the FU3 vigi build.Are you a vigi driver in real life? (at Cosford?) What inspired you to spend the xxx hours puting the FU3 vigi together?There are very not many good vigi utubes...probably because they make a racket and so not good on video but here is one I found.(Didn't make any of these)It's a slide show really (and features WB922 that you saw in the snow above as 621HF trailered it over to 634VGS near Cardiff last year for thier families day)

I reckon gliding is more fun ..but I am a bit biased, see below for example of what I mean - ridge soaring at portmoak - air cadets use this site and ridge too - but ATC are obviously much better behaved with thier aircraft :-)(again not my video - not taking credit - just forwarding to those who might find it fun/inspiring to watch)

Anyway all the best.Will fire up FU3 and remind myself what the vigi was like!Rob

Guest glidernut

Robs,To my mined that last moovi is gliding at its absoloot best, I carnt imagen better,Unfortunatly thees days my flying days are over, My dimestik sercumstansis are such that I am prity well confinedto the house.And Im sory to disalooshion you, but even in my hay day I never went solow in anything biger than hang gliders. I started with home made hang gliders at a time when parer gliding had not yet been invented and there was no rools no trainingand no sens, when I think of sum of the daft risks I took back then, I feel luky to be alive.I hav never evan sat in a reeal Vigilant.Chesney on the other hand, he was for meny yers an instructer on the Vigilant training cadets and only took up FU3in his retiyerment. Chesney arsced me to bild hin a Vigilant, I sed no, Im only interested in gliders, He sent me sum pictuers and sed the Vigilant macks a good glider, I sed ok, Iill do the model, if you do the panals, and thats how it came about.I am prouwd of the Vigilant, its the only plain in FU3 that has dors opening and closing.Ti took me abaout 7 munths to do, and at times I was puling my hir out with frustration trying to get it right.All the bestglidernutJohn lewis

Guest Robs

Hi Glidernut,Glad you enjoyed the vids. Gliding is flying for fun!!Really sorry to hear you don't have the wings you once had....but if you are a bold pilot then probably best to quit while you are ahead.But to get the most out you have to put the most in. To my mind bigger aircraft are easier than small ones...I might have a go on a hnag glider one day.In our historic club we have a "primary" which is nearly the same as a hang glider...haven't had the courage to fly that yet ..pic belowThey used to train cadets on it! First it was hung up on an a frame on a windy day and the cadet got the hang of the controls. Then they did a ground slide pulled along by a car with the instructor shouting thru a mega phone in a car alongside.Then they were allowed a few feet airbourne and then finally they were allowed a flight (probably 30 to 50ft airbourne, flying the length of a football pitch)I am impressed with the vigilant especially as you haven't flown it. I'll get you a few photo's of vigi's next week while I am gliding near some and post here for you. I can imagine how many hours go into each model...hence my profuse apologies in getting my johns mixed up.(Can't convert it for FSX can you? ...am I allowed to say that here?)ohhh...I just noticed they were home made hanggliders you flew....woah that is something else!!Not sure I'd go for trying that!! Leap of faith or wot.Anyway primary glider below and will be back with vigi pics for youRobs

Hello.I have seen the videoes, and they are very good, very impressive seeing the old gliders with open cockpit.I was educating in the 1970's in Sweden for my glider linces, just across the boarder. not so expensive.We were all lincenced,-flying "Bergfalke II", wearing paraschutes according to the Swedish law, and using tow- aircrafts like piper super-cub, or piper cherokee,- even Piper tripacer.We all had A lot of fun.Lars Peter.

Guest glidernut

Lars Peter,About the Seattle cave chalang? I asked you to send me,dont bother gathering all the models, all the wav files, wether file, readme.txt instructions, and so on.Just send me the script, I can construct everything els from the script.Or if there is anyone out there that still has the (Seattle cave chalang) pleas send me the script.All the bestglidernutjohn Lewis

John,I emailed you the script. It is for the Seattle Caverns challenge. I sent it to your supanet account.jimb

Lars Peter,About the Seattle cave chalang? I asked you to send me,dont bother gathering all the models, all the wav files, wether file, readme.txt instructions, and so on.Just send me the script, I can construct everything els from the script.Or if there is anyone out there that still has the (Seattle cave chalang) pleas send me the script.All the bestglidernutjohn Lewis

dual boot: win8.1pro64bit (primary) | win10pro64bit  | mobo: MSI Prestige x570 Creation | cpu and cooler:  AMD 5950X; Noctua NH-U12A | ram: 4each 8gb sticks of ddr4-3200 CORSAIR Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2Z3200C16 | gpu:  nvidia RTX2070Super Founders Edition| lcd: LG 24" 4k, LG 24UD58-B

Hello.John.I have looked through all my old discettes for the Seattle Caverns challenge, but it is not there.Jim.Thank you for helping us out with the missing files.I hope the script files can do it.Anyone who have old missing FU3 files are wanted to reupload to the library.The simulator is old, but still in use worldwide.Best regards.Lars Peter

Guest glidernut

Hello.Jim Buffett,Hi jimb,sory I am a bit slow in ansering.My supanet account is long long ded.Iv just sent an email to you, useing an old email adress, dont know if its still valid? I am a bit reluctant to put my e-mail adress on the foram.Iv just sent you my new email adress viyer avsim, by kliking on the enverlop left of your posting.I think thats what its for, Im not shooer, Iv never used it bifor.Lars Peter,Anyone who have old missing FU3 files are wanted to reupload to the library.Thats a mesage werth repeeting.Anyone who have old missing FU3 files are wanted to reupload to the library.glidernut

