Sign in to follow this  
strider

Multiple "aircraft.cfg"'s in a single folder?

Is it possible to have more than one "aircraft.cfg" in a single aircraft folder (aircraft.cfg, aircraft1.cfg, aircraft2.cfg, etc.) and enter a line in each aircraft entry for which CFG it uses? As an example:[fltsim.1]title=Boeing 737-400 Paint1sim=Boeing737-400cfg=aircraft2model=panel=sound=texture=1kb_checklists=Boeing737-400_checkkb_reference=Boeing737-400_refatc_id=N737Watc_airline=Landmarkatc_flight_number=1123ui_manufacturer=Boeingui_type="737-400"ui_variation="Landmark Airlines"I'm guessing not but, here's why I ask.A to be unnamed payware developer sold me an FS9 addon aircraft and a package of more addons to go with it. They did not, however, update their aircraft configuration program to look in the 2 extra aircraft folders the extra's added? And they have stated that they won't...FS9 you know..."we prefer to leave you in the lurch than fix this no longer supported FS9 stuff". How hard for them would it be? But, whatever, I'll never buy anything from them again. So, the aircraft configuration program is useless for any aircraft not in the original folder (for S&G's lets say D230, D233 and D230B are the folders...only aircraft in the D230 show up in the configurator). I have 2 options...somehow hack the configurator to change where it finds it's aircraft (no luck with that, so far) or combine all aircraft in the "D230" folder, yet retain their individual characteristics, from the "aircraft.cfg"'s. So...if option 2 is a no go...how do I find where the configurator EXE finds it's aircraft...and modify 2 copies of it?At least, if you are running FSX, you'll never have to worry about a developer abandoning you for the next version...LOL!

Is it possible to have more than one "aircraft.cfg" in a single aircraft folder (aircraft.cfg, aircraft1.cfg, aircraft2.cfg, etc.) and enter a line in each aircraft entry for which CFG it uses? As an example:[fltsim.1]title=Boeing 737-400 Paint1sim=Boeing737-400cfg=aircraft2model=panel=sound=texture=1kb_checklists=Boeing737-400_checkkb_reference=Boeing737-400_refatc_id=N737Watc_airline=Landmarkatc_flight_number=1123ui_manufacturer=Boeingui_type="737-400"ui_variation="Landmark Airlines"I'm guessing not but, here's why I ask.A to be unnamed payware developer sold me an FS9 addon aircraft and a package of more addons to go with it. They did not, however, update their aircraft configuration program to look in the 2 extra aircraft folders the extra's added? And they have stated that they won't...FS9 you know..."we prefer to leave you in the lurch than fix this no longer supported FS9 stuff". How hard for them would it be? But, whatever, I'll never buy anything from them again. So, the aircraft configuration program is useless for any aircraft not in the original folder (for S&G's lets say D230, D233 and D230B are the folders...only aircraft in the D230 show up in the configurator). I have 2 options...somehow hack the configurator to change where it finds it's aircraft (no luck with that, so far) or combine all aircraft in the "D230" folder, yet retain their individual characteristics, from the "aircraft.cfg"'s. So...if option 2 is a no go...how do I find where the configurator EXE finds it's aircraft...and modify 2 copies of it?At least, if you are running FSX, you'll never have to worry about a developer abandoning you for the next version...LOL!
Yes it`s possible just make sure the sim and model are the same,also number them correctly and check the texture as well.

Yes it`s possible just make sure the sim and model are the same,also number them correctly and check the texture as well.Here`s ax example[fltsim.0]title=McDonnell-Douglas MD-87 1Time ZS-TRHsim=aia_MD_8Xmodel=no_refltexture=ZS-TRHui_manufacturer=McDonnell-Douglasui_type=McDonnell-Douglas MD-87atc_parking_codes=RNXatc_parking_types=GATEatc_heavy=0ATC_airline=ONETIMEui_variation=1Time Airlines 'AVIS Logojet'visual_damage=1description=EC-294 - Iberia, EC-EVB - Iberia, EC-GRO - Iberia, EC-GRO - Spanair, ZS-TRH - 1Time[fltsim.1]title=AIA MD_87 City Airlinesim=aia_MD_8Xmodel=no_reflpanel=sound=texture=City Airlineatc_id=atc_airline=SWEDESTARatc_flight_number=ui_manufacturer=Aardvarkui_type=McDonnell Douglas MD-87ui_variation=City Airlinedescription=http://worldoftraffic.de.ki/atc_id_color=0x00000000visual_damage=0atc_heavy=0atc_parking_codes=SDRatc_parking_types=GATEetc etc etc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes it`s possible just make sure the sim and model are the same,also number them correctly and check the texture as well.
I wonder if you understood the question. Model, sim, and texture are irrelevant. The question is, does the sim recognize aicraft1.cfg and aircraft2.cfg, where we've always been led to believe only aircraft.cfg is valid. An easy way to find out, is to test it...I do not believe it will work as there's no mention of this in the Aircraft Container SDK. Not of multiple aircraft.cfg files in one aircraft folder, not of a "cfg=" line as part of the fltsim. section.

Mike...

