Sign in to follow this  
wanabflyer

Smoking engines

I know this has been discussed before but i cannot find any thread that has actually nailed down the cause and come up with the solution.I am still quite new to large jets in FSX, so it's practice,practice, practice.For instance i am practicing NPAs at this time, so i have set up a flight and saved it at the point in the approach that i have to start doing all the things i am practicing. Say 25 miles out and then just keep going back to that point and doing all over again. I have initially set up by selecting a default a/c and then switching to my PMDG747, but after a few reloads of the saved flight, i end up with smoking engines. It seems that everything is OK for a while, then the file must get corrupted. at least thats all i can think of. Has anyone found the cause and successfully eliminated it?

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Hi, I had the same problem. If you go to the many for selecting afcts and select once again B747 smoke is gone.Petr

Rick,I find what works best if you want to practice repeating flying approaches is to takeoff again after you touch down and stay configured. Then slew back to the starting point of your approach and come out of slew and you will still be configured and at the same airspeed at which you pressed the slew button. If needed you can always go a little father back or higher up so you can reduce flap settings or speed up to start over.Its probably a lot quicker than reloading the same flight over and over and you wont have the problems with the black smoke.This also works well when trying to set up your Ezdok landing or take off effects.Sean Campbell

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Thanks guys. Will look at both ideas. But for my practice i think i will go to the slew method. I also do have EzDok Camera. Thanks Sean.

Rick Hobbs

Hi, I had the same problem. If you go to the many for selecting afcts and select once again B747 smoke is gone.Petr
Yes it works, but why is this happening in the first place and is there a fix. I have gone back since soon after the release of the PMDG 747X and there have been discussions on this but never (that i could find) a definative fix for this problem.

Rick Hobbs

Rick,No fix available. A number of workarounds do exist as already mentioned.As far as I recall this issue was related to reloading the same aircraft within the same FSX session. Why the smoke is generated specifically, I have no idea. By selecting a 747 aircraft with different engines and then returning back to your original selection works for me.Hopefully this will get fixed in the next update from PMDG????RegardsMark

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

Rick,No fix available. A number of workarounds do exist as already mentioned.As far as I recall this issue was related to reloading the same aircraft within the same FSX session. Why the smoke is generated specifically, I have no idea. By selecting a 747 aircraft with different engines and then returning back to your original selection works for me.Hopefully this will get fixed in the next update from PMDG????RegardsMark
Thanks a lot Mark. Not the answer i wanted but at least i know i don't have to waste my time looking until the next update . PMDG are you listening? :(

Rick Hobbs

As posted in another thread, this is a core FSX issue, we cannot fix it - only ACES could have (we told them about it during development), but they were shut down as everyone knows. Just something we have to live with.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Hello,I have the same defect with the passengers model sad.png . The defect in question never showed itself with the version Cargo (in spite of the numerous flights with this last version).He%20He.gif(Electronic translation, thank you for your understanding).

As in Post #6 by Mark, there is no known solution. The problem is caused by loading the same engine type of 747 into Flight Simulator more than once. If you use different engine types there should be no problem but to use the same engines you will need to restart FSX.

Eric Vander

Pilot and Controller Boston Virtual ATC

KATL - The plural form of cow.

KORD - Something you put in a power socket.

UNIT - Something of measure

My 747 Fuel Calculator