Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I've got an older 9850 GTX, and I am thinking about replacing it.....my budget is substantially LOWER then back then, so how do we feel about this new budget-entry card? Will it run better then my 9850 does?http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121435&cm_re=GTX_550_Ti-_-14-121-435-_-Productfor a link to the product.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Well, it might be that good as my GTX 260. Maybe a bit better but you shouldn´t ecxpect wonders. You better save your money and get EVGA GTX 560TI superclocked. It´s actually the best bang for the buck.

How about this GTX460 1GB for just 10$ more John?It's a bit noisy apparently, for 170$ you have an MSI also

the 560ti isnt that bad priced to me....would it be acceptable over my 9850? Would it be an improvement?

Well, it might be that good as my GTX 260. Maybe a bit better but you shouldn´t ecxpect wonders. You better save your money and get EVGA GTX 560TI superclocked. It´s actually the best bang for the buck.

Well whatever we all agree would be best for me. :) My rest of my specs are below too.

How about this GTX460 1GB for just 10$ more John?It's a bit noisy apparently, for 170$ you have an MSI also

Is it for FSX?The problem is that if it's for FSX, you're most likely CPU limited and it won't make a difference.

Yes, FSX.....so back to the old addage CPU vs GPU eh? LOL OK, BEST bang for the bucks then, GPU or CPU? My board will support a better CPU also.

Is it for FSX?The problem is that if it's for FSX, you're most likely CPU limited and it won't make a difference.

Yes, FSX.....so back to the old addage CPU vs GPU eh? LOL OK, BEST bang for the bucks then, GPU or CPU? My board will support a better CPU also.
Why don't you try a slight overclock of your GPU and see if it helps? that way you will know for sure if you are CPU limited or not.A better GPU will allow you to run higher levels of antialiasing in any case. My 460 handles 8xSQ quite wellAs for the CPU, a Phenom II x4 955 or 965BE should provide a nice performance boost. If you have a decent cooler and good ventilation you should hit some 3.8GHz. Then maybe a GPU upgrade would also pay off

Was looking at this:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103894&Tpk=phenom%20970I don't like to overclock and I have a FULL tower, so ventilation is fine.

Why don't you try a slight overclock of your GPU and see if it helps? that way you will know for sure if you are CPU limited or not.A better GPU will allow you to run higher levels of antialiasing in any case. My 460 handles 8xSQ quite wellAs for the CPU, a Phenom II x4 955 or 965BE should provide a nice performance boost. If you have a decent cooler and good ventilation you should hit some 3.8GHz. Then maybe a GPU upgrade would also pay off

Even if you don't like OCing, and it's a pitty you don't cause FSX loves it, you can save 30$ with the 955BE and give it a slight OC to 3.5GHz and you have a 970BE

Thinking for $360 I can do CPU AND GPU. :)

Even if you don't like OCing, and it's a pitty you don't cause FSX loves it, you can save 30$ with the 955BE and give it a slight OC to 3.5GHz and you have a 970BE

The GTX460 1GB goes for 160$ and the 955BE for 140$, so it's just 300$ reallyThe 955BE should do 3.6-3.7GHz without even tinkering with voltages

Why don't you try a mild overclock and then see if you need to throw money at the CPU upgrade? I mean you're wanting to upgrade the CPU anyway, so why not just give it a little boost and see if you notice an increase in performance.If you're willing to pull a PC apart and replace a CPU, I can't see not being willing to overclock just a tad. It sure could save you some money! Maybe. Hope I'm being too heavy on the "peer pressure". :Just Kidding:

Just a personal preference. :) I spend enough time tinkering to try to futz with overclocking stuff. lol

Why don't you try a mild overclock and then see if you need to throw money at the CPU upgrade? I mean you're wanting to upgrade the CPU anyway, so why not just give it a little boost and see if you notice an increase in performance.If you're willing to pull a PC apart and replace a CPU, I can't see not being willing to overclock just a tad. It sure could save you some money! Maybe. Hope I'm being too heavy on the "peer pressure". :Just Kidding:

thanks all, I decided to do both CPU and GPU right now. :) This is what I got:GPU:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121391CPU:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103894Now off to update the MB BIOS :P~~~~Thanks for the help! :)

thanks all, I decided to do both CPU and GPU right now. :) This is what I got:GPU:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121391CPU:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103894Now off to update the MB BIOS :P~~~~Thanks for the help! :)
That is the video card I've got installed - works like a charm and is very quiet.Good choice! Get the 266.XX driver from the nvidia site. The driver that comeswith the card has problems with FSX..

