Sign in to follow this  
Swoop

Comments on the New File Library

Hat's off to Avsim for making a really excellent decision here. The old library is back, Avsim is working on the new one, and they've listened to the response of the members. I mean, how can you ask for more, especially from a site that is essentially free for most people. I think this is a truly commendable methodology and I thank Avsim for the opportunity to see them put their best foot forward on this.If they need beta testers I'd be more then willing to help as I believe that most of us will. Thanks Avsim for listening!Mark

Well done Avsim - thanks for listening :biggrin: . Like others I'm more than happy to help in testing the new format when the time comes. Here's hoping it doesn't resemble the previous attempt.

Hat's off to Avsim for making a really excellent decision here. The old library is back, Avsim is working on the new one, and they've listened to the response of the members. I mean, how can you ask for more, especially from a site that is essentially free for most people. I think this is a truly commendable methodology and I thank Avsim for the opportunity to see them put their best foot forward on this.If they need beta testers I'd be more then willing to help as I believe that most of us will. Thanks Avsim for listening!Mark
Amen to that, many thanks to Avsim for listening to our suggestions. I was extremely happy to see the old front page again, literally brought a smile to my face. :)

Let me tell you something. I have been away from the Flight sim websites for a few years because i was pretty happy simming with FS9 for the past 3-4 years and was happy with all my add-ons. I had bought FSX back when it came out but was never able to run it with my computer. I notice that SP1 and SP2 were out so I thought i'd give it another try. Well surprisingly with the SPs it ran halfway decent. So back to the Sim websites I go to learn more and find utilities. I was surprised that the Avsim homepage was STILL the same after all these years. And the library system too. Arghh. All i wanted to do was browse for some utilities and find some info about the Service packs etc. Do you know how hard that was on Avsim? What an effort. I found it easier to just do some google searches than try to find info at Avsim. The library system is a cluttered mess. It's not user friendly and not friendly for the eyes at all. You need to have files set up in a tree structure like other sites (Software download sites) and let us browse utilities and categories etc and make it easy on the eyes. And let users review and rate files. Treat a file as a product, even though it is freeware. I would think you could have some type of algorithm for ads so that if someone is browsing for panels then you could have ads for payware panels. I just mean so much could be done for this site and make it more money in ad revenue than what is happening now. Think BIG.I have no idea why this is a "volunteer" effort. I mean it's a commercial for profit website, correct me if I'm wrong. I know this is a big rant, but i just want you to see things from the perspective of a user who has just come to this site for the first time. Your site is unfriendly.Thanks for listening and i wish you the best in your efforts.

Guest Kieran_Marshall

Unlike most people here (it seems), I loved the new system! After a few minutes, I struggled to remember what the old system looked like. I do use both AVSIM and FlightSim.com, and when the new system came on here, it gave me a better alternative to FS.comThe only point I'd make is this. Please can you bring back the 'New Files' listing on the front/main page. It gave me all the infomation I needed in a quick glance.I hope you take this infomation on-board and make the new system better than beforeThanks!Kieran