Sign in to follow this  
Hirgab

Any way to increase AA without suffering from stutters when flying through clouds? (ATI)

I have done some tests and drew a correlation between flying through clouds with no AA, AA=2 and AA=8. Frames dramatically reduce when flying through clouds with AA enabled. Right now, I have AA set to 2, which is a nice balance (only loose a couple of frames when flying through clouds.) However, I can notice some jaggies and would love to increase AA to 8, but not until I can figure out why AA is killing my FPS when flying through clouds. I have a HD5970 ATI card, i5-750 OC'ed to 4ghz, and 8 gigs of ram, Win 7 64bit. I do not want to install Shader 3.0 as I lose water animation everytime I do it (and would like to keep using FSWaterConfigurator)

Hi,Check your AA-Mode in CCC and if it is at Super-Sample AA slide it down to Adaptive Multi-Sample and see what that does for you.

I do not want to install Shader 3.0 as I lose water animation everytime I do it (and would like to keep using FSWaterConfigurator)
You can partly install Shader 3.0. You can install all other elements except water-terrain shaders. Then you have the original water animations/reflections plus the ability to use FSWaterConfigurator, and also get the performance enhancement from the shaders 3.0 clouds.That is how I use Shaders 3.0 on my setup.

http://forum.avsim.n...13#entry1774713Basically, as explained by Bojote, you can copy all of the Shaders 3.0 folders into FSX except the "terrain" folder, which includes the water shaders.You also keep the original WaterConstants.xml file.Then you change the SHADER_CACHE_VERSION inside the FSX.CFG to recompile shaders the next time you start FSX and you are done.After that you will have the original Shader 2.0 water and Shader 3.0 clouds. You can also use FSWaterConfigurator to fully control your water reflections.

Guest PFL

Great, thanks, I'll try this, cause I don't really like the Shader 3.0 water...

Hey Nickaslan,Are you saying that if you create this modified "Shader 3 mod" that one with an AMD Radeon card can finally have both good FPS in clouds AND no jaggies? Got a 6970 sitting on the shelf that I am just iching to reinstall.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Guest jpinard

Does the shader deal apply to Nvidia cards as well?

I just downloaded the framerate friendly cloud textures (I use the DXT versions).An alternative solution is to increase your resolution(if you can) and then youwill need to use less AA.IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

Hi,I use 4X and then the bottom choice in the CCC drop down box. I believe that is the Edge choice.

Will this Shader 3.0 Mod work with REX clouds?I believe they are Shader 2.0, right?

Does the shader deal apply to Nvidia cards as well?
No. Only something for ATI card owners, I believe. :( Can anyone correct me on that?

Are you saying that if you create this modified "Shader 3 mod" that one with an AMD Radeon card can finally have both good FPS in clouds AND no jaggies?
I'm not saying that you'll have no jaggies :(. It depends on the AA level that your system can handle. My 5770 goes up to 2xAA (box-SS) and 16xAF @ 1920x1080, so I have some.But you get the FPS boost of shader 3.0 clouds plus the original FSWaterConfigurator-configurable water.
Will this Shader 3.0 Mod work with REX clouds?
Definitely. The REX clouds are just textures. They can be rendered both in v2.0 or v3.0 shaders.