Sign in to follow this  
Richard Sennett

New computer help

Thank you so much really appreciate your time :)Regards, Rich

Rich Sennett

I can't believe you decided to go for the first gen I7.. with the second gen being cheaper and reportedly much easier to clock 4.5+...... Really I would have made a different choice. If you can still cancel the board, I would if I were you.

So return the board unopened if it is not what you want, no problem. I do suggest you slow down and think about what you really want before you commit to anything. You will be much happier with the results that way, otherwise no matter what you get, you will end up wishing you had bought something else instead. A 1366 board with a well tuned i7 will go like stink, espeacilly with that GX card you have. Games like Crysis2 and BF3 will look and play amazing, but if you are only interested in FSX, then it is not the cheapest way to get results. An 1155 board with an i5-2500k will give as good or better performance in FSX and at a lower cost, but will not perform as well with modern games that exploit multi threading. By doing some research your self, and asking experts like Dazz, you will be able to come up with the system that does what you want, for a price you are willing to pay.

All ready been sent, should be ok I think I will be happy with it I hope lol Regards, Rich

Rich Sennett

Thanks Paul:Great info, my gtx580 is incredible so glad I bought it, take care.Regards, Rich

Rich Sennett

Fellows,Anybody got an idea about Solid State Drives? I'm planning to place one in my new system, probably about 160 Gig.Is it wise to put the OS and FSX together on this drive? When only using one of the two on that SSD I could buy a smaller one (cheaper).Thanks in advance for your ideas!Ype Reitsma

I dont know anything about those drives sorry I can't help - but I think I'm understanding they are loading fsx on a different drive than the operating sytem, maybe someone could chime in on this.Regards, Rich

Rich Sennett

Is it wise to put the OS and FSX together on this drive? When only using one of the two on that SSD I could buy a smaller one (cheaper).
Yes, that's fine, just make sure FSX is in it's own folder in the root (ie C:\FSX) and not in Program Files (x86). There's no real reason FS needs to be on a separate drive than the OS, especially with an SSD where it's all fast random access flash memory.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Great advice, thanks! Think I'm going for the Intel X25-M 160 Gb, I read a positive review about that one.It ain't cheap, but with all the rest of "fast" components of my new system (Asus Sabertooth P67, I7-2600K, 2x4Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz CL8) I think it fits in fine (MD11 and NGX-proof), reckoning I'm ready for some years to come! Coming from a Dual Core 6400 2.13 GHz it should make a difference!Throttle On! (I'm not advertising :( )