Sign in to follow this  
Hoang

Las Vegas KLAS Airport terrain

This is..not what I had in mind....fsscr001z.jpgfsscr003g.jpgfsscr004x.jpgMy Fs2004 currently have FSGlobal 2010+BlueSky's Las Vegas terrain texture+JTACOF package final for KLAS airport.From scenery library,JTACOF KLAS is on top,then Bluesky,and finally FSGlobal all the way to the bottom.These are what I have done so far and still no luck at all!-Disable bluesky texture in the scenery library -->didn't work-Enable Bluesky and disable JTACOF KLAS --> didn't work-Disable both bluesky+JTACOF KLAS -->didn't work,infact it stayed the same as it was, the JTACOF airport was still there!!!I've spent all evening+night and definately give up for nowStraight%20Face.gif Just found out it also happens to others airports,at least for now I've found Indianapolis KIND.

Hoang Le

i5 13500 - eVGA RTX 3070 Ti - 32GB RAM

P3D v5

Either in your FS Global 2010 package or as a download from their site as I recall they offer a smoothing tool or airport elevation change tool for the scenery. Check the FSG documentation tool.From their description page:#Airport-Patches for prominent problem areas#a tool for the user to correct wrong airport elevations---------------Also they refer to a service pack 1http://www.fsglobal2010.com/indexA.htm

Thanks for reminding me about that tool ,I will try right now :D

Hoang Le

P3D v5

Well using AFX does help the airport problem,but not the city. I still can't find out what the problem isklas1.jpgklas2o.jpg

Hoang Le

P3D v5

Ok,after a day trying every possible cause, I got the Las Vegas terrain to go right. The only problem now is the airport. Las Vegas KLAS and Indianapolis KIND is somehow higher than the ground. Tried to use AFX and AFCAD221 to change the elevation but still no luck. or am I doing something not right :(

Hoang Le

P3D v5

What tool did FSG supply to adjust airport elevation? First make sure you don't have competing AFCADs so let us say one installed by a traffic program is getting a higher priority than the one you modified. Are these add-on airports? Those should be the ones adjusted.FSG could have a finer elevation granularity than the airport elevation supplies. The other problem is that FS does not really allow sloping airports so if the terrain is sloping but the airport renders as flat you'll get these problems. In addition some airport sceneries including surrounding scenery so these elevation discrepancies might occur beyond the airport proper.Some add-on airports do use some tricks to get sloping runways, though.Some add-on airports including freeware are designed for installed mesh similar to FSG and those should work better.

What tool did FSG supply to adjust airport elevation? First make sure you don't have competing AFCADs so let us say one installed by a traffic program is getting a higher priority than the one you modified. Are these add-on airports? Those should be the ones adjusted.FSG could have a finer elevation granularity than the airport elevation supplies. The other problem is that FS does not really allow sloping airports so if the terrain is sloping but the airport renders as flat you'll get these problems. In addition some airport sceneries including surrounding scenery so these elevation discrepancies might occur beyond the airport proper.Some add-on airports do use some tricks to get sloping runways, though.Some add-on airports including freeware are designed for installed mesh similar to FSG and those should work better.
It is Airport Facilitator X demo.Yes,these are add-on airports not the default ones. Ok here is how it shows up when I search Indianapolis KINDThe first line is the taxiway.bglThe second is the AF2The third line according to AFX is the stock .bgl,should I remove this?kindq.jpg--------------------------------With my KLAS Las Vegas,I tried to remove the stock .bgl from scenery/namw/scenery and this is what I gotklas.jpg

Hoang Le

P3D v5

If you know SBuilder, you can probably create some sloping polygons. Starting from the edge of the "cliff" you could stretch it out for a mile or so down to meet the ground and thus would probably not even notice the gradual sloping of the scenery.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

NEVER remove or edit the stock layer. It is buried in APxxxx.bgl default files which contain multiple airports by sector. A corruption could lose you or good number of airports or an error could cause an undesired effect anywhere in the FS world remote from the airport you worked on.The fact that it is grayed out means that the file is locked. Any modifications to a stock layer are made by creating a copy of the stock usually, applying changes, and saving the modified copy or new creation as a new .bgl to run at higher priority.You also state that it is a demo version. Does the demo version allow you to save the changes?ADE9X is freeware that contains a tool to change the airport elevation. You open the AF2 file using the open.bgl.firect under file, select under Tools Change Airport Elevation and then save it in a folder as an ADE project file. You then compile the the .ade file to a .bgl and add it to your scenery library renaming the original.bgl so there is no conflict and you can recover the original.You can also create a new airport from stock. It just takes a little bit of learning for simple changes.The application, manuals, and tutorials are here:http://www.scruffyduck.org.uk/filemanager/navega.php?id=2&PHPSESSID=5afb8b2dc178c86c9e449bc69527303eThe description is here:http://www.airportdesigneditor.co.uk/Their support forum is on fsdeveloper.com - you'll have to do a free registraion. As always, search before asking a question.BTW, it also seems to work with files created by AFX which are used by some developers.What I need to investigate is how to modify a scenery containing separate multiple object files such as the KIND folder you have where buildings, taxisigns, plus the airplane path routes to insure the elevation is changes for all of them. I think from using an object placer application that the object is anchored to the airport elevation in the afd type file so that may not be necessary.Anyway see what happens with ADE9X and make a safe dulpicate copy of that add-on folder outside of FS somewhere as a backup. In case you need to restore it.

