Sign in to follow this  
Airman5877

Changing the start position on Free Flights

As we are aware, when FSX is fired up and Free Flight selected, we usually start the flight lined up on the active runway and fly straight out. When I used FS9 I had AFCAD installed so I could make changes to a specific airfield so that I would start the flight at that airfield either at a dispersal point or at the beginning of a taxiway. As there is no AFCAD program for FSX is there a way of changing the start position?

As we are aware, when FSX is fired up and Free Flight selected, we usually start the flight lined up on the active runway and fly straight out. When I used FS9 I had AFCAD installed so I could make changes to a specific airfield so that I would start the flight at that airfield either at a dispersal point or at the beginning of a taxiway. As there is no AFCAD program for FSX is there a way of changing the start position?
You can use the free ADE9X program to edit the default airport (generically called an afcad but that is actually a misnomer) and set the start positions to your liking.

Actually there are actually 3 AFCAD type programs for FSX, 2 free, "FSX Planner:, and Airport Design Editor, and 1 payware Airport Facilitator X (AFX) by Flight1.You can get ADE herehttp://www.airportdesigneditor.co.uk/You can get FSX Planner herehttp://www.zbluesoftware.com/fsxplanner/index.cfm

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

you don't need that, just start on the runway, then go into slew mode then slew over to a gate, or wherever you want to be then save that out. viola!

Ciao!

Er... I always simply select a gate when I select an airport...? :( What's the problem here...? :( Why would you need other programs to get something so simple done...? I must be missing something here.EDITAh, this must be about smaller airports that have no gates or parking spaces 'out of the box' in FSX. Stupid me... :(

Just a reminder...The freeware design tools REQUIRE the use of tools installed with the SDK. If you do not have SDK you will have have to purchase the payware version. However - before these tools were available when FSX was new, I did use the AFCAD program for just such purposes on small airports. It will not allow all enhancements but can certainly handle a simple 'move a start location' type adjustment at a simple airport. Perhaps, instead, I was using the FS9-modified airports in FSX or re-modifying FS9 aprons/ruwaways to better align with FSX features - the memory is less than sharp but I remember using it in some fashion.Loyd

Er... I always simply select a gate when I select an airport...? :( What's the problem here...? :( Why would you need other programs to get something so simple done...? I must be missing something here.EDITAh, this must be about smaller airports that have no gates or parking spaces 'out of the box' in FSX. Stupid me... :(
What you are missing is that the OP wanted to have his aircraft placed at right angles (at the hold short point) instead of in line with the runway when he selects a runway as a starting position.Most default airports (large or small) have the runway start locations in direct line with the runway but several author's have started placing the runway starts at the hold short nodes - which I personally like much better.He was simply asking how the "afcads" could be modified to accomplish that.