Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

Windows 7 & FSX/FS9 Installation folders

Hi. With Windows 7 64-bit, it is possible to install FS9 and FSX into their own folders, isn't it?, folders which are not on the same drive as the operating system? I have read in other places that you must install to the default location (is that C:\Program Files (x86)\ ?) or "FS will not work". Other posts here seem to show that this is not true.My Win7 x64 installation is on a 60GB Corsair Force (SF1200) SSD - clearly there's not a whole lot of space there for FS9 & FSX too! I wanted to install them either onto a separate Corsair Force SSD (120GB) or possibly onto one of two Samsung SpinPoint F3s I have (2 x 1TB). If I really am restricted to installing FS into the Win7 x86 Program Files folder, I am clearly going to have a bit of a headache!I already have a copy David 'Opa' Marshall's post re. installing FS in Windows 7 (thanks David!) and obviously he has installed the programme into a folder other than the default with no problems. So why do I read that it mustn't be done as it will nobble the programmes? Thanks!Martin

Guest wims

I'm using W7 64 on an OCZ ssd with FSX and FS9 on a Samsung Spinpoint. It works perfectly fine :)

I'm using W7 64 on an OCZ ssd with FSX and FS9 on a Samsung Spinpoint. It works perfectly fine :)
I have FSX/FS9 on separate drive... you must select "advanced" at the beginning of the install or you miss the option to install elsewhere.FSX (anything) installed in PROGRAM FILES is closely monitored by OS and it becomes a nuisance to always be doing things as administrator, like editing aircraft cfg files and effects, etc.Loyd

OK, thanks. The question then is should I install FS9 and/or FSX onto my ultra-fast SSD or onto one of my Spinpoint F3 drives? I know from using Process Monitor that there are hundreds of reads of Fs9.exe per second and I am inclined to think that using an SF1200 SSD, with its very fast read speeds, for FS would give me some performance gain (with read speeds double that of the SATA drive. I would put the folder I use for 3rd. party addon airport scenery (huge in my setup) and also my FS Genesis terrain mesh folder onto one of the Samsung drives (well over 100GBs together). But most of the reads come from the FS9/scenery/world folder, so it would seem a good idea to have this (i.e. the FS9, in this case, main folder) on a fast SSD.Not sure if my 120GB SSD will have room for FS9 and FSX (with some folders moved to an HDD, as above).. possibly, but that's another question.Martin

FSX (anything) installed in PROGRAM FILES is closely monitored by OS and it becomes a nuisance to always be doing things as administrator, like editing aircraft cfg files and effects, etc.Loyd
Disable UAC, reboot. I've had no problems doing anything once this is disabled.

Guest wims

I dont think there would be much performance to be had from keeping FS on an ssd, except that it *might* eliminate the occasional stutter whenever the sim is loading new scenery / planes, especially if you do not defrag your hdds. One thing is certain, you wouldnt see any higher FPS by keeping the sim on an ssd