Sign in to follow this  

I remember I had kernel-power problems on my old i7-920 system. But for the life of me, I can't remember how exactly I solved it. I think it had something to do with the overclock - I was toally amazed with the new X58 mobo I got, the P6X58D I think it was, and it was missing some voltage I think - maybe it was QPI or IMC voltage, which calmed the kernel-power problem.I would suggest, if possible, to run stock for a month or two. I know it's still not an assurance that it would not reboot, but still might be worth checking.Can you post some pics of your i7 overclock in BIOS? Might be worth looking into, since I think the overclock is the root of the problem, even if the CPU is stable.Btw. my SB had a boot problem, hanged on windows logo sometimes and on-off-on-bug - until I found it it needed a decent kick in IMC voltage, and since than (3-times-knock-on-the-wood) not a problem.Maybe worth a thought.

I remember I had kernel-power problems on my old i7-920 system. But for the life of me, I can't remember how exactly I solved it. I think it had something to do with the overclock - I was toally amazed with the new X58 mobo I got, the P6X58D I think it was, and it was missing some voltage I think - maybe it was QPI or IMC voltage, which calmed the kernel-power problem.I would suggest, if possible, to run stock for a month or two. I know it's still not an assurance that it would not reboot, but still might be worth checking.Can you post some pics of your i7 overclock in BIOS? Might be worth looking into, since I think the overclock is the root of the problem, even if the CPU is stable.Btw. my SB had a boot problem, hanged on windows logo sometimes and on-off-on-bug - until I found it it needed a decent kick in IMC voltage, and since than (3-times-knock-on-the-wood) not a problem.Maybe worth a thought.
I have my i7 2600 build far enough along that I can use it and put my i7 960 back to stock for awhile. I'll let it go for a few months to see if it happens again.As for the pics in BIOS, I'm not sure how to do that. Are you talking about screenshots of my BIOS settings? I'm still what you might call computer illiterate.......just not as much as I used to be thanks to diving into this overclock (thanks for the motivation by Stephen).

I use a UPS. I'll get Speedfan now. I assume this is a good link? I always ask before downloading ever since I got a bad copy of dxtbmp through a phishing site a couple years ago.
Yes, that's Speedfan. To log your sensor readings, press the "Configure" button -> "Log" tab -> tick "Enabled" -> press the button with an interrogation mark "?" for setup instructions

Yes, that's Speedfan. To log your sensor readings, press the "Configure" button -> "Log" tab -> tick "Enabled" -> press the button with an interrogation mark "?" for setup instructions
Got it. I'll get that setup now. I've been very happy with my temps since I installed the waterblocks, so I hope this confirms that all is well in that area. Thanks.

I use a UPS. I'll get Speedfan now. I assume this is a good link? I always ask before downloading ever since I got a bad copy of dxtbmp through a phishing site a couple years ago.
New? Old? I'm using one too and it seems it was sometimes causing Windows to hibernate.... which isn't exactly your problem. But the restarts may be a product of critical battery conditions...There's no way to disable hibernation in Win7 with the performance plan (on battery), you need to manually override it:http://forum.notebookreview.com/windows-os-software/125128-how-set-critical-battery-action-do-nothing-windows-vista.htmlIf you don't want to try that have you tried running without the UPS for a week and see if the problem persists?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

New? Old? I'm using one too and it seems it was sometimes causing Windows to hibernate.... which isn't exactly your problem. But the restarts may be a product of critical battery conditions...There's no way to disable hibernation in Win7 with the performance plan (on battery), you need to manually override it:http://forum.noteboo...dows-vista.htmlIf you don't want to try that have you tried running without the UPS for a week and see if the problem persists?
My UPS is about a month old, but I didn't have my computer plugged into it the first two restarts. In fact, the reason I bought it is because I thought the problem with the restarts was with the power in my house. I suppose it could be, but I have two other desktops that didn't restart, and there was never any indication of even the shortest power failure, such as when the clocks reset, or a television turning off. After having CompUSA and AEM look at my computer, I've made an appointment to have the electric company come check out my house just to be sure. Perhaps there's something about my computer that is particularly sensitive???? Of course even if that were the case, I would have thought that my UPS would have prevented a restart when it was hooked up the last time.

