Sign in to follow this  
vector

Altitude callout gauge

HiI found some information in the library submitted by David Marshall regarding adding the FPDA callout gauge and .wav files to FS2004 so that they could be used in the panel of any aircraft.The instructions were quite straightforward to follow and I placed the .gau and .wav files in their correct folders. I am also quite comfortable with editing a panel.cfg file so I added the gauge to the panel of Carenado's Mooney M20J. However, it doesn't work and I don't get any height callouts - oh dear!!I am running everything under Windows 7 32 bit. Am I up against an insoluble problem here - in other words, the gauge and sound files won't necessarily work with any aircraft?Thanks for any help or ideas.David

Guest belga1

Hello,Just out curiosity .. can you post the stances of the panel.cfg (those who contain your added callout gauge string)Regards.bye.gifGus.

Hi GusHere it is - copied and pasted from the instructions which came with the download.// added for altitude calloutgauge41=FPDA_Boeing_Callout, 10, 100 //next available gauge number was used i.e. 41David

Have you tried it in another aircraft -- like one of the defaults? That would have been the first thing I would have done. I think I would have wanted to see more of the panel.cfg, too.Just my two cents.

Guest belga1

Hello,

gauge41=FPDA_Boeing_Callout, 10, 100
Indeed syntax is good.Be sure of the good location of the sound files and as suggested .. try with a default planeThose callouts work with all my planes (free or payware)And post again YOUR panel.cfg string (window00) instead the one of the readme :)Like this:[Window00]file=747_Background_640.bmpfile_1024=747_Background_1024.bmpsize_mm=640position=7visible=1ident=MAIN_PANELgauge00=Boeing747-400!Nav-GPS Switch, 212, 98gauge01=Boeing747-400!Nav Display Switch, 264, 98gauge02=Boeing747-400!Primary Flight Display Switch, 158, 98gauge03=Boeing747-400!EICAS Display Switch, 469, 98gauge04=Boeing747-400!Standby Attitude Indicator, 349, 88gauge05=Boeing747-400!Standby Airspeed Indicator, 348, 168gauge06=Boeing747-400!Standby Altimeter, 348, 248gauge07=Boeing747-400!Autobrakes Switch, 521, 90gauge08=Boeing747-400!Gear Lever, 603, 87gauge09=Boeing747-400!Autothrottle Switch, 275, 19gauge10=Boeing747-400!Flight Director Switch, 275, 49gauge11=Boeing747-400!Primary Flight Display, 1, 126gauge12=Boeing747-400!Multi-Function Display, 175, 126gauge13=Boeing747-400!EICAS Display, 443, 145gauge14=Boeing747-400!Chronograph Switch, 0, 56gauge30=Boeing747-400!Autopilot IAS-Mach Switch, 295, 21gauge31=Boeing747-400!Autopilot Speed Switch, 295, 46gauge32=Boeing747-400!Autopilot IAS-Mach Selector, 329, 44gauge33=Boeing747-400!Autopilot IAS-Mach Window, 321, 26gauge34=Boeing747-400!Autopilot Nav Switch, 363, 18gauge35=Boeing747-400!Autopilot Hdg Switch, 363, 43gauge36=Boeing747-400!Autopilot Heading Selector, 385, 40gauge37=Boeing747-400!Autopilot Heading Window, 391, 26gauge38=Boeing747-400!Autopilot VS Switch, 454, 43gauge39=Boeing747-400!Autopilot VS Selector, 498, 23gauge40=Boeing747-400!Autopilot VS Window, 446, 26gauge41=Boeing747-400!Autopilot Altitude Selector, 531, 42gauge42=Boeing747-400!Autopilot Altitude Hold Switch, 561, 42gauge43=Boeing747-400!Autopilot Altitude Window, 533, 26gauge44=Boeing747-400!Autopilot Localizer Switch, 587, 20gauge45=Boeing747-400!Autopilot Approach Switch, 587, 45gauge46=Boeing747-400!Autopilot Master Switch, 615, 36gauge47=Boeing747-400!Master Warning Light, 220, 25gauge50=SimIcons!Clock Icon, 16, 111gauge51=SimIcons!Kneeboard Icon, 30, 111gauge52=SimIcons!ATC Icon, 44, 111gauge53=SimIcons!Overhead Icon, 114, 111gauge54=SimIcons!ECU Icon, 100, 111gauge55=SimIcons!Map Icon, 58, 111gauge56=SimIcons!Avionics Icon, 72, 111gauge57=SimIcons!GPS Icon, 86, 111gauge58=FPDA_Boeing_Callout, 10, 100Regards.bye.gifGus.

