Sign in to follow this  
JoTayhen

Synchronizing Multi Monitors & TrackIR

Hi Folks,I have "cobbled" a system together to run FSX and I am at the point of wanting to try to synchronize 3 Acer widescreen monitors and possibly add something like TrackIR to the mix. I presently use the 3 monitors to display 3 separate VC views (undocked windows), each oriented differently to display a wide view. I'm sure there is a better way to do this - maybe with TripleHead2go. I am also wondering if TrackIR can be configured to adjust the views in all three monitors simultaneously or if TripleHead2go would take care of that task. I know that my decision to display 3 VC views as undocked windows takes quite a toll on FPS and so I am really very interested in your opinions about whether or not TripleHead2go would be the better route for me.I believe the present view here is that multiple graphics cards linked via either crossfire or SLI really does not significantly affect FPS in FSX. If others are of a different opinion, I would love to hear of your experience.Finally, does anyone know if it is better to power mulitple monitors with something like TripleHead2go rather than powering those same monitors via direct plug-in to multiple graphics cards? For instance, in my case, I am running 2 monitors directly from one Nividia GTX 580 and a third from a GTX 240. Would I acheive a better FPS in FSX by installing TripleHead2go and running everything from the GTX 580 or would it be better to purchase a second GTX 580 and drive all three monitors directly from the cards?I apologize for the length of the post. I really do appreciate all of the great work posted here for the benefit of all. Thanks for helping guy like me!John

Hi Folks,Finally, does anyone know if it is better to power mulitple monitors with something like TripleHead2go rather than powering those same monitors via direct plug-in to multiple graphics cards? Would I acheive a better FPS in FSX by installing TripleHead2go and running everything from the GTX 580 or would it be better to purchase a second GTX 580 and drive all three monitors directly from the cards?John
Well, John - I have no experience with two cards/three monitors, but I've had the TH2G Digital since it's been out. Around the PNW unlimited with most of *******'s mods and the Inspector mods, the frames run anywhere between 30 and 70/80 - 20 over SEA. The issue I have is that it introduces small hesitations here and there. I can fix that easily with the FPSLimiter_02 - but it doesn't always work (and I have no idea why, *#@!), so I fix that by locking at 30. This fixes everything. Smooth. Matrox GXM gets rid of the monitor pillars just fine.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

John, I have a similar setup as you. I have a GTX 480 and a 260 installed running 6 screens. In thebuilding process, I tested 2 screens on the 480 and one on the 260, but I didn't use undocked Windows.I stretched the video across all three monitors. The FPS hit was too severe so I canx that idea. Nvidia has its Nvidiasurround that will allow you to play at high wrap around resolutions, but you have to be running two cards in SLi. I needed 6 screens so I picked up a TH2Go DE and right now I'm running 5040x1050 using three acer monitors and trackir. It works great for me and no noticeable FPS. GTX 480 port1=TH2GoDE<3 24in acer monitors port 2=10in touch 260port1=10in touch port2=Vri CDU2

It works great for me and no noticeable FPS.
...which reminded me.. If I go back to a single 1280 x 1024 monitor my frames and smoothness go way, way up.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

I meant to say no noticeable fps hit. I run at 5040x1050, but if i did a single monitor @1280 think my fps would be super high also.

PJ & VincentThanks for the input. I am thinking the best way to go is to link the GTX 580's together and install Surround. I appreciate your sharing your experiences. My system seems robust enough to allow me to run 3 undocked windows (VC views) and to link those views using the "views - link all" toggle located in the buttons/keys tab in Settings however I keep thinking there is a better way to do this. Vincent, I thank you for letting me know that TrackIR works with Th2Go DE. I'm going to continue to "muddle around" trying different things until I can afford the second GTX 580 and then we will see.Thanks again both of you!John

PJ & VincentThanks for the input. I am thinking the best way to go is to link the GTX 580's together and install Surround. I appreciate your sharing your experiences. My system seems robust enough to allow me to run 3 undocked windows (VC views) and to link those views using the "views - link all" toggle located in the buttons/keys tab in Settings however I keep thinking there is a better way to do this. Vincent, I thank you for letting me know that TrackIR works with Th2Go DE. I'm going to continue to "muddle around" trying different things until I can afford the second GTX 580 and then we will see.Thanks again both of you!John
John- For many years I have enjoyed running triple FS9 views (LFwd,Fwd,RFwd)on my ancient AMD 1.8 system. (see pic)The secret for smooth performance is to precisely adjust the displayed angle of the outer views to take into account the exact width of the bezels which separate the views. This integrates the three views in the same way that views in your car are seen as one- ie driver side window, windshield, passenger side window= ONE WIDE VIEW.The view angle correction is done in FS9 Panel Config or in FSX in the Camera section. Check the appropriate SDK.(So called automatic bezel correction schemes cannot do the same job since they have no provision to input data about your specific monitors.) Also be sure to place monitors in an arc so that each is square to your line of vision. Otherwise you will get distortion in airplane roll mode.Only one of these views can be recomputed & updated at any moment- so 2/3 of the whole is ALWAYS perfectly stationary- perfection!! As long as FPS remains above 15 or so (persistency of vision) things will be smooth. BUT there WILL be less FPS wiggle room if you run into heavy duty scenery or weather.(Despite the potential of multi threading, I'm pretty sure that recomputing each total frame is still done sequentially in FSX.)The result of all this, is that computer horsepwer is not as big an issue as many believe. If you can get a consistent 30-50 FPS on a single mon, you should be able to run triple views quite smoothly.And having your own little IMAX is priceless!AR

