Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Flight Simulator X Acceleration Expansion Pack

Ok...it seems that there IS a difference between my standard SP2 and the SP2 version that comes with the: Flight Simulator X Acceleration Expansion PackOK...I still can't open the doors, etc of Carenado's Caravan, with the 'standard' SP2 service pack. This is post Caravan latest SP.So, I'm hoping that by installing the Expansion Pack, I will achieve two things,No further conflicts with developers that assume that everybody has the SP2 version that comes with The AEP.and..hopefully, the end to the occasional total freeze of the program (FSX) as a result of having the SP2 'standard' in place.Where can you buy it online where you can have it as a download format. I would like this right away, rather than having to wait for the postman to show up...lol.I have looked around on the Net with a Google search, but could not find a site that offers it as a download format. Thanks,Mitch Post Edit: Does anybody that has the Expansion Pack installed EVER have a freeze-up of FSX in any of their flight sessions? I do not have it installed to date, and get the occasional full on-monitor freeze-up, which if you wait it out, will unfreeze and continue your flight. I'm hoping that by installing the EP version of the SP2...that this would be ended. Any comments to this regard?

I'm pretty sure you cannot purchase it online...Best buy or Walmart might still have copies, otherwise online is the best, amazon has Gold for 30$ I believeI've never had it freeze up on me.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Oddly enough, the only version of FSX that the Microsoft Store offers as a "downloadable version" is "FSX Standard" edition...Even more odd, they don't sell the stand-alone "Acceleration" package at all!http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/Gaming/category/302

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Ok...it seems that there IS a difference between my standard SP2 and the SP2 version that comes with the: Flight Simulator X Acceleration Expansion PackOK...I still can't open the doors, etc of Carenado's Caravan, with the 'standard' SP2 service pack. This is post Caravan latest SP.So, I'm hoping that by installing the Expansion Pack, I will achieve two things,No further conflicts with developers that assume that everybody has the SP2 version that comes with The AEP.and..hopefully, the end to the occasional total freeze of the program (FSX) as a result of having the SP2 'standard' in place.Where can you buy it online where you can have it as a download format. I would like this right away, rather than having to wait for the postman to show up...lol.I have looked around on the Net with a Google search, but could not find a site that offers it as a download format. Thanks,Mitch Post Edit: Does anybody that has the Expansion Pack installed EVER have a freeze-up of FSX in any of their flight sessions? I do not have it installed to date, and get the occasional full on-monitor freeze-up, which if you wait it out, will unfreeze and continue your flight. I'm hoping that by installing the EP version of the SP2...that this would be ended. Any comments to this regard?
Hi Mitch,I have gone back from Acceleration to SP2 for some of the reasons you are trying to resolve. I have had issues with some add-on airport scenery with night lighting and performance issues to do with runway lights. Also, I got fed up with the Level D 767 not supporting acceleration properly (double engine starts and the FMC takeoff data being wiped out). Its swings and roundabouts, you'll fix one problem by using Acceleration only to create another problem elsewhere.I have had the freezing problem using Acceleration so I doubt it will resolve this issue for you either. This issue appears to be about thread collisions that cause all the CPU cores to max out at 100% but I haven't found any definitive explanation for it. All I can say is that I increased the process priority of fsx and I haven't had a freeze since. There is a fairly long thread in the FSX CTD forum on fsx freezing which may help you.If Carenado's Caravan needs Acceleration then thats probably a viable reason to upgrade. If not, unless you need helicoptor winching, aircraft carrier landings and a few extra default aircraft I would keep your money in your pocket.Best wishesSteve

Stephen Munn

I think there's something wrong with Flight Simulator on US version of Microsoft Store. it doesn't even show in "simulator" category. The UK store has all variants of FSX as download, acceleration is here: http://emea.microsof...-Expansion-Pack

Mike Krawczyk

A2A Simulations

Hi Mitch,I have gone back from Acceleration to SP2 for some of the reasons you are trying to resolve.I have had issues with some add-on airport scenery with night lighting and performance issues to do with runway lights. Also, I got fed up with the Level D 767 not supporting acceleration properly (double engine starts and the FMC takeoff data being wiped out). Its swings and roundabouts, you'll fix one problem by using Acceleration only to create another problem elsewhere.I have had the freezing problem using Acceleration so I doubt it will resolve this issue for you either. This issue appears to be about thread collisions that cause all the CPU cores to max out at 100% but I haven't found any definitive explanation for it. All I can say is that I increased the process priority of fsx and I haven't had a freeze since. There is a fairly long thread in the FSX CTD forum on fsx freezing which may help you.If Carenado's Caravan needs Acceleration then thats probably a viable reason to upgrade. If not, unless you need helicoptor winching, aircraft carrier landings and a few extra default aircraft I would keep your money in your pocket.Best wishesSteve
-------------------------------------------------Hi Steve, and also, thanks to all others that posted! Steve, I guess then that I forget about AEP, then. I only wanted it for the hope of no more freezes. (I will settle down with a coffee, and read that thread again!). I do expect Carenado to put out a patch to address the bug in the DOOR MANAGER window using the non AEP SP2.. Thanks for your response, as it pretty much tells me to forget it. I don't have any other issues with landing lights, etc, as you had whilst using AEP's SP2 version. Again, thanks for all the responses.Mitch

Mitch, For whatever it's worth. I'm running FSX with Acceleration and while on approach after a 3+ hour flight, I had a freeze. I haven't had a freeze in so long I can't remember. I think you jinxed me. Actually I'm more inclined to believe it's the video drivers.

NAX669.png

Mitch, For whatever it's worth. I'm running FSX with Acceleration and while on approach after a 3+ hour flight, I had a freeze. I haven't had a freeze in so long I can't remember. I think you jinxed me. Actually I'm more inclined to believe it's the video drivers.
-------------------------------------------------------------------As you, I get the 'freeze' and then ten minute release every so often. I read that long 'freeze up' thread in the CTD forum. It seems to affect every type of system and O.S.I guess that we have to live with it. Funny though, I went for the longest time without EVER having had this P.I.T.A. Whether it was an SP(x) that introduced it, or perhaps a combination of add-ons I purchased over time...who knows...but there seems to be no definitive 'fix'.The only actual 'fix' I have had for this frustration, (LOL) has been to fire up FS9...and just enjoy, freeze-uninterrupted. Had a great FS9 flight from Pittsburgh, to Halifax. With Microsoft seemingly no longer supporting FSX...it seems unlikely that there will be any code enhancement to fix this FSX scourge.Mitch

------------------------------------------------------------------- Had a great FS9 flight from Pittsburgh, to Halifax. With Microsoft seemingly no longer supporting FSX...it seems unlikely that there will be any code enhancement to fix this FSX scourge.Mitch
The next code enhancement will be called "Flight".

NAX669.png