Sign in to follow this  
Cruachan

TrackIR 4 and FSX (no connection)

Hi,Before this post is moved I would just like to say that I have been down the correct route already with Vincent from NaturalPoint and unfortunately no solution has been found...yet! I'm hopeful that someone reading this here on the FSX Forum has found the definitive answer.This is an extract of my original request for support from NaturalPoint:TrackIR Pro 4.1 Build 37 is failing to connect to FSX. Seems fine with FS9,however.I haven't been simming for a while, but my installations remained intact on my HD. I'm still on XP SP3 and both FSX and FS9 run as well as ever apart from this problem with TrackIR and FSX (BTW I always disconnect TrackIRfrom its USB port when I'm not using it).I note that everything works as it should in the TrackIR software GUI. I start TrackIR first and then FSX. When FS9 is loading after a flight ischosen/set up I note that the name of the sim (FS 2004) appears against Current game: under the 'Main' tab in TrackIR. In the case of FSX thisstubbornly remains as 'None'.I have a few other programs that link using Simconnect (e.g. Active Sky Evolution and the weather engine component of REX FSX) and they seem to be working normally, so I'm forced to assume that Simconnect is not the problem, at least not as I understand it.The only reference to this issue that I've found in your forums, the poster's solution was to reinstall FSX (!?). It worked for him, but I amnot prepared to go down that same somewhat drastic and time consuming route. I have a highly customized installation which otherwise continues to work perfectly (or at least as well as my system allows - I tend to fly away from dense scenery areas and get pretty good performance).To carry out a repair install of FSX will, I assume, require the reinstallation of SP1 and SP2. It just seems a rather drastic route to go down when I have a very stable installation of FSX - very hard to give that up. Then there are, presumably, implications for various 3rd party addons which will require reinstallation and reconfiguration. I would prefer to avoid all that if at all possible.I don't wish to drag this out needlessly. Suffice it to say that I have been troubleshooting this with Vincent and everything checks out. My SimConnect installation appears to be functioning normally - Active Sky Evolution uses the version installed by FSX SP2 and the helpful text output from ASE, while processing, confirms that all is well. Ditto the weather depiction changes in FSX.I recorded a 10 second flight using FSRecorder which, as you may know, also uses Simconnect.Also, I ran a diagnostic on Simconnect (thanks to Pete Dowson): http://forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=58095&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a For the purposes of the log I fired up FSX and loaded the default situation at Friday Harbor. I then recorded 10 seconds of flight in the trike using FSRecorder which also uses Simconnect. Once again, and as far as I could tell, SimConnect seems to be working just fine.So, where does this leave me?If I am to avoid a fresh reinstall of FSX (which does seem rather unnecessary since SimConnect appears to be functioning correctly) or a Repair install of FSX followed by the application of SPs 1 and 2 then it seems to me I need to get my hands on the 3 msi installers for SimConnect (RTM, SP1 and SP2). This would allow me to delete those 3 SimConnect folders in the Windows\WinSxS folder and then reinstall them along with any necessary registry entries applied by each of the 3 installers. But where can I get them?I have a friend with a plain vanilla installation of FSX and he kindly agreed to install the FSX SDK which, I believe, installs that first folder in Windows\WinSxS. He then uninstalled the service packs followed by a repair install of FSX before reinstalling the 2 service packs again. Unfortunately this only provided me with the RTM and SP2 SimConnect.msi installers and the SP2 version fails to install stating "A network error occurred while attempting to read from the file: SimConnect.msi". Just my luck!Hopefully one of you has an answer to this problem. It really has proved to be extremely frustrating.Thanks.Mike

Hi Mike,Sorry you're having problems.You've probably already done this, but just to make sure: have you tried updating the game profiles within the TrackIR GUI? Perhaps it might also be worth reinstalling the TrackIR software?

"Even Ozzy's wagging his tail again. Liam who?"

Hi Mike; I had a similar issue - not with TIR, but with my first A2A Accusim model - the P47 Jug. I had none of the 50-odd sounds that are part of it, the pop-ups didn't work; the engine starter flywheel thingy didn't work: A2A walked me through a bunch of tests and we eventually downloaded a fresh version of Simconnect - and it worked!!!I couldn't believe it - because everything else worked, the whole sim appearing flawless. I had no other problem, but a new copy fixed it.Good Luck.Edit:- I found this while digging:-http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=151797(Courtesy of Dave Weese, SquawkBox.)http://squawkbox.ca/

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

we eventually downloaded a fresh version of Simconnect - and it worked!!!
Hi Paul,Any chance you can provide me with a link to this download, please?I suspect this may be all I need as well.Thanks,Mike

