Sign in to follow this  
IMAGRANDPA2

Simply Unconscious

Hello gentsI have flown FSX for a long time but decided to try the original FSX 737 yesterday. Loaded a short IFR-VOR flight and tracked the flight path just fine. Then I thought I would try the GPS. Flipped the switch on the panel to GPS but I could not get the GPS to couple with the autopilot and we gradually drifted further and further off course. Apparently I am too old to sort out this problem! Can anyone help me out?Thanks,Grandpa

Just from memory, flipping that switch to GPS is the first step, the next one will be Nav on the AP if you just want to follow the GPS route.You've altered the mode of this Nav setting correctly to follow the GPS guidance then, ignoring the VORs. So your path was very right. :(

You have part of it right. Althought without an autopilot this won't work. First, the aircraft has to have a FD or Flight Director button activated. Second, it has to have the Nav/GPS Switch to the GPS selection. Third, you have to activate the NAV on the autopilot. On some aircraft you have to activate the VOR on the autopilot. This works for all filed flight plans, VFR or IFR. I use it all the time from the heavies to the light GA aircraft. Have fun...fisheye

To fly a GPS route with the FS GNS500 you DON'T need to "activate" a VOR, and you definitely don't need a flight director.Put your route into the GPS. Check for a GPS/NAV switch, be sure it is on GPS. Turn on the autopilot and push NAV to hold GPS course. Simple.Best of luck.