Sign in to follow this  
Guest Robs

Gliding

Guest Robs

Hi All,Good to see a few familiar posters are still active.I thought you might like to know (esp glidernut) that I have moved on to flying for real!I found and joined a local VGS (volunteer gliding school) and after som considerable training now fly cair adets around in the Viking glider (Grob 103 to civvies) on their first glider launches. I am off on my first full instructor course shortly and hope to be come back from that able to train cadets to their first solo.The original flight unlimited was my first gliding sim (if any of you remember that- still have the dos version in the loft somewhere!) and, although I run FU3 now and then (never been off my computer), my stock sims are Condor and FSX.It was glidernut who told me that lift could be found under clouds....now spend my life looking at them! :-)I wish sims did weather better (with proper met and fronts and cloud types at fronts)I can recommend learning to fly for real as it does improve your sim flying quite a bit.Still amazed at the amount of coding going on for FU3. Robs

Guest glidernut

Hi Robs,Are you the one from Bristol?Torlking about stuf in the loft gathering dust, hav you seen this littl picture bifor? its an animated gif, I hope it works on avsim, it says it all about lift under clouds.I never had the DOS version. You must go back ferther tham me. So your flying a grob thees days, grrr, Im not jelas, well may be just a bit.Id rarther be douwn hear wishing I was up there than up therewishing I was douwn hear.All the bestglidernut

Guest glidernut

No the animation dont work on avsim, never mined.glidernut

The animated gif is really neat. Its works just fine on firefox for sure. Just left click on it and off you go.jimb

dual boot: win8.1pro64bit (primary) | win10pro64bit  | mobo: MSI Prestige x570 Creation | cpu and cooler:  AMD 5950X; Noctua NH-U12A | ram: 4each 8gb sticks of ddr4-3200 CORSAIR Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2Z3200C16 | gpu:  nvidia RTX2070Super Founders Edition| lcd: LG 24" 4k, LG 24UD58-B

Guest glidernut

Jim Buffett, juvat,Its good to see old frends stil around.If I recall right you did a Black Box caled mirage, its not on avsim any mor, theres a stak of stufno longer on avsim, I ges thay hav to get rid of the old to make way for the new.O yes your right, the animated gif dus work, I found with my sistem I right click on it and choos (open link)that gets it going for me.Its lick that man having troubl geting his boomarang to cum back,his troubl persisted until sum one pointed out that if he wanted his boomarang to cum back the first he has to throw it.glidernut

Jim Buffett, juvat,Its good to see old frends stil around.If I recall right you did a Black Box caled mirage, its not on avsim any mor, theres a stak of stufno longer on avsim, I ges thay hav to get rid of the old to make way for the new.O yes your right, the animated gif dus work, I found with my sistem I right click on it and choos (open link)that gets it going for me.Its lick that man having troubl geting his boomarang to cum back,his troubl persisted until sum one pointed out that if he wanted his boomarang to cum back the first he has to throw it.glidernut
Hello John,I wish I still had the file to re-upload. I lost a bunch of stuff some time ago. I typed it out in long form below.I think most of our latest missing files here at the library are because of the attack, and the original authors are un-aware or maybe un-available to re-upload.you all take care,jimmybMy oldest files were on my 2 maxtor hard drives that "toasted" on me (last year?). They were a 60gig and a 40gig. I heard a pop from my desktop tower, then an even more dreaded smell of burning electronics. I quick, pulled the power. On investigation, found that one of the hd's had a chip melted and the hd adjacent to it had black soot on a corner.These 2 old hd's were some of my oldest and also contained my majority of all: -Janes Attack Squadron (Thunder Over Europe)(I lost all of Warbirds' custom JAS skins except for P51 Beautiful Doll. Gone are the P38 'Beat", a custom skin for the B24 "Dragon?' and a custom skin for the B17)(A lot of U4EAs stuff),-Janes series combat sims-LB Gold, LB2, F18, FA, WW2F, IAF 688I hunter/kille, F15, USAF-All 3 Flight Unlimited files (I had a full copy of Tommy Lehto's stuff and his notes-all gone now), -All Need For Speed High Stakes stuff, -All Grand Prix Legends stuff, -bunch of my custom 3d models(not fit for public, they were really awful). -All my Fly and Fly II stuff (which is really bad because Terrascene is no longer available here at Avsim because of the attack. Theres not much use for running FlyI II for me now as the original game discs didn't come with much flyable areas).-My only working Ghost Recon, -Only working Rowan Flying Corps Gold, Mig Alley and BoB. -A Thief Gold custom mission I was making. Basically near everything I had been accumulating over the years for old pc games. A very few I had backups elsewhere. I could re-install all the games. I re-installed some of the games just fine from their cd's; but I think they worked better because I had installed them originally while I was still on Win98+fat32. So I lost near all of my "old-stuff". I have been buying western digital brand hd's now and they are pretty good."Hey JimmyB, didn't you back any of that stuff up"? Yep, on a 320gig Seagate FreeAgent usb external hd. Which tipped off my laptop stand and hasn't worked since. I pulled it out of its case and plugged it in directly to my desktop motherboard. Its a barracuda sata hd. It still doesn't spinup so either I have my mobo configured wrong to read sata hard drives or the hard drive is bad.maybe i should change my name to boomerang?

dual boot: win8.1pro64bit (primary) | win10pro64bit  | mobo: MSI Prestige x570 Creation | cpu and cooler:  AMD 5950X; Noctua NH-U12A | ram: 4each 8gb sticks of ddr4-3200 CORSAIR Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2Z3200C16 | gpu:  nvidia RTX2070Super Founders Edition| lcd: LG 24" 4k, LG 24UD58-B

Hello.Glidernut:The gif animation is working OK in win.xp explorer 7.0, very good animation.Good to see you in the FU3 forum again.Juvat:I have also have a lot of FU2-FU3 addons installed, never re-uploaded to avsim.com after the "hacking event".The most of addons deleted AHHH...The files are still installed on an old working computer in my home office.Both packages/Challemgers-events/aircraftReuploading can be done on request.Nice to see old members here in the forum.Lars Peter.

