Sign in to follow this  
spotlope

Uncommanded full flaps setting

I'm having a consistent problem w/the button control edition and my iFly 737-700/800. I've noticed that after engine start, when I call for takeoff flaps, my FS2Crew FO sets the flaps to full flaps, then announces "takeoff flaps set". I've selected flaps 5 in both the CDU and the FS2Crew takeoff briefing - did I miss some other spot where it needs to be set? It's not just takeoff, either: I crashed on landing at KLAS yesterday. I called for flaps 15, and noticed that after that the aircraft's speed started decaying rapidly until it stalled. When the same thing happened today, I immediately pressed Pause and looked around to see what was happening. Sure enough, my call for flaps 15 resulted in the FO setting full flaps, resulting in rapid deceleration as my plane tried to reduce to safe full-flaps speed.The only non-standard control I have set is that I use a GoFlight LGT module that is set to control the flaps. Any ideas what could be happening? I'm going to be embarrassed if I missed something obvious - wouldn't be the first time, though, so I'm used to it. :(

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

Hi Bill,This is the issue:

The only non-standard control I have set is that I use a GoFlight LGT module that is set to control the flaps
Your external flap control hardware is likely sending signals that conflict with FS2Crew's.Are you manually moving the flap lever in your external hardware to match what the FS2Crew FO is attempting to do?Best,

Hi Bill,This is the issue:Your external flap control hardware is likely sending signals that conflict with FS2Crew's.Are you manually moving the flap lever in your external hardware to match what the FS2Crew FO is attempting to do?Best,
No, I'm letting the copilot set the flaps. I'm not actually touching my flap lever at all. Curiously, I don't recall this happening the first few times I used FS2Crew with the iFly, but now it's constant. Clearly, something has changed in my setup, I'm just not sure what it is. I'll try unassigning the flaps from the GoFlight unit to see if that makes any difference.By the way, the GoFlight unit has a simple rocker switch for the flaps, up for retracting the flaps one notch, and down for extending them. It should work exactly like assigning a controller button to do that, so in theory at least there's no hardware handle position to conflict w/what FS2Crew thinks is happening.thanks,Bill

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

A quick update: I tried disabling my GoFlight software entirely in the exe.xml file. With no GF inputs at all, the flaps problem persists. I've noticed that the FO doesn't seem to be able to set flaps right at all. On my current flight, asking for T/O flaps (supposed to be 5) got me full flaps again. I put them back to 5 manually and proceeded as normal. On takeoff, I request flaps 5 according to the schedule and got no flap handle movement (good, since it was at 5 already), but asking for flaps 1 got a bypass directly to flaps up.So the problem seems to be that FS2Crew can't seem to raise or lower flaps consistently to the right mark. The $64K question now... why would that be, and how can I get it working properly?

Bill Womack

A quick update: I tried disabling my GoFlight software entirely in the exe.xml file. With no GF inputs at all, the flaps problem persists. I've noticed that the FO doesn't seem to be able to set flaps right at all. On my current flight, asking for T/O flaps (supposed to be 5) got me full flaps again. I put them back to 5 manually and proceeded as normal. On takeoff, I request flaps 5 according to the schedule and got no flap handle movement (good, since it was at 5 already), but asking for flaps 1 got a bypass directly to flaps up.So the problem seems to be that FS2Crew can't seem to raise or lower flaps consistently to the right mark. The $64K question now... why would that be, and how can I get it working properly?
Hi Bill,Please see this thread:http://forum.avsim.net/topic/332958-flap-and-gear-levers/page__p__1963647__hl__hardware__fromsearch__1#entry1963647Long story short, make sure the flap control assignment is also disabled in FSUIPC, which I assume you're using.This is the conflict area... trust me, if the flaps were totally broken, I'd be hearing about it 100 times a day :(

Hi Bill,Please see this thread:http://forum.avsim.net/topic/332958-flap-and-gear-levers/page__p__1963647__hl__hardware__fromsearch__1#entry1963647Long story short, make sure the flap control assignment is also disabled in FSUIPC, which I assume you're using.This is the conflict area... trust me, if the flaps were totally broken, I'd be hearing about it 100 times a day :(
Thanks, I'll have a look. And yeah, I figured it was something obscure or related to my system, or it never would have made it through beta.

