Sign in to follow this  
ToucHDowN

I5 2500K Vs. RAM frequency and latency

You can start a search here -----> http://www.simforums...topic38883.html then work your way back. :-) I'll try to find the thread later ....if you don't get there 1st.-Something tells me Nick might be a lil burned out.
What's your user name there please?

What's your user name there please?
Well. Just to throw a wrench into all of this, it may depend upon your particular setup. I have tried for over a year to get my i7-860 to run the F1 Mustang as smoothly as my q9650 ran it. The 860 was hands down faster, but the q9650 was smoother. I tried 2X2GB HyperX cas 8 1600, then 4X2GB HyperX then 2X2GB Patriot cas 9 2000, (Prime95 unstable), then 2X2GB Mushkin Red cas 6 1600, then 4X2GB Mushkin cas 6 1600. Every so often I would get a flight that SEEMED smooth for a while, but then the dreaded turn full of chop would appear on flying the approach and I couldn't believe how much trouble I had with that plane. Every other plane flew so smoothly and I was so disappointed. I then tried 2X4GB Corsair cas 9 2000 but again there was no stability in Prime95 so that was returned also. The Mushkin is great memory and the benches show it and the Mustang is such a resource hog, but on a whim I stopped into the one of two indie PC shops around here and even though they had no mention of it on their web page I found a Mushkin Black cas 9 2000 2X4GB kit and got it and VOILA! I assembled my i7 in January of 2010 and today I finally have reached my goal! So smooth on the F1 and it has fluidity, too. And the scenery is so sharp and no blurries! I cannot explain this, but the difference is not placebo, I assure you. When I roll the yoke to the right the Mustang rolls to the right with fluidity. The sense of flight has returned on my favorite bird! Now what to do with two sets of Mushkin 2X2 1600 (6-8-6-24) Redline Frostbytes? Kdub

Well. Just to throw a wrench into all of this, it may depend upon your particular setup. I have tried for over a year to get my i7-860 to run the F1 Mustang as smoothly as my q9650 ran it. The 860 was hands down faster, but the q9650 was smoother. I tried 2X2GB HyperX cas 8 1600, then 4X2GB HyperX then 2X2GB Patriot cas 9 2000, (Prime95 unstable), then 2X2GB Mushkin Red cas 6 1600, then 4X2GB Mushkin cas 6 1600. Every so often I would get a flight that SEEMED smooth for a while, but then the dreaded turn full of chop would appear on flying the approach and I couldn't believe how much trouble I had with that plane. Every other plane flew so smoothly and I was so disappointed. I then tried 2X4GB Corsair cas 9 2000 but again there was no stability in Prime95 so that was returned also. The Mushkin is great memory and the benches show it and the Mustang is such a resource hog, but on a whim I stopped into the one of two indie PC shops around here and even though they had no mention of it on their web page I found a Mushkin Black cas 9 2000 2X4GB kit and got it and VOILA! I assembled my i7 in January of 2010 and today I finally have reached my goal! So smooth on the F1 and it has fluidity, too. And the scenery is so sharp and no blurries! I cannot explain this, but the difference is not placebo, I assure you. When I roll the yoke to the right the Mustang rolls to the right with fluidity. The sense of flight has returned on my favorite bird! Now what to do with two sets of Mushkin 2X2 1600 (6-8-6-24) Redline Frostbytes? Kdub
have you tried 4x2GB? those two 1600 (6-8-6-24) Redline Frostbytes maybe? just curious about amount of RAM vs speedThat's something that's got me thinking, I'm trying to figure out how much of a roll do all the factors play. Getting 8GB of low CAS RAM is not easy unless it's 4x2GB. Is it ok then sacrificing CL6 to go CL8 or CL9 for the extra 4GB? Same goes for MHz.I just don't get it

Guest jahman
You can start a search here -----> http://www.simforums.com/Forums/complete-new-build_topic38883.html then work your way back. :-) I'll try to find the thread later ....if you don't get there 1st.-Something tells me Nick might be a lil burned out.
I did. You mean the bit where NickN says (Posted: April-25-2011 at 12:39pm):"I have not built any systems lately and do not have any basis in real worl testing to suggest newer hardware"? ;-)Cheers,- jahman.