parts will be here today. :) I will let you know how it goes. :)Already did BIOS flash over weekend, so my MB is all set. :P~(for the CPU support)

hope everything works like a charm John LOL.gifKeep us posted

well, hardware and drivers re-install went smoothly.....but my computer now seems sluggish. :( I am wondering if I have now created a bottleneck between the MB and the new CPU? Windows Index went DOWN because of the CPU cycles?! I used to have a 6.9 rating, now it's a 3-something only because of the CPU. Anyone have some suggestions? Wondering if I should move this topic over to the hardware thread now?Don't get me wrong I have NOT thrown any FSX or other first-person-shooter games at it YET, but that is coming tonight.

hope everything works like a charm John LOL.gifKeep us posted

well, hardware and drivers re-install went smoothly.....but my computer now seems sluggish. :( I am wondering if I have now created a bottleneck between the MB and the new CPU? Windows Index went DOWN because of the CPU cycles?! I used to have a 6.9 rating, now it's a 3-something only because of the CPU. Anyone have some suggestions? Wondering if I should move this topic over to the hardware thread now?Don't get me wrong I have NOT thrown any FSX or other first-person-shooter games at it YET, but that is coming tonight.
Woah, thats strange, indeed. Such a drop in the rating. did you let the system recalculate the whole thing? Your rating should be higher as mine which is on 7.3 after the oc at 3 GHz and your new CPU as 500 MHz more than mine, so it should be obviously higher.

yeah, I left windows recalc it.I am tracking down some possible issues with the ASUS Bios, that is needing to turn-on cool and quiet to AUTO and letting windows run at power-setting performance in Windows 7. Again this is all perceived at this point, I am going to run some actual tests tonight to see what the speeds are. But something isn't right.As for HT's on the AMD pipeline......not a problem as both chips run at "4,000" and the board supports it. Memory also runs at 1066ganged, even with the new chip.Considering flushing the BIOS and going back to default settings...maybe I had something in there tweaked for the old 9850BE CPU.

Woah, thats strange, indeed. Such a drop in the rating. did you let the system recalculate the whole thing? Your rating should be higher as mine which is on 7.3 after the oc at 3 GHz and your new CPU as 500 MHz more than mine, so it should be obviously higher.

yeah, I left windows recalc it.I am tracking down some possible issues with the ASUS Bios, that is needing to turn-on cool and quiet to AUTO and letting windows run at power-setting performance in Windows 7. Again this is all perceived at this point, I am going to run some actual tests tonight to see what the speeds are. But something isn't right.As for HT's on the AMD pipeline......not a problem as both chips run at "4,000" and the board supports it. Memory also runs at 1066ganged, even with the new chip.Considering flushing the BIOS and going back to default settings...maybe I had something in there tweaked for the old 9850BE CPU.
what's exactly going wrong John? I would outright ignore what the windows experience rates your system at and run some CPU and memory benchmarks for a startUse CPU-Z to make sure your memory and CPU are working at the expected speeds.Yes, your board supports HT 3.0, so in CPU-Z the HT freq should be 2000MHz IIRC

I'll run CPU-Z and CINEBENCHR10 tonight and post results. CineBench was recommended also.Thanks all, hopefully it's just me being picky. :)

what's exactly going wrong John? I would outright ignore what the windows experience rates your system at and run some CPU and memory benchmarks for a startUse CPU-Z to make sure your memory and CPU are working at the expected speeds.Yes, your board supports HT 3.0, so in CPU-Z the HT freq should be 2000MHz IIRC

I'll run CPU-Z and CINEBENCHR10 tonight and post results. CineBench was recommended also.Thanks all, hopefully it's just me being picky. :)
Thanks for pointing me towards cinebench. I´ve just downloaded version 11,5 and ran it. Well, 3,84 points in rendering with all 4 cores isn´t that good. How good are yours?

Dunno yet, I will check as soon as I get home tonight and run it. :) Around 7-8pm Eastern Daylight Time (2300 - 0000 Zulu)

Thanks for pointing me towards cinebench. I´ve just downloaded version 11,5 and ran it. Well, 3,84 points in rendering with all 4 cores isn´t that good. How good are yours?