Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest stranex

UK mesh / scenery

Guest stranex

Hi all,Can anybody give me their opinions on the best mesh for the UK? FSGenesis doesn't seem to improve on the default 76m?I hope to purchase both UTX and GEX Europe so presume that in combination with some better mesh that should provide me a much more realistic experience?I also understand there are some combined mesh and photoreal sceneries out there but personally I don't like using photoreal so would rather purchase mesh and scenery separately.....any suggestions for UK (or Europe) scenery that is a marked improvement on GEX/UTX?CheersSteve

Hi stranexI use the 5m Terrain Mesh that comes with the Horizon VFR Generation X VFR scenery. I've tried the GEX/UTX scenery but IMO there's no comparison. I don't quite see the point in using a good quality mesh without photoscenery to match.My FPS with the photographic scenery is much better - over 100 fps on average. Despite the lack of autogen the 5m mesh really brings out the railways, roads, woods, rivers and hills around the UK. Great to look at from 1000-6000 ft.

Guest stranex

Thanks Traffic,Maybe I'll try out the Horizon stuff but the thought of no Autogen of any kind kind of puts me off (even if performance is increased!). I like to fly either very high level (Flight One Mustang or heavy metal) or be flying amongst the weeds in the VRS F18 or some of the lighter a/c. Therefore, flying in the altitude band you mention doesn't really appeal and the benefits of photoreal are kind of lost. I've just been looking at FSDreamscapes...they do a 5m mesh for the UK....anybody tried it? Also, is Traffic correct in his thinking that theres not much point in a better mesh without photoscenery to match? I just assumed (probably wrongly!) that a better mesh would result in more detailed landscapes, especially when flying down in the weeds or amongst the Welsh Mountains?

Stranex,You can get custom autogen trees for the Horizon VFR Generation X Version 2 photoscenery. It's called Treescapes UK, and the three volumes cover all of England and Wales. It's superb! Check it out at www.earthsimulations.com

Stranex,The FS Dreamscapes mesh has some distinct pluses and minuses.On the plus side the mountains do look better and the flat terrain suddenly develops some interesting hillocks.The down side is some horrendous plateaus and cliffs around airports, and the odd trench in the sea.You can reduce this effect my reducing the resolution to 19m..but do expect some oddities.Overall I would say you are better off investing in some decent landclass from Scenerytech, and replacing the ground textures with GEX.I don't use photoscenery because I like seasonal variations.TonyD