Sign in to follow this  

Where were you on 9/11/02?

Just wanted to know were you all were and your first reaction to 9/11/02? This was the day that changed everything. The aviation world will never be the same. Even Microsoft Flight Simulator was affected on this day.Tough to think it has been a year already.

Guest United

"BREAKING NEWS" and the rest is sordid history. The most bizarre occurance soon after that was driving from Portland, OR down the I-5 corridor to Salem,OR and seeing no con-trails and no aircraft in the skys. Now THAT was errie!!

Guest RobK

I don't know where I was on 9/11/02. I will know Wednesday though. ;)Rob

Guest GOODY

Are you sure you mean the year 02?GoodyGoody@cableone.net

I was at work then and will be at work wednessday.In most of the world nothing changed at all. Even in the US little changed that wouldn't have changed anyway over a somewhat longer time.The economic effects are negligable, all that happened is that the downward slope became a bit steeper but it also is bottoming out sooner so the net effect there is not great either.Of course a lot of people died and the US got a nasty wakeup call concerning their vulnerability to international terrorism (in large part because of the openness of the society and the lack of security consciousness of security staff at airports) but globally the effects are small.Actually, the people most effected at large (except the families of the deceased) are those of Afghanistan who are now better off than they would have been without these attacks.

I'm happy none of these events has affected you, your family or your personal economy. I was a captain then, I am an FO now. I have a brother who was about to start a job as a flight instructor then, he is just a student now. I have many colleagues who worked all their lives to get where they were on the eleventh only to be collecting unemployment or bartending now. I have parents who could have been in that building that day but were luckily not. But overall, I guess I'm happy I still have a place on the seniority list, that it did not happen to my plane, nobody from my family was there and most of all, I don't have to worry about filling that dreadful looking application to American Airlines I got in the mail the week before the eleventh.

I was at my computer at work when I logged onto Avsim to see a post about a plane hitting the WTC, I immediately went to CNN, CNBC, ect.. but could not get access to the sites because of the amount of traffic. I tool the large TV out of the closet at work plugged turned it on in the large conference room to ABC just as I sat down the United 767 hit the second tower.I was in total shock, disbelief, it was a mind numbing experience. I sat and watched as the news played the crash over and over again for several minutes. Then they confirmed that it was a United plane I took off for my desk sending out emails to my friends and family who work for United to make sure those who are pilots and fa's were ok. I contacted my friend at the WHQ later in the afternoon to track down my friends who I was unable to locate. Later that evening my friend from the WHQ called me and let me know that all were ok. John

JetLine Systems Gravity GT2-Windows 10 Home Edition (64-Bit), NZXT H500 Mid-Tower, Black, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 PRO WIFI, LGA 1151, Intel 9th Gen Core i9 9900K (5.0GHz Turbo) 8 Core / 16 Thread, Corsair Hydro H60 120mm Liquid Cooling, 32GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM 3000MHz RGB, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, GDDR6, 750 Watt Corsair RM Series Power Supply, 5.1 Channel Realtek Integrated HD Audio, Primary SSD Drive:1TB Samsung 970 EVO, M.2 NVMe PCIe (SSD), Secondary SSD Drive:2TB Samsung 970 EVO, M.2 NVMe PCIe (SSD) 4TB WD Black 7200 RPM Mechanical , SimOn Solutions 737 Professional Compact Trainer (MIP, OH). CFY 737 Max Motorized TQ Gold V3, MSFS2020, ProSim 737. 45" Samsung 4K TV.

I was in front of the television watching it on the news when the 1st tower got hit...Then to my horror watched as the second aircraft slammed into the next one. No less than a year before that i lived in Jersey City, NJ a mere 1/2 hr from lower manhattan and the WTC.I use to work 5 or 6 blocks from the towers, and my favorite watering hole is 3 blocks up on Murray St.=Swiv=

I was with the mother of a kid who had committed suicide the evening before.

Guest united777

I was just getting home from a good day of school(the weather was really cruddy) and my neighbor who is Belgian ran out and said, turn on your tv!!! new york supposedly under attack!!! so I turned on CNN and just as the first plane hit the tower, I then saw both towers be hit and fall and same with the pentagon(as much as was shown) so an hour later I biked in the pouring rain to my school 3 blocks away to tell my sister durring her play practice, I then called katie- a great friend of mine who is FROM New york City! who just moved here 2 moths earlier(Prior to the attacks). .. school was canceled the next day and Belgian 'special forces' type gaurds with dogs were at our school for a month, due to threats we recieved from possible al qaeda or equivilent hooligans. I know on wednesday I am only wearing three colors.. RED WHITE AND BLUE...

Guest Edam

>I was at work then and will be at work wednessday. >In most of the world nothing changed at all. Even in the US >little changed that wouldn't have changed anyway over a >somewhat longer time.Before I respond to that, are you serious that nothing changed in the US, or the world?>The economic effects are negligable, all that happened is >that the downward slope became a bit steeper but it also is >bottoming out sooner so the net effect there is not great >either.So you think that the economic effects would have been nearly the same with, or without, the events of 9/11? The stock market here would have dipped, on it's first day back, more than 600 points even without that? >Of course a lot of people died and the US got a nasty wakeup >call concerning their vulnerability to international >terrorism (in large part because of the openness of the >society and the lack of security consciousness of security >staff at airports) but globally the effects are small. I agree with the first part of your statements, we certainly did get a "wakeup" call. Whether the effects, globally, are small is another question. There were a number of other nations that joined with us to avenge what was done to us, that felt sorrow for what was dealt to us.But I must say, unless you were here, unless you were close enough to experience the horror of that event, you really can't be a judge of what it was for us here. I live, and work, a few miles from NYC, when the events of 9/11 occurred, I was in work...a few of us left work when we heard what had happened and took a 15 minute drive to where we could see the NY skyline. Unless, and until, you can see something similar to that, when you can see two majestic buildings that you are used to seeing on your skyline for many years, fall to the ground in a cloud of smoke, knowing that many thousands of people are in them, and have died at the moment that you are watching it, then you really don't have much to say in my opinion. >Actually, the people most effected at large (except the >families of the deceased) are those of Afghanistan who are >now better off than they would have been without these >attacks.Yes, to an extent. There is still a lot of crap going on there... assassination attempts, recent car bombings...it's no rose garden over there, and may get worse. Like you have said, "except for the families of the deceased..."But think for a moment what some of them have had to go through...some of those people will have their loved ones never recovered. Think about what they have to consider, as far as why they won't be. How would YOU like to know that someone that you loved was torn to pieces in the collapse of a building, to never be found? Think about all of the time that they hoped that they WOULD be found. My heart goes out to the people that had to go through that...political issues be damned.

I was in second period--Geometry class when the principal came over the PA and said a plane had hit the world trade center, and that there was a gaping hole.

Guest Edam

>I was with the mother of a kid who had committed suicide the >evening before. As I have friends who have experienced the exact same thing, how was she holding up under the circumstances? It must have been a "double blow.""we go into the circle by night"