My UPS is about a month old, but I didn't have my computer plugged into it the first two restarts.
Hmm, that pretty much leaves it out of the question...And all your power options are set for high performance with advanced checked too?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Hmm, that pretty much leaves it out of the question...And all your power options are set for high performance with advanced checked too?
Yep, but I am noticing a heat issue now that I installed and ran Speedfan. I left my computer on overnight, and when I woke up this morning I got this:Of course that flame next to "remote temp" sticks out, and "Temp2" had a flame until I restarted, but then started creeping up again. I don't know what either of those temps represent, but I'm sure a fire icon can't be good.*EDIT* I also noticed that neither of my SSDs show up. Are they not capable of displaying temps?*EDIT AGAIN* I also notice it's only showing two cores, whereas I have four. Perhaps I need to reinstall SpeedFan.

I don't think there will be a memory dump of an instant shutdown. Would need to be a BSOD I think. Could be wrong though, definitely worth a look
Agreed but I've also seen a quick BSOD that immediately reboots - easy to miss. Hoping that if he stops the reboot he might get to see an error message.Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Yep, but I am noticing a heat issue now that I installed and ran Speedfan. I left my computer on overnight, and when I woke up this morning I got this:Of course that flame next to "remote temp" sticks out, and "Temp2" had a flame until I restarted, but then started creeping up again. I don't know what either of those temps represent, but I'm sure a fire icon can't be good.*EDIT* I also noticed that neither of my SSDs show up. Are they not capable of displaying temps?*EDIT AGAIN* I also notice it's only showing two cores, whereas I have four. Perhaps I need to reinstall SpeedFan.
Speedfan does not show the temp of my C300 SSD and none of the other monitoring programs that I have show a temp for it either.Whether or not the 72C on remote temp is a problem or not depends on what the temp actually is . In Speedfan you can go to the configure tab and then the temp tab, pick a temp and then adjust the lower and upper limits of the temp so you do not get the flame. Like I said though, whether or not the 72C is a problem depends on what remote temp actually is. You will need to look and see if you can tell what it actually is.

Well, I just sent my rig back to stock and removed one of the GPUs, and everytime I put even the smallest load on it, such as opening GMax, SpeedFan starts going crazy. The temps soar and everything gets a flame. However, it does not even come close to matching the temps I get from any of the cores in CoreTemp, nor are any readings in the ballpark of what BIOS tells me. Looking at SpeedFan's readings when I did that, I'd think I'd have to call the fire department and get out the burn cream, yet everything I touch in my case is cool to the touch, as indicated by other temp readings, such as from BIOS and CoreTemp.

Don't worry about SSD temps, they probably don't even have a sensor at all.The flames and other icons appear depending on the thresholds set in the Speedfan config (Desired / Warning thresholds in the "Temperatures" tab), it's not necessarily a sign of something running too hot. You can disregard the icons so long as you know what's each reading and what's the max temperature it should be at (or you can set the right thresholds if you want. Speedfan allows you to set alarms for everything that you will actually see or hear even if the Speedfan windows is minimized, unlike the icons. I use them for temps and Vcore just to be safe, but never bothered setting the icon thresholds) The remote temp is likely a fake reading. Does it change at all?. What you need to do is to use Core Temp and MSI Control Center, Aida / Everest, HWMonitor... whatever helps you identify every relevant reading in Speedfan (Cores 1 to 4, GPU1, GPU2, IOH... ) and configure it through "Configure" -> "Temperatures" to only display and log the relevant values (ticking on them and on the "Logged" checkbox at the bottom of the window) and leave the fake sensors out (unticked). If you have too many sensors selected, some simply won't show in the list, as seems to be the case for your cores 3 & 4 now. Simply move them up in the list ("Temperature" tab) or keep the list size down to a max of 10 sensors
Agreed but I've also seen a quick BSOD that immediately reboots - easy to miss. Hoping that if he stops the reboot he might get to see an error message.Vic
Yes, that's definitely a good idea Vic

