Sign in to follow this  
SteveLewis

FS2004 autogen/framerate problem WORKAROUND!!!!

Guest luckyluca

thanks for the tip man!on my p3 800 I can now use dense autogen without stuttering. !!!I noticed the only way to include taxy signs and yellow lines at airports is setting the scenery building slider to NORMAL or superior.Is it possible to change a .cfg file to include both taxy signs and yellow lines even when slider set to 'very sparse' ?I reckon it could be something similar to the terrain.cfg tweak for autogen objects.thanksLuca

>People usually rename a file to something ending in .bak to>signify a 'backup' file. Say I wanted to edit an aircraft.cfg>file but wanted to keep the original around. What I would do>is fist 'Copy' the file to a Temp folder, then rename it to>aircraft.cfg.bak. Then I would move it back to the Aircraft's>folder that I originally copied it from. So in that Aircraft's>folder I would have...Why dance around so much? Simply right-click on the aircraft.cfg, select "Copy", right-clidk on folder, select "Paste..."Voila! You now have a file cleverly copied and renamed in two steps as "Copy of Aircraft.cfg" :)BillAVSIM OmbudsmanFounder and Director,Creative Recycling of Aircraft Partshttp://catholic-hymns.com/frbill/FS2002/images/fartslogo.jpg

Guest wathomas777

For the first time, I finally saw what you were talking about, but it was on climbout, not arrival.I run my system pretty hot most of the time.Cloud Draw to 50, 100% 3d Clouds (with FSW Cloud fix)Autogen and Scenery Complexity Full RightMesh at 96% (FSGenesis 38m installed)AI Traffic (Ultimate Traffic) at 100%Fair Weather Weather theme4X AF and Quincrux AA (I live with the quirks, Don't use the kneeboard much)(Athlon 2400XP, 128Meg FX5200 GF card, 640Meg PC2100 DDR on board)I can normally get between 15 and 24 in most areas.I set a flight to leave KATL for Narita and fired it up.I noticed Frames in the 10 region during rollout and expected that for the Atlanta area. As I continued my climbout up to 20000MSL, I noticed performance taking a hit, and quite a bit of hard drive thrashing. (Obviously I'm now using the swap file.)Side window view had dropped and was now 6 to 8, and outside view panning was very jerky and slow.So I simply saved the flight. Exited from Flight Sim, restarted Flight Sim and reloaded the flight. Immediately Frame rate trippled, panning had become smooth and swapfile usage had gone away.Something is definitely 'accumulating' and not being released. Had it been strictly a limitation of hardware, reloading the flight would not have had an effect on the Frames that it did. So obviously stuff is being rendered and then not released. When you save a flight, you obviously don't save all the scenery that was cached, just the position. So at 20000 MSL, when the flight was resumed, all that Autogen was never even loaded now, and thus the huge jump in frames.I will try your suggestions and see if they have an effect, but This is good stuff.

JimmiG,Let us know if MS ever replies (won't hold breath for MS to reply as I would probably die) to your email.

Eric 

Guest luckyluca

---sorry for replying, wrong position---thanks for the tip man!on my p3 800 I can now use dense autogen without stuttering. !!!I noticed the only way to include taxy signs and yellow lines at airports is setting the scenery building slider to NORMAL or superior.Is it possible to change a .cfg file to include both taxy signs and yellow lines even when slider set to 'very sparse' ?I reckon it could be something similar to the terrain.cfg tweak for autogen objects.thanks

Guest Kurt

Or right click on file and drag slightly until + sign appears and release, choose copy here.Kurt M

Guest B52Drivr

Hello All,Well, I have to tell you, I have tried just about everything to make 2004 perform as well as 2002 without buying a new P4 3.2 . . .(oh I will, but I would like to do it my choice, not now, when I need to spend money on other things which are really more important).I followed the instructions to the letter, loaded up fs9 in my usual default flight, KMEI to KATL, where I know EXACTALY where the FPS dip to the unbearable level, , and off I went . . . locked at 20, as usual, and now, almost unbelievably, it doesn't fall much below 18.OK, I was impressed . . . so it was off to KORD . . .same deal. OFF to KSEA . . .and again I was thrilled.All I can say is thanks guys!!!! You've allowed me to put off for a few months buying that new computer when I really need to spread the money around other places right now . . . (I have this beautiful Quarter Horse mare who has a date with a very pricy Stallion . . . and with luck we'll have a top foal next year). So, thanks again, it worked great with very little being given up for the increase in fps and smoothness!Best to allClayton T.Dopke (Clay)Major, USAF (retired)"Drac"

Guest wathomas777

It may work, but when I fly in rural areas, (like Amarillo TX, I distinctly notice the lack of any rural Autogen. If someone could do research and find out which objects are being "c ached. Perhaps there wouuld be a way to edit the .xml file and remove the offending file and then move on....

Guest 747drvr

Hi, I was thinking about this during my hop to europe yesterday..Think about this. There has been a confirmed memory leak when it comes to adding things like landclass etc. in a wrong folder. this xml document might be a last minute item that was added and might be suffering from the same problem. If someone were to take the extra autogen and place it into the original autogen folder and have these new objects pointing to that folder versus the xml(which is crap, part of a new programing language that does NOT work for gaming cfs3 used it exclusively)folder or whatever. I bet anyone it would work. Basically bypassing the xml and other folder and having it code out with the rest of the autogen.What do you think of my theory?

"I'm assuming it's possible to edit the default.xml file and omit most of the autogen "fluff", while keeping a few things (such as the rural autogen enhancements)."I tried editing the xml file today. Even with only very few autogen options enabled, there were framerate drops.A test flight I did:default.xml renamed: 37 FPSdefault.xml with only rural enhancements: 23 FPSfull default.xml: 11 FPSInterestingly the test flight was done over a city, not over a rural area.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Could someone give me the path to the FS9.cfg file, can't seem to find it? Does it go by a different name?Thanks

Guest freequest

>Could someone give me the path to the FS9.cfg file, can't>seem to find it? Does it go by a different name?its in C:Documents and SettingsApplication DataMicrosoftFS9its a hidden file you you have to go ans set up show hidden files in your folder options.Out