Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mikkel

Wind Data Uplink

In the following document there is a mention of Wind Data Uplink, it seems - in the real world aircraft wind data is updated automatically. Any chance to add such a function to the PMDG MD-11, or is it already there?http://md-11.org/FMS%20Init%20pdf.htmBTW: MD-11.org is a great site for MD-11 enthusiasts...

In the following document there is a mention of Wind Data Uplink, it seems - in the real world aircraft wind data is updated automatically. Any chance to add such a function to the PMDG MD-11, or is it already there?http://md-11.org/FMS%20Init%20pdf.htmBTW: MD-11.org is a great site for MD-11 enthusiasts...
A lot of companys uplink winds, flightplan & T/O,landing data via ACARS. We dont have that luxury right now, but on the flip side real world crew don't have the luxury of spending as long as they want performing a preflight while wearing pajamas and drinking a vodka and coke :)

True, true... but it would make it a lot more comfortable to drink vodka if did not have to enter the wind data by hand.

True, true... but it would make it a lot more comfortable to drink vodka if did not have to enter the wind data by hand.
You can use a "simple" method...using Active Sky you take the general figure for total flight wind average, and then set it into the INIT page on 6L LSK...not precise like the one by one entry on LEGS page, but it's still good...Cheers,

It would be nice to have a wind data uplink. For the first nine months I used the average wind diection and speed to determine HDW or TLW and entered on the INIT page; however, ASX only provides that for a specific altitude. Most of the flights I have in the MD11 are from Frankfurt or Amtersdam to KLAX or the reverse direction. These usually have three or four step climbs in the flight. I could run ASX for each altitude and figure out some way to get the averages by altitude into the FMC.I finally decided to enter the wind data for each waypoint as provided by ASX (35 to 45 wayoints). What a mistake! I am mad before I even start. I know its going to be an hour filled with corrections, frustration and cusssing because of keypunch errors or selecting the wrong line with the mouse. And it is no more accurate than using the average on the INIT page. I just finished a EDDF-KLAX flight that I doubled and tripled check the wind data for each waypoint, made sure the climb and descent forecasts were okay. The ETA changed by 28 minutes. I could get the same accuracy using the average direction and speed with a lot less aggravation.Michael Cubine

Remember, you need to click the "Refresh" button on the Briefing page frequently to get accurate wind predictions as the flight progresses. The average wind component and waypoint winds aloft tables are not updated to the current METAR automatically. I find that entering wind data for each waypoint individually increases accuracy very much.

A lot of companys uplink winds, flightplan & T/O,landing data via ACARS. We dont have that luxury right now, but on the flip side real world crew don't have the luxury of spending as long as they want performing a preflight while wearing pajamas and drinking a vodka and coke :)
HEY What do you call that RUSSIA LIBRE???
You can use a "simple" method...using Active Sky you take the general figure for total flight wind average, and then set it into the INIT page on 6L LSK...not precise like the one by one entry on LEGS page, but it's still good...Cheers,
Now this man deserves a RUSSIA LIBRE!!!Cheers to all.