Sign in to follow this  
stfitts

Overclocking for dummies?

In preparation of the release, I've been given permission to build a computer and will be ordering parts tonight. I'm ordering the i7 2600k sandybridge with the Asus P8Z68 mobo and the GTX570.My question is this....how in the world do I start overclocking this processor and where should I stop at? I've read some places that its a simple as a couple clicks in the mobo software and other places its gonna be a walk through the bios. If anyone can give me a idea on where/how to do all this I would much appreciate it. I am hoping to get 4ghz out of this but then I've seen others get 4.5. Any help would be grateful!

Hey Shawn, I just built mine, using a I7 2600K with an ASUS P8Z68-V Pro Mobo, ASUS 560 TI 1 GB Video card, and I am getting locked at 24 fps fairly steady on a fps pig plane. I haven't overclocked anything, and it seems to be working just fine. Just food for thought............

I just envy you guy , at my age I have to ask permission to my mind only and I assure you I am almost never surprised by the answer Just%20Kidding.gifMark Fosseth

Oh and that ASUS board, it is real easy to overclock so far as I know, when you first turn on your computer, you hit the DEL key, and go right into the BIOS and do it from there. I haven't actually played around with it much though.

maybe the best advice I can give is, dont try overclocking anything for a few days after you finish the build. That way if you will know if it starts going ** up (goes wrong) its not because you tried to overclock it hehe. Run some games, do so surfing and get FSX up and running. Then overclock it. Its always best to start with a system that you know its stable.

Oh and that ASUS board, it is real easy to overclock so far as I know, when you first turn on your computer, you hit the DEL key, and go right into the BIOS and do it from there. I haven't actually played around with it much though.
I have a week old build of the same PC, Running ORBX, REX, ******* .cfg tweaks with a external FPS limiter, I have yet to be able to bog this thing down, Its only been a week, but havent felt the need to overclock this one like i did with my I7950. More then impressed with its stock performance.

In preparation of the release, I've been given permission to build a computer and will be ordering parts tonight. I'm ordering the i7 2600k sandybridge with the Asus P8Z68 mobo and the GTX570.My question is this....how in the world do I start overclocking this processor and where should I stop at? I've read some places that its a simple as a couple clicks in the mobo software and other places its gonna be a walk through the bios. If anyone can give me a idea on where/how to do all this I would much appreciate it. I am hoping to get 4ghz out of this but then I've seen others get 4.5. Any help would be grateful!
You should be able to get 4 ghz easily by just changing the multiplier to 40. If you want 4.5, you also need more vcore. I run 4.5 and 1.31 vcore with hyperthreading off, or 4.5 1.33 vcore with hyperthreading on.I also need to enable load line calibration and CPU pll overvoltage at 4.5.

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpgsig_TheBusIveBeenWaitingFor.jpg

Alfredo Terrero

Hey Shawn, I just built mine, using a I7 2600K with an ASUS P8Z68-V Pro Mobo, ASUS 560 TI 1 GB Video card, and I am getting locked at 24 fps fairly steady on a fps pig plane. I haven't overclocked anything, and it seems to be working just fine. Just food for thought............
I appreciate the feed back. I was hoping for 30fps thought so thats why i wanna OC. Is it stuttery at all or smooth??
I just envy you guy , at my age I have to ask permission to my mind only and I assure you I am almost never surprised by the answer Just%20Kidding.gif
HEY HEY HEY! I like to tell myself that too but the Ms. wouldnt be happy if $1500 disappeared without her knowing! lol

Shawn,I have overclocked to 4.6 with the same processor at about 1.33v VCore. I have an ASRock board (the Z68 chipset as well) and I was able to set my clock settings very easily. I left the voltage setting on auto and it runs just fine. Perfectly stable and 24+ FPS everywhere except NYC and I have UT2 and FSX set to 70% traffic with REX as well. Just make sure you have an aftermarket cooler. With Prime95 running a torture test at 4.6GHz and my CoolerMaster Hyper212+, I stay around 74-77 Deg C running for hours. Intel recommends not exceeding 92 Deg, but I never let my 2600K get above 80 for longevity. The stock intel cooler sucks...after maybe a minute on Prime95 I was at like 82C so I shut it off. AdamEDIT...saw your other questions. I keep it locked at 30 using the FPS limiter 0.2 software (free). For some reason, when I try to limit FPS with FSX, it immediately loses 10 and stutters occasionally. With FPS Limiter 0.2, I have no stutters whatsoever and 30 FPS is plenty...I'm stuck at 30 most of the time unless I'm in really demading areas. And like someone else said, don't do overclocking out of the box...there is a chance that with your set up, FSX will run to your satisfaction without OC. If OC'ing isn't necessary, don't do it just to say you have a 4.X GHx quad core.

Thanks for all the help guys! Thankfully this isn't my first build, just my first OC effort. Ill keep everyone informed as to how it goes.

I have a week old build of the same PC, Running ORBX, REX, ******* .cfg tweaks with a external FPS limiter, I have yet to be able to bog this thing down, Its only been a week, but havent felt the need to overclock this one like i did with my I7950. More then impressed with its stock performance.
Hey Shane, what did you do for cfg tweaks? Do you have a link? It's my next step that I need to do.Thanks!

I can't for the life of me figure out why these posts are allowed to stay on this forum when they should be on the Hardware forums. But anyway that is for the mods.Adam, take a look at my BIOS post in the MOBO forums, I am getting 4.9 GHz with the i2500K, low voltage and stable using the same ASRock Z68 Extreme 4 board. I did use a different overclocking method.btw, there are links to some very detailed overclocking guides on the Hardware forums.Mark.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Sorry Shawn, just seen your 2nd post. I am sure I could do 30 no problem, I just set it at 24. Unlimited with the stock cessna, stock scenery, all sliders maxed when I first installed everything I got it bouncing on 200 fps.

Try this: Sandy Bridge Overclocking Guide For BeginnersZ68 is the same as P67 in overclocking meaning. Please note OC ability varies from processor to processor. Mine is not able to get stable 4.8GHz even @1,5V.RegardsCzarek

Adam, take a look at my BIOS post in the MOBO forums, I am getting 4.9 GHz with the i2500K, low voltage and stable using the same ASRock Z68 Extreme 4 board. I did use a different overclocking method.
Well, the way I figure it, going from 4.6 to 4.9 is a difference of maybe 6% which when running at between 17 FPS (at very worst...NYC, traffic, weather) and 30 FPS (99% of the time) results in a 1-2 FPS increase. I'm rather comfortable with my overclock. Thanks for the read though...I did learn a bit more about overclocking from your MOBO forum posts. Call me a pansy, but my last machine had to last about 5 years and this one will have to last me quite some time too. I'd hate to sacrifice longevity of my chip to bump my clock up to 49x. Maybe when the newness of my machine wears off a bit and I'm not so worried about "hurting it," I'll go higher. Adam