Sign in to follow this  
MrGreen

NGX Type Rating

Hey everyone! I got my Captain Manuals set last week and have been reading through the first few chapters of FCOM 2 and taken a sneak peak at the FCTM (couldn't resist). What im wondering is: Whats the best way to read and learn the manuals? Should you start with the FCOM 1 or 2, or read the FCTM first? Should you just scan through the two Operations manuals and then use the procedures sections in while familiarizing yourself with the aricraft, or keep notes of everything like youre studying for a test?If i were to do a type rating for the 737 NG, what would i be expected to memorize? For example do you need to know the full limitations and supplementary procedures by memory?I know this is a bit overkill and i might not even follow all the instructions if they are to keep notes of 3000 pages of material, but humour me ;)

I am starting in the FCTM because it covers piloting principal type stuff and not really AC specific stuff. I feel that understanding the FCOM might require knowledge of some of what is covered in the FCTM. I will not be skimming. I want to study carefully so I don't miss anything. I have little sticky note strips that I use to mark the page of something that I thing is important. If I need to write a note, I have regular sticky notes for that. I highlight main points or important things so that later I can just scan the page and pick out the important things by reading what is highlighted. Hops this helps!

I've taken the opposite approach - I am reading FCOM vol. 2 and learning all about every single system, then I will go into the FCTM. Loving it

Noah Bryant

I wouldn't consider the source 100% reliable, but the questions look relatively valid.http://www.b737.org.uk/typeratingexam.htm

Kyle Rodgers

I've taken the same approach thus far as Noah is, but your way, Ethan, seems to be just as good. Hmm what should i do :( :biggrin:I guess there is no "right" way, but i'd love to hear more opinions as i don't know which part needs knowledge from another etc. I guess you could read the procedures in FCOM 1 and then look up specific chapters like automatic flight from FCOM 2 whenever they are mentioned. It almost feels wrong to read FCTM first as its so interesting ;) Like a novel hehe... (wow am i a geek or what?)

Hi Guys,Not sure if its still the same today. However, In the past, Boeing has recommended the study (classroom) sequence listed below.Aircraft generalEmergency equipmentElectricalFuelPowerplantAPUFire protectionPneumaticsAir conditioning and pressurizationIce and rain protectionHydraulic powerFlight controlsLanding gear and brakesCommunicationsFlight instruments and FMSNavigationAutomatic flightWarningsLimitationsNormal procedures and QRHEmergency and abnormal procedures and QRHStudy memory items (check lists)Performance and flight planningFCTM (before simulator)Study profiles, speeds and configurations for simulator

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

I agree with Mike. :( I think a complete understanding of all systems, prior to OPs training is essential.God Bless the United States of America, :( BillyBob

If i were to do a type rating for the 737 NG, what would i be expected to memorize? For example do you need to know the full limitations and supplementary procedures by memory?
I've just completed my type rating on the 737NG. You are expected to have a good knowledge of the system limitations, operations and fault/failure indications (what does the light mean). Not so much on how to fix the problem - thats what the QRH is for. In regards to knowing supplementary procedures - there is no reason to have these memorised. You hardly use these is day to day operations and when you have to do have to do it you get the manual out/cockpit paper explosion

Thanks a lot for all the answers. With Michael's and Ian's answers i think im set to learn the PMDG NGX inside out :)

Thanks a lot for all the answers. With Michael's and Ian's answers i think im set to learn the PMDG NGX inside out :)
An old public service TV moto from the old felon infested Portland Trailblazers, "I order to achieve you must read" :(

Hey everyone! I got my Captain Manuals set last week and have been reading through the first few chapters of FCOM 2 and taken a sneak peak at the FCTM (couldn't resist). What im wondering is: Whats the best way to read and learn the manuals? Should you start with the FCOM 1 or 2, or read the FCTM first? Should you just scan through the two Operations manuals and then use the procedures sections in while familiarizing yourself with the aricraft, or keep notes of everything like youre studying for a test?If i were to do a type rating for the 737 NG, what would i be expected to memorize? For example do you need to know the full limitations and supplementary procedures by memory?I know this is a bit overkill and i might not even follow all the instructions if they are to keep notes of 3000 pages of material, but humour me ;)
Hi Mr. Green,I can only speak for the A320, as that's the one I fly. When I did my type rating. We where required to memorize ALL of the normal procedures and assotiated flows, checklist responses, aircraft systems, relevant limitations. (some training captains will test you in varius ways, like: minimum oil quantity for flight, oil temp limitations, starter motor limitations etc etc) Then there is the memory items. On the Airbus we have 7 (I belive the 737NG has 13) you will be tested in them on your bi-annual check. You should also know where to find supplimentary procedures. The supplimentary procedures are read and do checklist while the normal procedures are done from memory. You are also required to know your operational procedures, weather minima, IFR procedures and minimums. Then there is the local state procedures and local airport procedures. Good day from your neighbour country,Martin DahlerupCopenhagen

Thanks mate! I guess the next step for me after NGX would have to be getting a PPL and onwards, it seems PMDG is making FSX so realistic it will soon be more realistic than reality ;)

I believe since PMDG has produced manual sets for NGX, MD-11 and B747-400X, they should design aircraft full type rating courses and provide type rated licenses for FSX Pilots once they're successful in completing those courses. What do you guyz say? After all, PMDG is AWESOME!!! :( :( :( B) B) 5-STAR RATING!!!