Sign in to follow this  
CraigC

Best MD83, MD88, MD90, DC9-51

I installed almost everything in fs9:) Now I'm going to get some MD and DC. MD83 was released by SGA few days ago, so that's the best one I think. Can you tell me which md90, dc9-51 etc. I should download?ThanksJacek

SGA also make the best freeware MD-88 and DC-9 :) You'll need access to Flightsim.com's file library to get them! :D Steve Drabek uploaded a Delta MD-88 to that site yesterday :)

Anyone know what the similarities/differences are between the MD and DC-9? I was looking around on Northwest's homepage and noticed they operate the DC-9, but I could only find one DC-9 in the Avsim library, and it wasnt completely compatible with FS9. I am assuming these new aircraft released by SGA are.Craig

So when Northwest says they operate the DC-9, does that mean that they could or do operate all of those MDs you listed? I wish they would just list the actual aircraft they operated, but I suppose that most people wouldnt know the difference. I used to have a time table from them and I think it gave some aircraft information which was neat. Cant find that time table now though.Craig

Northwest operates DC-9-10, -30, and -50 series planes. The used to operate 8 MD80s, but have since retired them.MD80s are stretched and upgraded DC-9s. Avionics were upgrades, newer, more powerful versions of the JT8D engine were fitted, the tail was enlarged, and the wing span increased by about 15 feet. The MD81, MD82, MD83, and MD88 all share the same fuselage length but varry by engine thrust and maximum takeoff weight. There was such a range of options and changes over the years that in some cases the only way to tell them apart is to look at the airworthiness certificate or the manufacture plate in the plane. MD87s feature the wings, tail, and engines of the other MD80s with a fuselage that is similar (but not identical) in length to the DC-9-50. The MD87 featured an extra 1 ft extension to the top of the vertical stabilizer and the squared off tail cone. The new tail cone has been fitted to all models of MD80 built after the MD87 was introduced as well.The MD90 is 5 ft longer than the main MD80s and uses the taller tail from the MD87. This version also uses IAE v2500 engines inplace of the DC-9 and MD80's JT8Ds.Boeing 717s (aka the MD95) is an upgraded DC-9-34. It features the tail from the MD87 and a fuselage that is 4ft longer than the DC-9-30. It also features a futher upgrade in avionics and flight controls, with a 6 panel glass cockpit. The 717 uses BR715 engines and, in the case of the newer production versions, lacks the eyebrown windows used on early 717s and all previous DC-9/MD80/MD90 variants.

Thanks Nick. Im having a hard time finding a good freeware dc-9. I suppose I could break down and buy the good payware model, but that is usually a last resort. I will see what I can find this weekend and then buy one if nothing that I like turns up.Craig