Hi Mike,Sorry you're having problems.You've probably already done this, but just to make sure: have you tried updating the game profiles within the TrackIR GUI? Perhaps it might also be worth reinstalling the TrackIR software?
Hi Charlie,These are things I haven't tried as yet. TrackIR appears to be working fine in other games, including FS9 - so I just assumed the installation was okay. Still, if nothing else works I'll give it a shot. As for the FSX game profile I'll certainly try updating it and report back.Thanks.Mike

Hi Paul,Any chance you can provide me with a link to this download, please?I suspect this may be all I need as well.Thanks,Mike
It's in the Library, Mike. It's called "how_to_simconnect.zip"http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=151797There's also another troubleshooting doc in your ActiveSkyX documentation, if you have it. Also - the simconnect.dll is part of SP1, so if you uninstall SP2, and then do a repair, then install SP1, followed by SP2 - you should now have a fresh copy of the dll. It is also on the SDK, but if you have SP2 installed you will need to download the SDK for SP2 and then go from there.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Hi Charlie,These are things I haven't tried as yet. TrackIR appears to be working fine in other games, including FS9 - so I just assumed the installation was okay. Still, if nothing else works I'll give it a shot. As for the FSX game profile I'll certainly try updating it and report back.Thanks.Mike
Hi Charlie,No joy updating the profiles and the software appears to be current.TrackIR software fails to detect that FSX is the Current Game. All it reports is 'None' :(Regards,Mike

It's in the Library, Mike. It's called "how_to_simconnect.zip"http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=151797
Hi Paul,I did look at it. Seems very complicated and I wasn't clear whether this would also apply to TrackIR or, indeed, any software requiring to connect with FSX via SimConnect. Vincent (NaturalPoint) did his best to help me, but he didn't mention anything about these instructions - surely he must be aware of their existence as my research appears to indicate that I am far from being alone with this problem.Regards,Mike

Sorry I was editing my previous post and looking up my old P47 post on A2A: I was wrong - I ended up uninstalling FSX, cleaning up and reinstalling everything.Here's the path for the 2 Service Packs:-http://www.microsoft.com/Products/Games/FSInsider/downloads/Pages/default.aspxFor the SDK's:- SP1ahttp://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=24910e66-96b0-4543-9b4a-647b7e28f212For the SP2 SDK:-http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ptaylor/archive/2007/12/17/fsx-sp2-sdk-is-available-for-download.aspxand:-http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17961 - Dave Torkington's post.Simconnect troubleshooting - courtesy of HiFiSim's Active SkyX documentaion:-SimConnect TroubleshootingSimConnect not found errorNote: FSX SP2 includes SP1 SimConnect which is required by ASX. FSX SP1 is the minimum FSX version supported.Some users may experience trouble with SimConnect installation preventing proper operation of ASX or other SimConnect add-ons. You may receive the following message during ASX startup:Simconnect SP1 managed version was not found to be correctly installed on this system. It is recommended to uninstall and reinstall the FSX SP1 update so this can be repaired. To uninstall, use add/remove programs and enable the 'Show updates' checkbox to make the SP1 update visible. Remove it then re-install. This will usually correct the situation. If you continue having problems please see the ASX Documentation SimConnect Troubleshooting section.Reinstalling the FSX SP1/SP2 update (recommended procedure)The first step in attempting to repair your SimConnect installation is to uninstall/reinstall FSX SP1/SP2 update. If both SP1 and SP2 items are shown choose the latest (SP2). Removal is done in add/remove programs, making sure to check the "Show updates" box to see the SP1 or SP2 update entry (if XP) or choosing the "View installed updates" option in (Vista).The majority of potential installation issues will be solved with this method.Manual deletion and reinstallation (if recommended reinstall procedure does not fix the problem)If further problems are experienced, the actual SP1 SimConnect installation may be damaged/corrupt and the normal reinstall procedure may not work to correct the situation. If the described reinstall does not work, please follow these instructions to force a manual reinstallation: * Uninstall/remove the SP1 (or SP2, use the latest installed) update as described above in the recommended procedure Using Windows Explorer, locate the folder: C:\Windows\winsxs\ (your Windows folder may be different if you chose to install it into another location. C:\Windows is the normal default) In this folder will be the entry: x86_microsoft.flightsimulator.simconnect_67c7c14424d61b5b_10.0.61242.0_none_e079b46b85043c20 Delete this entry by highlighting it and pressing the DELETE key on your keyboard (confirm YES to delete) Reinstall the FSX SP1 or SP2 update (latest you wish to install)

