Sign in to follow this  
Ericd

question about framerates

Hello,My average framerate using the MD11 or J41 is 15f/ps on the ground and 25 high up in the air.(Use REX and airport addons)I have a Intel Quadcore 2.6 Ghz Q8400 CPU, use 8Gb DDR2 and have a Nvidia GTX 285.FSX is on a dedicated drive (2Tb), setting all medium.I was wondering if someone with a "similar" system get the same average framerates or do I have to tweak and is much more possible?(in the mean time saving for a new Sandybridge and DDR3 Nail%20Biting.gif )Looking forward to some experiencesRegards,Eric

Hoi Eric,You should be able to get some more out of it if you are willing to overclock you system. The most important thing is CPU speed. I have Q9450, I think the only difference to your CPU is the cache memory on mine is a bit bigger. I have mine overclocked to 3.4GHz. Mind you, you would have to invest in an aftermarket CPU cooler to ensure you don't overheat the CPU. They can be found quite cheaply. As you are in Holland, you can check alternate.nl, they sell everything you might want. There are lot's of websites where you can read about how to overclock your system. I did my first overclock just a few months ago.. At first it seemed pretty scary as I didn't know what I was doing, but the more I read about it the more comfortable I felt about it. Just be sure to monitor those temperatures and don't exceed maximum voltages for the separate components. It took me quite a while to get a stable working system but now that it is there I am very pleased with the results. On stock airports I am getting mid 20's frame rates (before around 10) and up to 60 in the air (before around 22-25) (although I currently have it locked at 27 where it stays pretty much constantly and which in my opinion is plenty). Furhter more, there are some tweaking guides available, search ******* (bojote) and NickN and you will find step by step guides to improve your results. I did that before the overclocking and I have to say there were massive improvements (up to 35%).So, good luck.. let us know what happens.

Also water textures eat frames like cookies.Reduce water textures settings to high 1x.

This may sound strange, but it worked on my system:- Try putting all your sliders to the right (yes, I said right) apart from water (1x High), Autogen (dense) and special effects (medium).- Set your frame rates to Unlimited- Set cloud coverage to High and range to 60 or 70.Hope that helps.Kasper Petersen

This may sound strange, but it worked on my system:- Try putting all your sliders to the right (yes, I said right) apart from water (1x High), Autogen (dense) and special effects (medium).- Set your frame rates to Unlimited- Set cloud coverage to High and range to 60 or 70.Hope that helps.Kasper Petersen
Well, you're right.All the scenery looks better (higher sliders). But the framerates keeps the same or a little bit better. So, that's an improvement!Thanks.Eric
You'll get double or more the FPS with an OCed 2500K/2600K. I'd just keep saving for that.
+1 for me. I was glad to see they didn't raise the prices to much.(in the netherlands)Eric

I was looking at the benchmark of the 2600K. It seemed that the i7 980 had better performance. But the 2600K was much less expensive. Is that correct?

Paul Gugliotta

I was looking at the benchmark of the 2600K. It seemed that the i7 980 had better performance. But the 2600K was much less expensive. Is that correct?
They're extremely close - the 2600K wins in certain things and the 980X in others. The 2600K has been on sale at under $300 and the 980X is over $1000. Makes absolutely no sense to get the 980X.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com