Sign in to follow this  
acmech

fs9exe. set affinity freeware program

Hi guys,I did some research and found this little freeware program at tomshardware that you can use to set fs9 exe. or any other programs affinity. Maybe, some tech head, can give some feed back on what the best setting for fs9 or maybe other tips for getting the most out of todays hardware.The link @ tomshardware was dead ,so I found another link for the download. ----> http://www.xdowns.com/soft/download.asp?softid=19069I have tested it on win7 64 bit and xp pro 32 bit both worked fine.

FS9.exe is a single core program only, so it doesn't matter what core it runs on. Where that utility comes in handy is setting other FS9 programs that run at the same time as FS9 to run on other cores besides core zero. This gives FS9 the full use of that first core. If you have a powerful system, it probably won't matter much anyway for FS9.

The link @ tomshardware was dead ,so I found another link for the download. ----> http://www.xdowns.co...sp?softid=19069I have tested it on win7 64 bit and xp pro 32 bit both worked fine.
That link leads to a Chinese website. I think I'll pass . . . :(

That link leads to a Chinese website. I think I'll pass . . . :(
I tested it with AVG anti virus no problems at all.

I tested it with AVG anti virus no problems at all.
AVG? "You get what you pay for . . ." Just%20Kidding.gif

Thanks, Jean-Jaques. Just to be clear, I was joking before about AVG Free -- after pulling my hair out with all of the commercial bloatware out there that passes as anti-virus software (but which in reality is itself far worse on a daily basis than any virus) I use it exclusively on all my computers. Best damn anitvirus software I've ever found, and the least invasive.But I WILL stay away from Chinese sites in any event -- if only on principal alone. Black%20Eye.gif

AVG? "You get what you pay for . . ." Just%20Kidding.gif
Well Trelane,I PAID for AVG. Am running Version 9.0.862. Best thing since sliced bread, never been infected but sorted a few. I also run Malwarebytes but I think that works on different parameters. I got what I paid for and it does what it says on the tin!Dave :(

It is a shame when someone wants to help others out and some people have nothing better to do then complain.... :( Thanks for the comments to all the other gentlemen. :(

It is a shame when someone wants to help others out and some people have nothing better to do then complain.... Shame On You.gif Thanks for the comments to all the other gentlemen. Big Grin.gif
Please. I already said I was kidding about AVG (read the whole thread). But some (like me) may feel that a blind link left in a public forum to a Chinese website could be considered A) dangerous and , :( irresponsible. You HAVE heard that some Chinese sites can be dangerous? I wanted to warn people that come to this thread now (and in the future) that the link led to a CHINESE site. And NO anti-virus software is infallible. I've always been very grateful, and helpful, here, which is what I was trying to be.

1. Any site can be dangerous if it is set up to be dangerous.2. You wouldn't know a Chinese site from a French site from an American site unless you did some research ahead of time. No, you can't tell from the language that is being used.

1. Any site can be dangerous if it is set up to be dangerous.2. You wouldn't know a Chinese site from a French site from an American site unless you did some research ahead of time. No, you can't tell from the language that is being used.
Jim: Google toolbar will tell you.In any event, I'm unsuscribing from this thread. As Monty Python once said: "It is a silly place. . ." and I will think twice before I try to help again as well.

Let me get back on topic here.FS9 is a single thread program. But if investigate a bit in depth, you'll see there are some system threads attached to the process.This is a pure speculation on my side without any good knowledge of Windows internals but I believe this means by restricting FS9 to one core only, you do restrict some threads that could run on the other core as well. When I let FS9 use both cores I do occasionally notice the processor usage jump slightly above 50%. This could be an error in the Task Manager measurements though.But let me clarify that the difference would be so small that you would never notice in in flight.So sure, put all non-FS9 processes to one core and FS9 to the other or both. Btw, if I put FS9 to the first core and all other processes to the second one, my system crashes ;) Got to put FS9 to core 2 and the rest to core 1.Hope this helps.