If you add TH2G you'll be able to add a fourth monitor onto the 2nd outlet. I recommend an Acer T230 touch screen right next to you, you can undock instrument views like over head panel, radio stack etc. and push buttons and program FMC by hand.Bjorn

If you add TH2G you'll be able to add a fourth monitor onto the 2nd outlet. I recommend an Acer T230 touch screen right next to you, you can undock instrument views like over head panel, radio stack etc. and push buttons and program FMC by hand.Bjorn
But TH2Go displays only a single View Fwd, spread across 3 monitors. (single output from the GPU to TH)To get a wider Field of View than the 45º of View Fwd, you then need to zoom out substantially to widen the FOV.Zooming Out also increases the "apparent" distance to objects ahead such as a runway. But TIME is not altered, so a pilot can be surprised by the rapidity with which he arrives at the airport runway! (Try driving your car looking wrong way through binoculars! That is the equivalent of zooming out.)If much zoom out is applied, consider reducing the Simulator Rate to correspond with the apparent distance increase.AR

I don't folllow you on the TH2Go displaying only a single view FWD. I get a , what appears, to be a side view at about a 45 degree angle. The landscape on the sides views move at an agle when flying forward.

Simply use TIR, no need to look through reversed binoculars. I use a zoom factor about 1 to compromise between fow and the warp effect you get in the perifery. A slight warp effect is inevitable with wideview=true, but to me it's not noticeable since the center of the view is normal. B

I don't folllow you on the TH2Go displaying only a single view FWD. I get a , what appears, to be a side view at about a 45 degree angle. The landscape on the sides views move at an agle when flying forward.
Yes, you will see a different portion of view in each TH monitor but each is a 1/3 portion of the FS single View Forward if you are using 2D views. If the zoom is 1.0 you see a Flight Sim Field of View of 45º even tho' it is spread across multiple monitors. (45º being 1/8 of a full circle.)If you use Virtual mode then each monitor displays 1/3 of whatever level of zoomed view you have at that moment. The max FS Zoom is .33 so doing the math, the FoV can be increased from 45º to about 136º. With three monitors and three separate FS 2D views, the FoV is 135º+ bezel correction or about 145º- still at 1.0 zoom to avoid changing distance perception.So both methods can produce a wide FoV- one uses zoom, the other doesn't. (Hope I'm not confusing here- Field of View is a measure of the width/angle of the scenery being generated by FS.The angle your eyes see relative to your monitor(s)width is perspective.)Lest I seem critcal, TH2Go is the way to go for Virtual. Dual video cards work great for a wide 2D display and doesn't utilize panning nor zooming.AR

Whew! You guys sure know how to bring a lot of good information to the table! Being new to the hobby, my ears are still pretty wet and I am very much feeling my way around. I enjoy operating in a VC mode and I believe, at this moment anyway, that I want to optimize my system in that direction. I thank you all for your gracious input and suggestions which I will certainly take to heart. Bjorn, the thought of using a touchscreen monitor never entered my mind and is an outstanding suggestion! Are you saying that I can simply touch the various switches on the screen to activate them rather than use the mouse? If so, that would be wonderful.AR, I presently fly the Beech Duke B 60 turbo and the Marchetti SF 260, both in VC mode. Could I employ a combination of VC views and 2D views to accomplish your scenario and still maintain a VC cockpit environment?Finally, I really appreciate your going slowly with me, fellas. I am so new at this that many of the abbreviations are foreign to me. As I read and study these posts here, I am gaining both the knowledge to communicate with you all and a real appreciation for just how much experience you guys have!Thanks again!John

AR, I presently fly the Beech Duke B 60 turbo and the Marchetti SF 260, both in VC mode. Could I employ a combination of VC views and 2D views to accomplish your scenario and still maintain a VC cockpit environment?John
John- always fun to help a newcomer. No, no way that I know of to blend 2D and Virtual. Quite different approaches to the problem of limited space on a monitor. It's one or the other. Virtual came about a dozen or so years ago as a means of displaying a lot of scenery and a big instrument panel on a small computer monitor- in those days 14 or 15 inchers were typical. My first monitor was really the latest technology and was sold as a 17"- although it actually measured 16"! I was pretty impressed with it. By sliding both the view and panel around (panning) and with zooming in/out to read small instruments, Virtual brought a whole new dimension to simming using these small displays.But now with monitors and screens from 22" to 48" or more and an ability to achieve very wide displays via synched multiple monitors, a real potential exists for the designers to rethink how they display Flight Sim scenery and panels, to better replicate the real world as seen in the cockpit. (For both Instruments AND the View of the world!)It is my understanding that the FAA will NOT approve a Flight Training Device (FTD) unless all gauges, instruments & switches remain in a fixed usable location. That would appear to rule out Virtual. Will Flight(Sim) follow?AR

I use a mix of 2d and VC screens. My smaller 10.1 in screens are all touch and I sometimes use panels that are click sensitive, like my 747 EICAS. I have used GPS (RealityXP works best) for them also. Also it made a wonderful FMC for any plane. I bought the VRI CDU2, but honestly my touchscreen was a better setup I might revisit. DSC01287.jpgDSC01039.jpg