Don't worry about SSD temps, they probably don't even have a sensor at all.The flames and other icons appear depending on the thresholds set in the Speedfan config (Desired / Warning thresholds in the "Temperatures" tab), it's not necessarily a sign of something running too hot. You can disregard the icons so long as you know what's each reading and what's the max temperature it should be at (or you can set the thresholds if you want. Speedfan allows you to set alarms for everything, that you will actually see or hear even if the Speedfan windows is minimized, unlike the icons. I use them for temps and Vcore just to be safe, but never bothered setting the icon thresholds) The remote temp is likely a fake reading. Does it change at all?. What you need to do is to use Core Temp and MSI Control Center, Aida / Everest, HWMonitor... whatever helps you identify every relevant reading in Speedfan (Cores 1 to 4, GPU1, GPU2, IOH... ) and configure it through "Configure" -> "Temperatures" to only display and log the relevant values (ticking on them and on the "Logged" checkbox at the bottom of the window) and leave the fake sensors out (unticked). If you have too many sensors selected, some simply won't show in the list, as seems to be the case for your cores 3 & 4 now. Simply move them up in the list ("Temperature" tab) or keep the list size down to a max of 10 sensorsYes, that's definitely a good idea Vic
That is correct, the "remote temp" does not change at all. It stays at 72 no matter what I do. So that's a relief, though I don't know about "temp 2". That one does go up, but I don't know which temp it represents. I just got in touch with MSI tech support, and they are e-mailing me a list of what each temp sensor corresponds to, so that should help I'd think.Also, I have to make a correction from earlier. I was asked if I had my power settings set to high performance, and I said yes, but it turns out I was mistaken. I guess I got in a hurry and read it wrong, but it was set to "balanced". I have now set it to "high performance".

That is correct, the "remote temp" does not change at all. It stays at 72 no matter what I do. So that's a relief, though I don't know about "temp 2". That one does go up, but I don't know which temp it represents. I just got in touch with MSI tech support, and they are e-mailing me a list of what each temp sensor corresponds to, so that should help I'd think.Also, I have to make a correction from earlier. I was asked if I had my power settings set to high performance, and I said yes, but it turns out I was mistaken. I guess I got in a hurry and read it wrong, but it was set to "balanced". I have now set it to "high performance".
Ok Jeremy. So did I get it right and MSI are going to help you pinpoint Speedfan sensors? That's cool. You can still compare your core temps in Speedfan with the CoreTemp readings, and use whatever you used before to monitor your IOH temperature to find out what's the IOH reading in Speedfan ()could very well be that Temp2). Temp 1 seems to be a fake sensor being only 15ºC, and not sure about Temp 3. If it's static, you know what to do, just ignore it.You can find more info about the Speedfan sensors in the Temperatures tab, column "chip"

Ok Jeremy. So did I get it right and MSI are going to help you pinpoint Speedfan sensors? That's cool. You can still compare your core temps in Speedfan with the CoreTemp readings, and use whatever you used before to monitor your IOH temperature to find out what's the IOH reading in Speedfan ()could very well be that Temp2). Temp 1 seems to be a fake sensor being only 15ºC, and not sure about Temp 3. If it's static, you know what to do, just ignore it.You can find more info about the Speedfan sensors in the Temperatures tab, column "chip"
Maybe, I'll have to wait and see what they e-mail me. I don't know if he's going to tell me what each sensor corresponds to with SpeedFan, or just send me the list of sensors on my motherboard. Whether or not I'll understand it is yet to be seen, but I'm sure you guys will know what it all means. Here's the temps tab. I removed my second GPU when I went back to stock settings this morning, but there was never a temp problem with either one.Is it safe for me to reapply my OC settings and reinstall the second GPU? Crossfire with the 6990s is really amazing for apps it actually works with.