Sign in to follow this  
Robbie John Armstrong

Can anyone help me with my FMC for the PMDG 747?

Does anyone know the easiest way to do a flightplan in the simplest way and form.For example - EDDF to EGLLI want to fly this short route but have no idea what route points to put in, let alone the names of them and where I can find them from.I also have problems with what the SIDS and STARS are and sometimes getting my desired speed and height.I've worked out how to do a ILS landing easy and doing all the preparation for the flight but it's the flightplan and what to do with it.Please help.

Here's a route from vataware.com you can find any flight when you enter the airport ICAO in the "City Pair" search, I entered EDDF-EGLL:SOBRA3L/18 SOBRA Y181 BITBU Y181 MAKIK UY181 DEMUL UM624 BUB UL608 LOGANSOBRA3L/18 is the SID departing RWY 18 and you would fly to SOBRA then Y181 etc.After entering your setup data go to the route page and begin by selecting the DEP/ARR button and press 1 LSK to select EDDF departure. First select the RWY (in this case it is RWY 18) and it will present to you the available SID's and transitions. Enter the route exactly as shown above, except for the SID and STAR which have to be entered manually.As for the arrival I believe it would be the LAM3 arrival if memory serves me correct. After you enter your perf and routing info and have activated the flight plan you should be able to press the LNAV and VNAV buttons once the flight director has been selected. You can manually fly the takeoff following the cues (crosshair) in the PFD in front of you until you reach about 1000' which at that point you will select the center CMD button.If you have programmed everything correctly the aircraft will follow the route and climb to the altitude you have selected, in this case if you are flying west then you would select an even numbered one like FL320 (32000) the aircraft will climb as per its limits based on what the FMC reads.A good way to learn is to complete the 747 flight tutorial and do a search for an FMC tutorial on youtube.This is the flight from EDDF to EGLL, it can be found here:http://vataware.com/flight.cfm?id=6896788

\Robert Hamlich/

Here's a route from vataware.com you can find any flight when you enter the airport ICAO in the "City Pair" search, I entered EDDF-EGLL:SOBRA3L/18 SOBRA Y181 BITBU Y181 MAKIK UY181 DEMUL UM624 BUB UL608 LOGANSOBRA3L/18 is the SID departing RWY 18 and you would fly to SOBRA then Y181 etc.After entering your setup data go to the route page and begin by selecting the DEP/ARR button and press 1 LSK to select EDDF departure. First select the RWY (in this case it is RWY 18) and it will present to you the available SID's and transitions. Enter the route exactly as shown above, except for the SID and STAR which have to be entered manually.As for the arrival I believe it would be the LAM3 arrival if memory serves me correct. After you enter your perf and routing info and have activated the flight plan you should be able to press the LNAV and VNAV buttons once the flight director has been selected. You can manually fly the takeoff following the cues (crosshair) in the PFD in front of you until you reach about 1000' which at that point you will select the center CMD button.If you have programmed everything correctly the aircraft will follow the route and climb to the altitude you have selected, in this case if you are flying west then you would select an even numbered one like FL320 (32000) the aircraft will climb as per its limits based on what the FMC reads.A good way to learn is to complete the 747 flight tutorial and do a search for an FMC tutorial on youtube.This is the flight from EDDF to EGLL, it can be found here:http://vataware.com/....cfm?id=6896788
Thanks for the feedback Robert,When I did this flightplan - http://vataware.com/....cfm?id=5080539 - I did the following below in order. If you could open Flight Simulator (if you have one) and do the same thing as me and realize my mistake, that would be good.------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------POS INIT PAGE ---YSSY / 2LACT RTE 1 PAGE ---YSSY / 1LWSSS / 1R34L / 2LQF31 / 2RPERF INIT PAGE ---FL360 / 1R(clicked) / 3L20 / 4L350 / 5LTHRUST LIMIT PAGE ---35 / 1L(1R changed automatically to 101.9%)TAKEOFF PAGE ---20 / 1L1500 / 2Lclicked / 4R - Trim 6.0I went to DEP/ARR page and selected 34L as the departure runway with KAT1 as the SID.------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Then the cockpit caution alarm went off and said 'FMC MESSAGE'Went to the FMC and it said MAX ALT FL345What did I do wrong, Is it my payload and fuel, Is it my programming?Thank you for the reply

hi if u watch this 10 part lesson s probably the best aound he shows u from start to finish on how to get to one point toi anotherhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzG5IYgVFWo

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Thanks for the feedback Robert,When I did this flightplan - http://vataware.com/....cfm?id=5080539 - I did the following below in order. If you could open Flight Simulator (if you have one) and do the same thing as me and realize my mistake, that would be good.------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------POS INIT PAGE ---YSSY / 2LACT RTE 1 PAGE ---YSSY / 1LWSSS / 1R34L / 2LQF31 / 2RPERF INIT PAGE ---FL360 / 1R(clicked) / 3L20 / 4L350 / 5LTHRUST LIMIT PAGE ---35 / 1L(1R changed automatically to 101.9%)TAKEOFF PAGE ---20 / 1L1500 / 2Lclicked / 4R - Trim 6.0I went to DEP/ARR page and selected 34L as the departure runway with KAT1 as the SID.------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Then the cockpit caution alarm went off and said 'FMC MESSAGE'Went to the FMC and it said MAX ALT FL345What did I do wrong, Is it my payload and fuel, Is it my programming?Thank you for the reply
Robbie -Based on my limited understanding of the FMC, I don't think you did anything wrong in programming other than ask a heavy A/C to climb too fast. It's telling you that you can't do FL360 right away...when some fuel burns off you might be able to step climb higher (check the VNAV pages for that info).If I'm off on this somebody else chime in!

Matt Smith

Prepar3D

Hi RobbieI think you will find that most of us use FSBUILD http://www.fsbuild.com/ to create flight plans that can be saved in PMDG format. Once in the cockpit the plan can be entered into the FMC and then its just a case of runway and SID/STAR entry. This will also let you see the legs etc in the FMC for reference.Or, use RouteFinder http://rfinder.asalink.net/free/ and then manually enter the waypoints into the FMC if you prefer.Hope this points you in the right direction. As an old school teacher once said to me; "if all else fails, read the instructions" :( (user manual).

Guest 413X3

Another vote for the free routefinder. Although sometimes it won't do a route, like llbg to eddk

Hi everyone and thanks for your advise to my dilemma.I have downloaded a zip file with flightplans to/from EGLL and worked out how to use the FMC to a limit. At the moment I'm in the British Airways 747-400 on route EGLL-EDDK (Cologne-Bonn Airport)Although it's not a real flight, it's still good practice on the aircraft. So I'm fine with the FMC Flightplan to and from EGLL but I'm still confused what to do If EGLL is not included in a flight like YSSY-YMML / SYD - MEL?PS. I found out what was wrong with my speen and heading. I didn't put the alt higher than 10'000ft (default). Guess this aircraft is more realistic than I thought. =DPlease help me with my flightplan problem.