Sign in to follow this  
Richard Sennett

New computer help

Hi Guys: Need a bit of help, I have a q9650 3 gig overclocked to 3.6 – 8 gig of ram – evga gtx580 on windows 7 x64 ultimate only fsx installed and pmdg 747 now one would think this would be enough to run her but I keep getting crashes like just changing the weather or time of day so if I get this setup would I be able to run pmdg 747 smooth no crashes or am I wasting more money lol I plan on building this but would need some helpl from the pros on the best [RAM CHOICE] for this board at least 8gig of ram here are the links to the motherboard and processor I have the rest all ready, any help would be appreciated, thank you. Before on asks I have no luck with ASUS Motherboards J Also is that chip optimum for this motherboard choice, Just want to run PMDG 747 with no problems. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115070&Tpk=2600k http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128423&cm_re=gigabyte_motherboard-_-13-128-423-_-Product

Rich Sennett

Hi there:First thing to say is I'm not sure this is the right forum to address this kind of help request.. Dont get upset if this thread gets moved somewhere else. Anyway, you dont give much information about the nature of the crash. First thing to try would be removing the overclocking. Try to reproduce the same failure with factory default settings. If that doesn't help then try to reproduce the problem with other software to see whether is FSX related or not. And by all means: gather as much information about the nature of the failure. BTW.. You have all FSX updates installed right?Not be mean but you forgot to sign with your full name as required by forum's FARs.Joss M Garcia

Hi:Thansk for the reply, what forum does it belong in ? sorry, all updates installed for fsx no accelleration, running UTX - REX - GEX - all the toys found if I remove the ovelclock its a noticable slow down, fresh install of windows 7 x64 ultimate with sp 1 with just fsx on the c: drive, running fsx booster, bought multicore but can't figure that out support is not there also bought fsps extreme fsx and that didn't work as well as fsx booster, been flight simming for about 10 years so not new to this just think the hardware is not quite there, just thought and i5 or i7 would push it over the edge to get the performance, I own everything from pmdg except md-11, but the 747 seems to be the big hit on my computer, Joss thanks for helping, appreciate it. In regards to crash if I star a flight from ksfo to klax if I try to change to a different texture or different time or weather sim stops working get a message fsx not responding then it restarts the sim again. (The main menu of fsx). I know it could be a lot of different things but I have eliminated most of the culprits such as fsx cfg tweaks, low res textures (UTX - REX) latest nvidia driver - Nicks and Ryans nvidia inspector settings also havea great cpu cooler so I'm at a loss hmm.Regards, RichSennett

Rich Sennett

well first of all is, that motherboard will not work with that CPU, the motherboard you only works for a LGA1366 CPU but the CPU you are buying is a LGA1155. I am not sure why you wont but I would definitely get a ASUS motherboard. My new computer (expecting the parts tomorrow) has the same CPU but my motherboard is the ASUS P67-M-Pro http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131707&cm_re=P67-_-13-131-707-_-Productmake sure you read the description of the product because you would have bought the wrong motherboard for that CPU Regarding FSX and crashes there is always something that happens with FSX , it is a neverending problem lol!!!Hope this helps a little

Thanks I figured that out after posting, which one would be faster they say the sandy is great but the bus speed on the original motherboard posted is faster so not sure whic way to go, as for asus I tried 3 different times all 3 were bad motherboards whan I switched to gigabyte never had a problem since any more thoughts would be great, now off to chack out your new motherboard. :)Regards, Rich

Rich Sennett

I would strongly recommend you solve one problem at a time or you will end up wasting money. Is FSX the only thing that crashes? Can you run stress tests like prime95 and so on? Your hardware would be a source of crashing if you have an unstable overclock or an unsteady PSU. When you are happy with your hardware, then you can look at other factors. A few people have reported simialr instability which was fixed when there patchs were correctly reinstalled. FSX is fussy about how the patches are done. You must install FSX, run it (to allow it to finish setting itself up), optionally reboot, install your patch, run it, and so on. If you are still getting problems after that, come back with more details about what exactly is happening.P.S. Both Asus and Gigabyte make excellent MBs. One is not 'better' then the other, it just comes down to preference, features, price and availability on the day.