I found the original downloaded seatle-caves.zip from the Avsim Library. I'm not allowed to re-upload to Avsim as I'm not the original author. Reviewing the "Oops" list I made in January, the authors were John L and Robert D. I'll gladly email the zip file to the authors so it can be re-uploaded to the library. I can also email to anyone now if you need it right away. jimbEdit: Hi John L, I got your message. My e-mail address is still a good one.

dual boot: win8.1pro64bit (primary) | win10pro64bit  | mobo: MSI Prestige x570 Creation | cpu and cooler:  AMD 5950X; Noctua NH-U12A | ram: 4each 8gb sticks of ddr4-3200 CORSAIR Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2Z3200C16 | gpu:  nvidia RTX2070Super Founders Edition| lcd: LG 24" 4k, LG 24UD58-B

Guest glidernut

Hi jimb,Iv hav just reseeved the script, thanks.And I reseeved it with you useing an out of dait email adress to. Thats amazing. In fact I would hav thort it imposibl.My new brord band is with a compleetly diferant cumpany. Thanks agen, Im shooer I can reeconstruct it from the sript, the script is the important bit, thats where all the work is.Ps, o, hang on theres more.Hi jimb,Yes it was me and Robert Driscoll did the cave chalanges.Its amazing that you still hav the oroginall seatle-caves.zip. can you send that to me pleas?If its intact like you say then I will uplod it to the library.glidernutJohn Lewis

John and Lars,I e-mailed the seattle-caves and 1900d. These I have because Hans had very generously helped me many years ago when my old compaq hard drive had failed. Hans sent me a cd of his Flt Unlimited files. Many-many thank yous again to you Hans.You all take care,jimb

Guest glidernut

Hi jimb, Thanks, Iv got Seattl cave chalang you sent me, Iv been flying around in them cavens all afternoon, its beter than I remember, evan thow I do say so my self. when I think of others flying around in them cavens, skraching there heads and thinking to them selvs, "what the dikins is all this about" I hav to chukl. I will in due cores be puting it in the avsim library.Thats a very thurer list of files you hav put together, sowing all the stuf that got corupted when avsim got atact.I may hav sum of them my self, but as you say, If avsim will only acsept the original orthers uplowding to the library,its a bit orquard. As you see in the snap shot, the midland red bus you sent me is very usefall.Hear in the UK, glider clubs up and douwn the country make good ues of old disused dubl deker buses.There is a glider club no far from me that has no les than 4 of them.The resan thay are so popular at gliding clubs is bicous thay make such good control senters, thay hav good all round vishion,thay hav a high vantage point, thay are cheep, and thay can easysily be mooved about the sight to soot the direction of windfor that day, and thay are wind and worter proof.There are allways peopl hanging about by the bus, I think its bicous thats where thay make the teae and bacon sandwichis.Ps, on studying your buses e-file, I am intreegd as to houw it was renderd.There are 7 textures in the e-file that are not used, or requiyerd, its a bit straing.What rendering program do you use? It might be easyer to ues than the one I use.I use an old Version of LithUnwrap Version 1.3 that is no loner availabl. Thanks agen.All the best,glidernut.

Hi John,I am right happy that you like the bus. I use Sketchup for 3d modeling and texturing. Anim8or to resize and position.The dbus is pretty old so I probably used Sketchup v4. The program is excellent for dunder heads like myself. When I have a photo, and know the dimensions of non-complex subject(only if I can find real blueprints or descriptions); I could almost generally make an exact replica; then apply the photo as texture. Sketchup4 is no longer available and the new version is to complex for me to cope with.As you point out, this ends up with an unusually high amount of textures. Its why I rarely make public anything I do, because most times they're either impractical, or just awful. For example, way back I made a Bell Rock Lighthouse tower when I saw lots of you guys were creating a UK region. Well when I got done with the model, it has to many polygons, so I just dropped it and let it sit. Just like the dbus, pixelated, to many textures, so I just abandoned it.Other programs I have tried and even with multiple hand holdings from many folks, I still fail to grasp how to use it.LithUnwrap program you mentioned I think I tried to use it once to texture a model, but when the thing got "flattened", I couldn't tell which part of the model was what, so shamefully I had to uninstall the tool.I still try to model with Sketchup7. Recently when it looked like the Seattle Hi-Res region was being extended up to Vancouver I started model the Fisgard Lighthouse. I wasn't able to cope with Sketchup7's different ways of uses photo to create exact dimension models, so abandoned that as well. Besides, I had never found free online blueprints of the Fisgard Lighthouse, so even if I had completed it; it wouldn't have been to reality scale.Report card on myself of 3d modeling programs I've failed at: Sketchup7, Anim8or, AC3D, Blender, Gmax, 3dmax, Truespace, ZModeler, ZBrush, Wings3d.Graphics program failures: PSP8, PSP9, Gimp, Photoshop, Corel.Heres a screen shot of Bell Rock Lighthouse I opened with Sketchup7.Next one is Admiralty Head Light Tower. Its house I uploaded to avsim long ago, the tower I abandoned.