Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hirgab

Short final

Hello RC folks,I was on approach to LIPZ (Venice) when I asked for a short final. I have never asked RC for this before so I thought I'd give it a try. The traffic controller did not give me nearly enough time for me to reach the altitude needed to capture the glideslope. On hindsight, it would have been best to ask for a short final when I first contacted approach instead of waiting until I was more than half-way through the approach, but I don't know if that would've changed anything. Comments? Thanks.

Hello RC folks,I was on approach to LIPZ (Venice) when I asked for a short final. I have never asked RC for this before so I thought I'd give it a try. The traffic controller did not give me nearly enough time for me to reach the altitude needed to capture the glideslope. On hindsight, it would have been best to ask for a short final when I first contacted approach instead of waiting until I was more than half-way through the approach, but I don't know if that would've changed anything. Comments? Thanks.
that old adage, careful what you ask for.i forget it short final is randomly approved, or if it's based on something. in either case, don't ask for a short final until you are below the glideslope, even if you are on downwind.jd

Hi JD, Do you know if it matters whether I ask for it as soon as I contact approach or half-way through the approach?

Short final was intended for slower GA type aircraft using low IAS to navigate the pattern.Consider this:At many airports if in IMC (instrument meteorological conditions), long approaches for jets are common to get the ducks in a row. In VMC (visual) conditions ATC may allow a visual approach which allows pilots to be responsible for their separation and take shortcuts in the pattern for a merge to final. In VMC this reduces fuel use. Controllers still monitor separation but it can put more of a load on them.My former place of employment's parking lot (I'm retired now) enabled me on a clear day to observe the approaches to KMSP runways 12L and 12R. I could see regional twin jets in VMC following a downwind but turning on an intercept earlier to merge. At one time one merged in front of a heavier aircraft that could not slow down as much and the heavier one had to do a go-around.If your aircraft is equipped with a TCAS gauge open up your range to see what else is on approach before doing the short final request. Be sure your aircraft is far enough on downwind based on your aircraft speed and observe your horizontal distance from final so you can lose altitude as needed. It helps to have the approach chart for the airport preferably one with the topographical information around the airport area. You can also use on the chart the MSA quadrant to know if you can go lower than the averaged MSA that RC uses. To get altitude flexibility use the NOTAMS option (see RC manual) in the RC Controller page which lets you deviate from RC ATC within the airport area but still getting vectors. Alternately if you include STAR waypoints in the flight plan sent to RC and your GPS or FMC terminal procedure (SID/STAR) waypoints match the ones sent to RC as soon as you get the assigned runway from approach and ack it you can request an IAP from RC approach (at about 35 nm out) and then you will be able to use the remaining terminal procedure waypoints doing your aircraft AP coupled navigation without RC issuing vectors until tower contact on final. See IAP in the RC manual.FAA charts are available free from flightaware.com and European Union member airport charts are available with free registration on Eurocontrol:http://ead-website.ead-it.com/publicuser/public/pu/login.jspSearch the AVSIM FS forums for other sources.If you have an FMC or in some cases GPS navigation systems with terminal procedure databases you can display approaches on your navigation display for guidance while using your MCP/AP heading and altitude controls to follow vectors. On MCP systems I always display the runway final approach with the extended center line and look at the LEGS page for altitude guidance on the expected intercept altitude.