Sorry I was editing my previous post and looking up my old P47 post on A2A: I was wrong - I ended up uninstalling FSX, cleaning up and reinstalling everything.Here's the path for the 2 Service Packs:-http://www.microsoft.com/Products/Games/FSInsider/downloads/Pages/default.aspxFor the SDK's:- SP1ahttp://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=24910e66-96b0-4543-9b4a-647b7e28f212For the SP2 SDK:-http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ptaylor/archive/2007/12/17/fsx-sp2-sdk-is-available-for-download.aspxand:-http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17961 - Dave Torkington's post.Simconnect troubleshooting - courtesy of HiFiSim's Active SkyX documentaion:-SimConnect TroubleshootingSimConnect not found errorNote: FSX SP2 includes SP1 SimConnect which is required by ASX. FSX SP1 is the minimum FSX version supported.Some users may experience trouble with SimConnect installation preventing proper operation of ASX or other SimConnect add-ons. You may receive the following message during ASX startup:Simconnect SP1 managed version was not found to be correctly installed on this system. It is recommended to uninstall and reinstall the FSX SP1 update so this can be repaired. To uninstall, use add/remove programs and enable the 'Show updates' checkbox to make the SP1 update visible. Remove it then re-install. This will usually correct the situation. If you continue having problems please see the ASX Documentation SimConnect Troubleshooting section.Reinstalling the FSX SP1/SP2 update (recommended procedure)The first step in attempting to repair your SimConnect installation is to uninstall/reinstall FSX SP1/SP2 update. If both SP1 and SP2 items are shown choose the latest (SP2). Removal is done in add/remove programs, making sure to check the "Show updates" box to see the SP1 or SP2 update entry (if XP) or choosing the "View installed updates" option in (Vista).The majority of potential installation issues will be solved with this method.Manual deletion and reinstallation (if recommended reinstall procedure does not fix the problem)If further problems are experienced, the actual SP1 SimConnect installation may be damaged/corrupt and the normal reinstall procedure may not work to correct the situation. If the described reinstall does not work, please follow these instructions to force a manual reinstallation: * Uninstall/remove the SP1 (or SP2, use the latest installed) update as described above in the recommended procedure Using Windows Explorer, locate the folder: C:\Windows\winsxs\ (your Windows folder may be different if you chose to install it into another location. C:\Windows is the normal default) In this folder will be the entry: x86_microsoft.flightsimulator.simconnect_67c7c14424d61b5b_10.0.61242.0_none_e079b46b85043c20 Delete this entry by highlighting it and pressing the DELETE key on your keyboard (confirm YES to delete) Reinstall the FSX SP1 or SP2 update (latest you wish to install)
Hi Paul,Wow! Thanks for the very comprehensive reply. This will take some digesting!If I have to go down the FSX repair route (which I would rather not) what exactly does the repair do and does this have implications for 3rd Party Addons?These are the MS FSX-related entries listed in my ADD or Remove Programs:Is anything missing (SP1?)Thanks again for your help.I do have the ActiveSkyX documentation and I note the SimConnect troubleshooting section - will study. If nothing else, at the end of all this I will have gained a greater understanding of all matters SimConnect..LOL Oh how I yearn for the days when FSUIPC was king.Regards,Mike

What exactly does the repair do and does this have implications for 3rd Party Addons?These are the MS FSX-related entries listed in my ADD or Remove Programs:Is anything missing (SP1?)Mike
Hi Mike; Do the uninstall of SP2 first, then - when you pop in FSX CD1- you will get an option to "Repair"; when it's selected it will go through every FSX folder and replace any file that is missing or is the wrong size. It will not have any impact whatsoever on your addons, though I suspect addon traffic has to be affected, as it will probably put back the traffic.bgl that is moved or renamed when you add a proprietary package. You should also copy/save your fsx.cfg and your logbook beforehand: other than that it's pretty straightforward. Once it's finished, install SP1, then SP2 - just as it's written in HiFiSim's instructions, then run the sim once, to see if it's fixed, then add back your fsx.cfg and logbook.Nope - SP1 doesn't make an entry into the Add/Remove section of the Control Panel. After you've uninstalled SP2 and done the repair you will be at the RTM level of FSX, and it will need SP1.Hang in there - it will get fixed! Good Luck.