Hi Paul: Great info on the service packs I usually just install both patchs before running, thats great info, thanks guys ok heres the deal sick of getting my arse kicked by fsx so heres the new rig Gigabyte Technology GA-X58A-UD7Intel Core i7-970 Gulftown 3.2GHz 6 x 256KB L2 Cache 12MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor Now if I could bother you guys on the best ram selection for this baby plan on 12 gig (2) gig a slot I am running windows 7 x64 ultimateThank you AllRegards, Rich

Rich Sennett

Is there a reason why you don't want to go with a sandy bridge system? It is the bee's knees right now. If you overclock a 2500k to say 4.4-4.8 GHz, it will outperform the 970 by far. It will also be much cheaper. You are paying for 6 cores with the 970, but fsx can't really utilize more than four, so it is kind of a waste there. I dont want to tell you what to do, but unless there is a reason that you want/need a 1366 system, the new 1155 will do wonders for FSX. I have one now, (2500k OCd 4.8, ASUS Sabertooth P67, GTX 560 Ti), and I get great performance with this system!Almost forgot,FSX is a 32 bit application, and therefore can't utilize more than 4GB of ram. So 12GB of ram is TOTAL overkill if you plan on using mostly FSX.

Just to round out what Ethan is saying, you should run a 64bit OS and have at least 6 or 8 gig installed. Even though FSX can only use 4 Gig, you don't want it to have to share that 4Gig with the OS, graphics card memory and so on.

Hi Ethan:Read this: Other Thoughts: A client purchased this CPU for a custom build. He plays FSX more than anything. Previously, I had configured an Intel Core i7 930 at 4.25GHz and his experience with FSX was mediocre with high settings in REX, and GEX. He had several third party aircraft from PMDG as well.His previous system achieved 18-25 FPS in VC view and 30-35 FPS in external view in major cities like Chicago's O'Hare airport.WOW! After installing the i7 970, and setting it to just 4GHz, the new system achieves 38 FPS in VC! There is no lag, whatsoever. I set the FPS to unlimited in the FSX settings. I can't believe the improvement! Typical FPS is about 60! If you are a FSX fan, believe me when I say that you will look no further. Just remember to set the display settings to "unlimited FPS." Don't set the FPS to a specific number like others do. Setting the FPS to a specific number works well with older CPU's. My temps at 4.5Ghz (1.42vc) are 70 degrees Celsius and at 4.0GHz (1.30vc) 52 degrees Celsius Do you think the i960 quad is enough hard to believe if you have the extra horsepower it wont be used in some way ?, thnaks for the help.Regards, Rich

Rich Sennett

Can you post a link to that Rich? Is that from the same store's product description/user feedback? Because the FPS increase came from unlimiting the frame rate, not from the 2 extra cores.You should be looking at I5 2500K

STOP SHOUTING!That quote doesn't say anything other then a 970 has more punch then a 930. No news there. I would also guess most of the performance gains came from setup and configuration of FSX rather then differences between the two chips. Add in that the 970 is 5 times the price of the i5-2500k but still can not outperform it in most FSX relevant tests (remember that FSX doesn't use multithreading and can really only use three and a bit cores) and it really becomes quite a simple decision.

Hi Paul:Hi Paul:That was a review at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=19-115-066&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=5I have all ready ordered the board so you think I just go with this RAM and overclock CPU a bithttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115224&cm_re=i7_960-_-19-115-224-_-Productappreciate your help - so if you were to put 12 gig of ram in it what would you choose ? 6 slots - 2 gig eachRegards, Rich

Rich Sennett

That's a big mistake Rich. Not only you get worse performance for more money, you also kill your upgrade pathAnd again, 12 GB of ram is a waste of money, 6 is more than enough for that. And in a dual channel (SB) system, 4GB is perfectly fine

Hi Dazz:To late now oh well should be a hell of a lot faster than what I have now and it is close now, you can see videos of i7 920's running fsx flat out so should be ok - so any reccomended brand of ram pal ? thanks so much. You do the pmdg 747 repaints right ? nice stuffRegards, Rich

Rich Sennett