Guest glidernut

Lars Peter Galaasen,Well well well, this is terning out to be quight a reunion.Are you still into old american 50's and 60's Classic cars?do you still fly "Bergfalke" and "Blanik" gliders doun there in south east Norway?If you still hav the Seattle cave chalang? can you send it to me please? Iv lost it.All the bestglidernutjohn Lewis

Hello john.I have not have the time to do with "classic cars" so far.My job as a company leader takes all my time regarding the employed workers will be all taking care of.My company is a structure that will take care of tekcnologig skills and taking care of the customers.This is a huge job learning the 20 year persons anything value.Classic cars are coming up again some time I think.I will see at my old computer, and send over to you some files.Lars Peter.

Hello.I an still in the leadership OF the local Aero club Trysil-Norway, struggeling always to make money value to the cost of aircrafts to be maintained and operative flying.So far no gliding with"Bergfalke-Blanik".A video from Trysil last Winterhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k9voxGnDlYLars Peter.

Lars,I race 60s classic cars online in GT Legends, and also the Power & Glory 2 mod for GTR2. They are much more interesting to drive than the modern high downforce cars.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Robs

Hi AllYes Glidernut, I'm the one from Brissle.Weren't you south wales somewhere? Do you glide for real?I assumed you did!!I have learnt a bit of met over the last couple of years.All glider pilots become manic meterologists.I can see why FU3's weather system was so revolutionary!Anyway here are the VGS viking gliders at work. I thought you might enjoy.

Here is a vid I made of flying a vintage glider in the snows (it was -7C on the ground and that felt very warm after our flights....gotta do these mad things)Not just Norway that gets snow - although it does bring UK to a stop - especially in the south :-)

If you search Utube there are a good few vigilant videos (so you can see Jon Point's vigi in action)Did 8 launches yesterday and staying current to fly cadets is a major time investment....but fun Anyway all sparked from Flight unlimited (for dos) - first true glider simulatorThe absolute joy I got when I got the glider to go up a few few fett in those brown bubble thermals over the 1 sqaure mile of photo real but flat landscape!(for you car racers; it was up there with the first time I got under 10 mins on the "the ring" on Grand Prix legends - still keep that on my computer too - Chris you have fine taste my man in GT Legends - got that as well - with a few new cars - ne way thread drift!)Robs.

Great videos, Rob. Which airfield is that in the first one?As for GT Legends, if you are interested in racing online any time, let me know. I compete in a couple of GTL leagues at Gamers Crib (Muscle Car League on Saturday nights, and the (G)TC-65 League on Thursdays), the P&G2 World Sprint League on selected Tuesdays (I organise these double sprint format races), and I am about to compete in my first ever GTR2 League race tonight!

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Robs
Great videos, Rob. Which airfield is that in the first one?The first one is RAF Kenley (which is near Coulsdon in Surrey). I didn't make that one. The VGS at Kenley (615VGS) made that one. All the VGS fly the viking glider or the vigilant motorglider and this shows the Viking, the winch launch and minor aerial mischief well. I used to like very close to there until I was about 10 years old.I made the other of the vintage glider. A private group based at 621VGS run this glider and have special permission to fly it around Hullavington in Wiltshire. It's the glider equivalent of being given the keys of a classic convertible. If you are passing leigh delamere services on the M4 then look up and if the winds in the right direction then you will see us flying there. Once you have spotted your first glider then they are much easier to see but most will drive right underneath us and never know we are there. VGS train you and let you fly for free as an adult (subject to qualifying criteria and a commitment to time and driving winches and tractors and doing other jobs need to be done to fly) ... but gliding like simming is very definitely flying just for the fun and enjoyment of flying.As for GT Legends, if you are interested in racing online any time, let me know. I compete in a couple of GTL leagues at Gamers Crib (Muscle Car League on Saturday nights, and the (G)TC-65 League on Thursdays), the P&G2 World Sprint League on selected Tuesdays (I organise these double sprint format races), and I am about to compete in my first ever GTR2 League race tonight!
Haven't got around to online racing other than GPL but when I do you're on for a blast round an easy oval!! I tend to fly more. Definately have to be in the groove and have practised on the particular drive sime to be competitive!!All the bestRob.PS I note that your name appears on wikipedia!

Guest glidernut

Hi Robs,Im from Birmingham.It was me and Chesney that did the Vigilant, not John Point.But thats ok, its the sort of mistake I make all the time.You are right, I did enjoy the vidiows, I not know thay work on avsim.I could not fined any vidiows of the Vigilant on Utube.And Hi to every one els too,Its livening up around hear a bit, grate.all the best,glidernutJohn Lewis