Sign in to follow this  
toriu

Water Question

Adjusting the water effects slider from Max 2x to Low 2x in FSX seems to have improved my FPS in all areas, including areas not near to water. I assumed that it would only load the water effects when over or near to water. Could somebody please explain?

fdc_pfe_supporter.jpg

Adjusting the water effects slider from Max 2x to Low 2x in FSX seems to have improved my FPS in all areas, including areas not near to water. I assumed that it would only load the water effects when over or near to water. Could somebody please explain?
Yep, by doing that you have removed 1 or 2 extra shader passes on your VC. Jim

Jim Wenham

Yep, by doing that you have removed 1 or 2 extra shader passes on your VC. Jim
That's now what he asked. He asked why the fps improves also when there is no water near... A gain in fps is logical when flying near water and using Low instead of High. But why is fps also higher when there is no water in sight...?I don't know the answer btw. I guess FSX reserves some memory or resources or whatever just in case you may come near to water...? Another thing may be that even though the water isn't near, it may be in the lasrger radius: you won't see it, but FSX has to do some work on it nonetheless. But that would mean FSX is programmed a bit crappy... ;)

It Might have been faster for you to just ask Google the first reply for "fps cost of fsx water slider" should give you all the info you needhttp://blogs.msdn.com/b/ptaylor/archive/2007/06/08/fsx-tip-of-the-week-water-slider-and-fps-costs.aspx

It Might have been faster for you to just ask Google the first reply for "fps cost of fsx water slider" should give you all the info you needhttp://blogs.msdn.com/b/ptaylor/archive/2007/06/08/fsx-tip-of-the-week-water-slider-and-fps-costs.aspx
Thank's guy's, I always forget the awesome power of Google. :(

fdc_pfe_supporter.jpg