Is it possible to have more than one "aircraft.cfg" in a single aircraft folder (aircraft.cfg, aircraft1.cfg, aircraft2.cfg, etc.) and enter a line in each aircraft entry for which CFG it uses? As an example:............
No, not possible I'm afraidWhat FS9 looks always for: a file named aircraft.cfg in the first subfolder of folder ...\Aircraft\.Also note that what makes an aircraft model/variant unique (and MUST BE unique over ALL aircraft.cfg files) is theTitle= xxxxxxline in the flightsim.x sections.If it isn't unique, and you select an aircraft from the menu, FS9 just picks the first aircraft.cfg (and all it's subfolders) it finds.Hence, if you ever make a backup copy of an entire aircraft folder structure (e.g. for backup if you want to change something) never make that copy in the \Aircraft\ folder itself. Because then the Title= id is no longer unique.By the way, FSX gives you a warning message if this non-uniqueness of Title= .... occurs.Rob

Guest belga1

Hello,Certainly not an answer to your particular problem (I'm affraid) but maybe some ideas ....http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?51427-Texture-aliasRegards.bye.gifGus.

I was fairly certain that the "multiple aircraft.cfg" option was a no go...but I've made other assumptions before...and been completely wrong :( . In this case the 3 aircraft do have seperate Models and Air files...but those could have been worked with as they are selected in each aircraft entry in the aircraft.cfg. I'm reduced to trying to alter the configurator for this (no longer supported) FS9 payware, so that it will recognize and alter aircraft in 3 seperate aircraft folders...or just realizing I've been somewhat abused and remembering that for the rest of my FS buying life. The "realizing" part I got a while back...the "remembering" part is now firmly implanted into a cluster of healthy, working synapses. :( If there was competition for the "problem aircraft", I would spend the money and try the other developers entry...I have done this with the first aircraft I ever bought from "these" people...and never looked back. I do understand the decision to no longer create FS9 aircraft (don't much like it but...we've had this discussion enough)...it's all business, I understand that. But failing to fix a configurator for an FS9 aircraft you sold me just after FSX was released??? Not cool. That speaks completely of "let's get this last suckers bucks on an upgrade package and not spend another dime on any problems". Again...my bad...they repeated this similar scenario with another aircraft...the only payware one of this major model I know of. It wasn't FSX, that time...it was just..."we are done" and "we are closing our website for now". LOL! Too many complaints at that time and the new forums no longer allow help from those who could possibly "fix" the problems...or even much public discussion. I realize that many developers catch a lot of flack. So what...if you plan on being in this business you better have very thick skins. You are dealing with one of the most sophisticated entertainment software buyers in the World. This ain't "gaming". Throwing out the baby with the bath water is NOT the answer. No...you do not have to put up with ignorance or opposing business views ("I want you to make this for FS9 !). I think all of us FS9'ers get that. Most of you have made it emphatically clear why your decisions are what they are. But simply screwing people by selling a totally incomplete package and then saying, 2 days after taking my dime, we don't support it and we won't fix it?? That is wrong. Oh, sure...after enough complaints a "disclaimer" is added on the sales page...lot of good that does. Most developers at least try to support their products for a reasonable amount of time. I'm talking about those few who are obviously, by their very actions, interested in only one thing...screwing people out of their money. I'll mention no names...and I'll not spend another dime on people like this...a bit too little, too late for me, I'm afraid.

What is the configurator supposed to be doing anyway? Surely it's nothing you can't do manually? If only once.

Mike...

The configurator sets whether there is a VC or 2D views, the type of panel (analog or EICAS), matte or semi-gloss exterior, various effects (engine smoke, fuel dump, flares, etc.), interior lighting color, interior glass reflections, external fuel tanks (on or off) and fuel load, payload type (cargo, transport or casualties) and the sub-types of each and weight. You would need either a lot of time to figure what the tens of different models and panels in the aircraft folder are (actual aircraft model, VC or noVC, and on and on). If the .exe included an .ini that allowed you to set the "target" aircraft folder (of the 3 possibles) it might be workable...but I'm not even sure of that...at this point.

I think it's time to name that dev and put some public pressure on them.:(

Mike...

Been there, tried that. The other thing to consider is that one thing I've learned in my 15 years simming...badmouthing a payware dev here or at the "other sim website" will get your post deleted quickly...if not your member account here outright cancelled (I speak with some experience in this matter :( ). Avsim gets a lot of support from payware developers and they get a bit touchy when you start hammering them. The other thing is that most people have moved on, so to speak. This is an FS9 addon and the general concensus with the public is "oh well"...unless you happen to be one of the unlucky slobs who bought the package. There are enough of them at the dev's website asking for things to be corrected...but like the other FS9 aircraft I bought from them..."we are no longer supporting this product". :( They are selling FSX aircraft and some disatisfied customers of older products that were never right means little to them. I tell everybody who asks for opinions on their products all about our past experiences with them. That and keeping my money away from them is about all I can do. I've heard some say that there newer products are just dandy but I refuse to reward previous bad behavior just because some say that it's all better now.

Well, I didn't want go into it, but the following:

The other thing to consider is that one thing I've learned in my 15 years simming...badmouthing a payware dev here or at the "other sim website" will get your post deleted quickly...if not your member account here outright cancelled (I speak with some experience in this matter ).
Is perhaps making it quiet. I've been here for a while now and have witnessed many public pressure threads, heated as though they may have been at times, they all went on. If you have had a different experience, then perhaps you've gone about it the wrong way.:smile:I can't imagine this topic, about a configurator and lack of support for FS9 (even though the addon for it is still being sold? I've been through it myself. They sell it at full price, you buy it at full price, but full support, nope), deleted and you locked.

Mike...

See how quiet it gets when you mention those things? :(
What's to say? The software house made their decision and that's it. It is possible someone here could help you if you were to say what aircraft you're dealing with and precisely what it is you're trying to do.DJ