Huh? I've never registered there.
Ok, I thought you meant he recommended you not to get SB. I'm not sure he ever said that, just that the extra 2MB of L3 cache of the 2600K would be beneficial for FSX. Been searching and can't find anything that suggests that he was against the SB upgrade

Ok, I thought you meant he recommended you not to get SB. I'm not sure he ever said that, just that the extra 2MB of L3 cache of the 2600K would be beneficial for FSX. Been searching and can't find anything that suggests that he was against the SB upgrade
Since Nick is not here to defend himself, I'll just leave it at this:http://www.simforums.com/Forums/complete-new-build_topic38883.html

have you tried 4x2GB? those two 1600 (6-8-6-24) Redline Frostbytes maybe? just curious about amount of RAM vs speedThat's something that's got me thinking, I'm trying to figure out how much of a roll do all the factors play. Getting 8GB of low CAS RAM is not easy unless it's 4x2GB. Is it ok then sacrificing CL6 to go CL8 or CL9 for the extra 4GB? Same goes for MHz.I just don't get it
I don't get it either. Yes, I tried 4X2GB with the Redline 1600 CAS 6. I saw no difference with the Mustang, but every other airplane in the sim flew great, (the same), with either 2X2GB or 4X2GB. And P95 and even OCCT was not affected by whether I ran 4 or 8 GB. So I would say if you are using 1600, get the CAS 6 and go 4X2GB. I know where you can get 4 sticks of Mushkin Redline 2GB, (6-8-6-24) 1.65v used for cheap! :smile:
I don't get it either. Yes, I tried 4X2GB with the Redline 1600 CAS 6. I saw no difference with the Mustang, but every other airplane in the sim flew great, (the same), with either 2X2GB or 4X2GB. And P95 and even OCCT was not affected by whether I ran 4 or 8 GB. So I would say if you are using 1600, get the CAS 6 and go 4X2GB. I know where you can get 4 sticks of Mushkin Redline 2GB, (6-8-6-24) 1.65v used for cheap! :smile:

I don't get it either. Yes, I tried 4X2GB with the Redline 1600 CAS 6. I saw no difference with the Mustang, but every other airplane in the sim flew great, (the same), with either 2X2GB or 4X2GB. And P95 and even OCCT was not affected by whether I ran 4 or 8 GB. So I would say if you are using 1600, get the CAS 6 and go 4X2GB. I know where you can get 4 sticks of Mushkin Redline 2GB, (6-8-6-24) 1.65v used for cheap! :smile:I don't get it either. Yes, I tried 4X2GB with the Redline 1600 CAS 6. I saw no difference with the Mustang, but every other airplane in the sim flew great, (the same), with either 2X2GB or 4X2GB. And P95 and even OCCT was not affected by whether I ran 4 or 8 GB. So I would say if you are using 1600, get the CAS 6 and go 4X2GB. I know where you can get 4 sticks of Mushkin Redline 2GB, (6-8-6-24) 1.65v used for cheap! :smile:
That may have fixed your problem but now you'r the one stuttering....... :Big Grin:

That may have fixed your problem but now you'r the one stuttering....... :Big Grin:
It's the dual channel :biggrin:@kaydub, thanks for the info. Unfortunately I don't own the F1 Mustang to test it, but if it's good I might get it if it's for a good cause hehe

Now I'm REALLY SCARED... :Shocked:

I've been doing some more tests comparing 2133 CL8 against 1600 CL9, but this time using FSMark07 and focusing on texture and autogen loading instead of frame rates or stutters, to see if I could notice a slow down in texture or AG loadind because of the priority system. Took a vid of each config with Fraps, and some screenshots with fraps switched off, not even running in the background. Honestly, texture and AG loads at the same exact speed. I really don't know if I'm doing something wrong, but nothing I test shows an impact in FSX with slower RAM, except for the slight FPS drop1600 CL91600cl9.png2133 CL82133CL8.png

Thanks Dario. I've been following this thread and thought already I made a huge mistake by sending the 2133 RAM back. Now I'm calmed. 50€ more wouldn't have paid off.