Those callouts work with all my planes (free or payware)
Indeed, I agree with Gus: mine as well. I even get multiple call outs from some of my payware because I keep forgetting to deactivate it in certain a/c! dry.gif

Thanks for the replies, guys.I'll try some more research this evening and post back here again later.David

Its worth checking that you have:

1. Put the gauge in the Flight Simulator 9\gauges directory
  2. Put the sound files in the Flight Simulator 9\sound directory

Aside of that, I can't think of any reason why it shouldn't work.John

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

Well guys, I have checked everything you have suggested and found things to be as recommended.I have also checked file and folder permissions, and owners as well, making sure that the .wav and .gau files have the same permissions as all the other files in these folders. OK here as well.I've installed into the VFR and IFR panels of the default C172 - horrible a/c!! - and done several ILS as well as non-ILS approaches but still no altitude callouts.Does anyone know of any other callout gauges I could d/l and try? Doesn't matter if not as I only fly the Carenado Mooney and I doubt if one was every equipped with this facility!!Many thanks again.David

Well guys, I have checked everything you have suggested and found things to be as recommended.I have also checked file and folder permissions, and owners as well, making sure that the .wav and .gau files have the same permissions as all the other files in these folders. OK here as well.I've installed into the VFR and IFR panels of the default C172 - horrible a/c!! - and done several ILS as well as non-ILS approaches but still no altitude callouts.Does anyone know of any other callout gauges I could d/l and try? Doesn't matter if not as I only fly the Carenado Mooney and I doubt if one was every equipped with this facility!!Many thanks again.David
I use this one now and it works very well for me:http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=rcbgp-33.zip&CatID=root&Go=SearchYou will need to read the instructions very, very carefully!

Thank you , David, for pointing me to the GPWS but I think it is too complicated for what I need.However, I have moved forward one step - sort of. I have discovered that the FPDA callout gauge needs FSsound.dll in the Modules folder - and I don't have it in my folder. I searched my FS2002 and FS2004 installation CDs but no luck. Eventually I was able to d/l a copy from the web.This now gives rise to the old FSsound.dll error message on FS2004 start up so I've added the following to the fs9.cfg file:[OLDMODULES]FSSOUND.DLL=1However, the error message telling me that FSSound.dll will be disabled still appears on startup whether I set the value in OLDMODULES to 1 or 0.I'm on the point of throwing the towel in!!Sorry to be a nuisance but does anyone have any ideas on this problem now?Many thanks.David

Thank you , David, for pointing me to the GPWS but I think it is too complicated for what I need.However, I have moved forward one step - sort of. I have discovered that the FPDA callout gauge needs FSsound.dll in the Modules folder - and I don't have it in my folder. I searched my FS2002 and FS2004 installation CDs but no luck. Eventually I was able to d/l a copy from the web.This now gives rise to the old FSsound.dll error message on FS2004 start up so I've added the following to the fs9.cfg file:[OLDMODULES]FSSOUND.DLL=1However, the error message telling me that FSSound.dll will be disabled still appears on startup whether I set the value in OLDMODULES to 1 or 0.I'm on the point of throwing the towel in!!Sorry to be a nuisance but does anyone have any ideas on this problem now?Many thanks.David

Thank you , David, for pointing me to the GPWS but I think it is too complicated for what I need.David
You are wrong David. You are wasting your time using any other callout gauge other than the one "Opa" recommended.A callout gauge must be customisable for each aircraft as each aircraft has a different height off the ground.Radalt callouts aid smooth landings immeasurably..... but only if they are accurate.

Hi EdOK, makes sense. I follow what you say.Perhaps the Mark 1 Eyeball is the best gauge after all !!David

Guest belga1

Hello,

However, the error message telling me that FSSound.dll will be disabled still appears on startup whether I set the value in OLDMODULES to 1 or 0.
You have a faulty syntax !!You must have this exact:[OldModules]FSSound.dll=1Regards.bye.gifGus.