Bill Womack

Bryan,I did some testing today using your suggestion about FSUIPC and flap settings. In my case, it wasn't applicable, as I didn't have any FSUIPC settings for flaps, just the default FSX key commands. In addition, my GoFlight LGT module is the only controller that sends a flap assignment - no other controllers on my setup are set to control them.After confirming that there were no extraneous assignments, I tried re-enabling my GoFlight module and setting up a new flight from cold and dark. I found that if I started FS2Crew and stepped through the checklists until I found the first "set takeoff flaps" command and issued it, the FO properly set my flaps to 5. I then restarted the flight and tried stepping to the after takeoff procedure and calling for flaps 5, 1, and up. In every case, FS2Crew performed perfectly. This was true when I stepped to the flaps extend calls for the landing as well. However, when I then started over again from scratch and did a full preflight and engine start, then called for takeoff flaps, the FO once again set them to full (flaps 40) and announced "takeoff flaps set". So somehow there's a difference between asking for the flaps without running the full procedures, and asking for them as part of the normal set of flows. Confused yet? I know I am.Any notion on where to proceed from here?Bill

Bill Womack

Bryan,I did some testing today using your suggestion about FSUIPC and flap settings. In my case, it wasn't applicable, as I didn't have any FSUIPC settings for flaps, just the default FSX key commands. In addition, my GoFlight LGT module is the only controller that sends a flap assignment - no other controllers on my setup are set to control them.After confirming that there were no extraneous assignments, I tried re-enabling my GoFlight module and setting up a new flight from cold and dark. I found that if I started FS2Crew and stepped through the checklists until I found the first "set takeoff flaps" command and issued it, the FO properly set my flaps to 5. I then restarted the flight and tried stepping to the after takeoff procedure and calling for flaps 5, 1, and up. In every case, FS2Crew performed perfectly. This was true when I stepped to the flaps extend calls for the landing as well. However, when I then started over again from scratch and did a full preflight and engine start, then called for takeoff flaps, the FO once again set them to full (flaps 40) and announced "takeoff flaps set". So somehow there's a difference between asking for the flaps without running the full procedures, and asking for them as part of the normal set of flows. Confused yet? I know I am.Any notion on where to proceed from here?Bill
Hi Bill,Hmmm, that's really bizarre.There's no difference between doing the full procedure versus skipping it. When FS2Crew sends a command to position the flaps, it's just a very simple command, like: "Set Flaps 5". It's dead simple.It still has to be your hardware, or, as I say, I'd be hearing about this from every user.Can you physically unplug the Go-Flight device and make sure no processes with it are running in the background.Other wild guesses are:1. Never resize the FS2Crew panels. You can move them, just don't resize them (make them bigger or smaller).2. Make sure you're running the latest version of the iFly.Failing all that, contact me via the Contact page on the FS2Crew website. Maybe we can do a Remote Desktop and I can maybe see something through that.Best,

If I can jump in here, I have had this problem in the past and found it to be some sort of conflict or corruption of the FS key assignments. The way I fixed it was to go to FS key assignments and assign the flaps up/down to some keys and then remove the assignments.Fixed it for me, may be worth a try in that area.Cheers,Richard.

If I can jump in here, I have had this problem in the past and found it to be some sort of conflict or corruption of the FS key assignments. The way I fixed it was to go to FS key assignments and assign the flaps up/down to some keys and then remove the assignments.Fixed it for me, may be worth a try in that area.Cheers,Richard.
Good idea, Richard. I'll give that a go. Last night I did some more testing, and discovered (much to my confusion) that after reinstalling the iFly and FS2Crew, the flaps problem has been completely resolved - but only on the -800 model. The other still exhibit the problem the same as before. :( Strange days, indeed.

Bill Womack

Good idea, Richard. I'll give that a go. Last night I did some more testing, and discovered (much to my confusion) that after reinstalling the iFly and FS2Crew, the flaps problem has been completely resolved - but only on the -800 model. The other still exhibit the problem the same as before. :( Strange days, indeed.
I have this exact problem myself.I'm using the saitek pro yoke and the darn fo is very flap happy.No assignement via fsuipc here.I'm now trying to update to the latest version and will report back if the problem persists.Vic

I have this exact problem myself.I'm using the saitek pro yoke and the darn fo is very flap happy.No assignement via fsuipc here.I'm now trying to update to the latest version and will report back if the problem persists.Vic
I have to confirm that the FO is still flap happy with the new 1.6 version.When I'm ready to take off and the FO needs to set flaps he sets flaps full instead of flaps 1!

I have to confirm that the FO is still flap happy with the new 1.6 version.When I'm ready to take off and the FO needs to set flaps he sets flaps full instead of flaps 1!
I'm afraid there's not much I can suggest.You can try PM'ing Bill. He said it only happened on select models, which is strange.

I'm afraid there's not much I can suggest.You can try PM'ing Bill. He said it only happened on select models, which is strange.
I did a full flight and also on approach the fo would set random, flaps instead of the right 10,15 and so on.

There's something wonky going on between your external flap hardware and the iFly/FS2Crew.What it is I couldn't guess.This is what Bill said:

Good idea, Richard. I'll give that a go. Last night I did some more testing, and discovered (much to my confusion) that after reinstalling the iFly and FS2Crew, the flaps problem has been completely resolved - but only on the -800 model. The other still exhibit the problem the same as before. :(
I'm afraid I don't have this particular piece of external hardware, so it's hard to comment. Please PM Bill Womac; he might be able to help as well.Best,