NEVER remove or edit the stock layer. It is buried in APxxxx.bgl default files which contain multiple airports by sector. A corruption could lose you or good number of airports or an error could cause an undesired effect anywhere in the FS world remote from the airport you worked on.The fact that it is grayed out means that the file is locked. Any modifications to a stock layer are made by creating a copy of the stock usually, applying changes, and saving the modified copy or new creation as a new .bgl to run at higher priority.You also state that it is a demo version. Does the demo version allow you to save the changes?ADE9X is freeware that contains a tool to change the airport elevation. You open the AF2 file using the open.bgl.firect under file, select under Tools Change Airport Elevation and then save it in a folder as an ADE project file. You then compile the the .ade file to a .bgl and add it to your scenery library renaming the original.bgl so there is no conflict and you can recover the original.You can also create a new airport from stock. It just takes a little bit of learning for simple changes.The application, manuals, and tutorials are here:http://www.scruffydu...e449bc69527303eThe description is here:http://www.airportdesigneditor.co.uk/Their support forum is on fsdeveloper.com - you'll have to do a free registraion. As always, search before asking a question.BTW, it also seems to work with files created by AFX which are used by some developers.What I need to investigate is how to modify a scenery containing separate multiple object files such as the KIND folder you have where buildings, taxisigns, plus the airplane path routes to insure the elevation is changes for all of them. I think from using an object placer application that the object is anchored to the airport elevation in the afd type file so that may not be necessary.Anyway see what happens with ADE9X and make a safe dulpicate copy of that add-on folder outside of FS somewhere as a backup. In case you need to restore it.
Thanks a lot but I followed your instructions and still didn't work.Actually,KLAS has one side (near the city) correctly merge with the ground,but other sides are higher,and from what I saw,the ground of city Las Vegas was going slightly downward,is this true to Las Vegas :(:Confused:For KIND I can't modify it,maybe have to live with it.

Hoang Le

P3D v5

You have the standard flat terrain airport model on a higher definition resolution mesh. The best you can do is change the elevation of the airport to something in the middle to average out the discrepancy on each side. Also, did you acquire the FSG 2010 service pack? It is mostly for Florida and is described in the November news description. Free.http://fsglobal2010.com/The general issue of flat airports on sloped mesh is described I think in the documentation.As for the city it looks like trenches and I don't have a clue where they are coming from. It looks like water level cut-outs I've seen in other scenery but in the city that does not make sense. You may need to put a flatten polygon in there for the city area. If the city is add-on scenery there should be a flatten in it. In FS for mesh, regardless of scenery layer priority, the higher resolution will take priority and scenery layer priority occurs only between like resolution mesh. I'd send a trouble ticket to FSG under the support heading. Tell them to reply via e-mail so you can attach those screen shots or just refer them to this topic link.Maybe you should post on the scenery design forum here as well.

Thanks a lot but I followed your instructions and still didn't work.Actually,KLAS has one side (near the city) correctly merge with the ground,but other sides are higher,and from what I saw,the ground of city Las Vegas was going slightly downward,is this true to Las Vegas :(:Confused:For KIND I can't modify it,maybe have to live with it.

You have the standard flat terrain airport model on a higher definition resolution mesh. The best you can do is change the elevation of the airport to something in the middle to average out the discrepancy on each side. Also, did you acquire the FSG 2010 service pack? It is mostly for Florida and is described in the November news description. Free.http://fsglobal2010.com/The general issue of flat airports on sloped mesh is described I think in the documentation.As for the city it looks like trenches and I don't have a clue where they are coming from. It looks like water level cut-outs I've seen in other scenery but in the city that does not make sense. You may need to put a flatten polygon in there for the city area. If the city is add-on scenery there should be a flatten in it. In FS for mesh, regardless of scenery layer priority, the higher resolution will take priority and scenery layer priority occurs only between like resolution mesh. I'd send a trouble ticket to FSG under the support heading. Tell them to reply via e-mail so you can attach those screen shots or just refer them to this topic link.Maybe you should post on the scenery design forum here as well.
Thanks a lot for your help,I'll try thatBig%20Grin.gif

Hoang Le

P3D v5

You have the standard flat terrain airport model on a higher definition resolution mesh. The best you can do is change the elevation of the airport to something in the middle to average out the discrepancy on each side
You're right,what I have just tried is to disable FSGLobal in my scenery library and hell yeah,the surrounding of the airports are now looking "quite" good (still mirror problems).But,those are the wrong elevation,right? As I have read before, the default Fs2004 mesh gives fault elevation and FSGlobal correct them to the right ones. So..how can I change the airport elevation to match with FSglobal mesh?

Hoang Le

P3D v5

You're right,what I have just tried is to disable FSGLobal in my scenery library and hell yeah,the surrounding of the airports are now looking "quite" good (still mirror problems).But,those are the wrong elevation,right? As I have read before, the default Fs2004 mesh gives fault elevation and FSGlobal correct them to the right ones. So..how can I change the airport elevation to match with FSglobal mesh?
Since you haven't posted a screen shot of the latest view you have, it's hard to know what the exact problem is at this point. I had a similar issue and used the file called Acropolis.zip and it fixed the KLAS elevation problems. Check the following post as this is where I received the help: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/319152-klas-las-vegas/page__p__1881400__hl__ilovetofly__fromsearch__1#entry1881400Jim D.

Since you haven't posted a screen shot of the latest view you have, it's hard to know what the exact problem is at this point. I had a similar issue and used the file called Acropolis.zip and it fixed the KLAS elevation problems. Check the following post as this is where I received the help: http://forum.avsim.n..._1#entry1881400Jim D.
Wow,thanks a lot, it really solves my problem. Although there still a littlbe bit but much much better than before. I'm using mach-1 scenery too.Thanks again for your help! So 1 down,more to go. My KIND and CYYZ also have this problem and this is how KIND looks like (same to CYYZ)kindg.jpgBlueprint KIND and Dennis Di Franco CYYZOh by the way do you still have the Seatle acropolis file? Or any other files?

Hoang Le

P3D v5