Hi Mike; Do the uninstall of SP2 first, then - when you pop in FSX CD1- you will get an option to "Repair"; when it's selected it will go through every FSX folder and replace any file that is missing or is the wrong size. It will not have any impact whatsoever on your addons, though I suspect addon traffic has to be affected, as it will probably put back the traffic.bgl that is moved or renamed when you add a proprietary package. You should also copy/save your fsx.cfg and your logbook beforehand: other than that it's pretty straightforward. Once it's finished, install SP1, then SP2 - just as it's written in HiFiSim's instructions, then run the sim once, to see if it's fixed, then add back your fsx.cfg and logbook.Nope - SP1 doesn't make an entry into the Add/Remove section of the Control Panel. After you've uninstalled SP2 and done the repair you will be at the RTM level of FSX, and it will need SP1.Hang in there - it will get fixed! Good Luck.
Hi Paul,Thanks again, I appreciate the time you have taken to help me out and thanks also to the other responders for their input as well.I must say, your inspiring positive attitude fills me with renewed confidence.I think I am going to give it a try - watch this space!Fingers crossed!Regards,MikeOh, a couple of other points, if a may:1. Am I correct in assuming that a repair will likely have an impact on *******' shader model tweak?2. Will a repair destroy any installed textures from 3rd party providers - thinking of REX, FEX, GEX (Europe, USA and Canada) and Ultimate Terrain FSX? I know I can reinstall them, but it's remembering the original chosen combination, that's my problem - I like what I'm seeing and I'd hate to lose the combo.

1. Am I correct in assuming that a repair will likely have an impact on *******' shader model tweak?
Yes - but I think only because it will create a new fsx.cfg.
2. Will a repair destroy any installed textures from 3rd party providers - thinking of REX, FEX, GEX (Europe, USA and Canada) and Ultimate Terrain FSX? I know I can reinstall them, but it's remembering the original chosen combination, that's my problem - I like what I'm seeing and I'd hate to lose the combo.
Yes it will, so set them to the original default settings before the repair. FTX does it automatically with a button click: REX, I think you have to move back the original, saved files, but I'm not sure of that, and UTX is a one-click.Someone else might give a clearer explanation than I can, as I'm at work at the moment.

Yes it will, so set them to the original default settings before the repair. FTX does it automatically with a button click: REX, I think you have to move back the original, saved files, but I'm not sure of that, and UTX is a one-click.Someone else might give a clearer explanation than I can, as I'm at work at the moment.
Hi Paul,That's definitely going to be a pain. Now you understand why I'm still feeling very reluctant (although I do appreciate it may, in the end, be necessary) to go down this route.I can't get my head around the fact that my SimConnect installation seems to be okay when stuff like ASE and FSRecorder are working fine. Moreover, the log file created (method courtesy of Pete Dowson) while capturing a 10sec recording using FSRecorder appears to confirm all is well - I've been through it and no errors were reported. Yet it doesn't work with TrackIR. Why? :( To satisfy my curiosity, could I ask you to look at those 3 SimConnect folders under WinSxS, please, and tell me, in each case, the version number that appears in the folder name and the corresponding version number of the SimConnect.dll file found in each of these 3 folders.Would it not be possible to repair the SimConnect installation by simply deleting these 3 folders and, assuming they are available for download, run the three SimConnect.msi installers (RTM, SP1 and SP2) to reinstate these folders and overwrite/refresh any existing registry data entries? I imagine this solution, while desirable and certainly preferable, is far too obvious and simplistic and, even if possible, begs the question where these installers can be located for download. Is it any wonder I stuck with XP and resisted Microsoft's attempts to win me over to Windows 7?! I read today that, like me, there are still 50-70% of users throughout the world who see little reason to change, mostly because we don't need the hassle and XP still satisfies our requirements perfectly well. Sorry, I just had to get that off my chest...again :( LOLRegards,MikeEdit: Well now, what do you, or anyone else, make of this:I came across ADE9X Environment Checker - very useful utility. When first run it determined that the trailing backslash for the paths in the registry for FS9 and FSX were both missing. This was corrected.Under Tools I then selected Connect to FSX via SinConnect...[/b] and the result can be seen in the captured images below:Once again, my SimConnect installation seems okay.This really is exasperating!Regards,Mike

Hey Mike: Here's what I have in WinSxS:-x86_microsoft.flightsimulator.simconnect_67c7c14424d61b5b_10.0.60905.0_none_dd92b94d8a196297(version 10.0.60905.0 (for RTM))x86_microsoft.flightsimulator.simconnect_67c7c14424d61b5b_10.0.61242.0_none_e079b46b85043c20(version 10.0.61355.0 (for SP1))x86_microsoft.flightsimulator.simconnect_67c7c14424d61b5b_10.0.61259.0_none_55f5ecdc14f60568(version 10.0.61637.0 (for the Expansion Pack)I can't find much more that's useful for this dll, Mike. It's totally strange that it works fine with FS9. Personally I would refer back to Vince at NP, as it's their software that's having the issue. It would also be good if some of the more knowledgeable Avsim experts/devs would chip in on this, as I'm all clue'd out. :(