Sign in to follow this  
NGXfanatic

HUD landing video

I'm not one to post youtube video links, as there is no shortage of them and they are easy to search for if you know what you are looking for.But with the advent of the HUD in the forthcoming NGX, I thought I'd share a nice video on short final to touchdown in a 737-800 at KLAX.Hopefully it will inspire you to adapt to this new technology, and I am very excited to learn about it and put it to use, especially in bad weather or night conditions!

THose caribbean airlines pilots mightve found them useful last saturday although i thought i saw them on one of their 800's a few weeks ago greaat vid

I like this one...it shows the AIII mode nicely:

This one shows the PRI and VMC modes:

Isnt the uploader of these two videos a PMDG forum member? Edited by Efussander

Thanks for these other links Ethan. The 2nd vid was interesting, I noticed that he asked for flaps 5 before he even slowed down below flaps 1 maneuver speed, I thought that was frowned upon as it is a flaps overspeed.

I've watched all those dozens of times! Great vids!And you'll notice all the flares are consistent. 20-30ft the VS drops considerably and touchdown is always -100fpm or less.

I'm still trying to learn the HUD info. In the nighttime video, there were 3 things I couldnt quite understand: 1) What is the "Aiii" that keeps flashing?2) To the left of that Aiii is an arrow pointing to a number. What is that for?3) Next to the circle used to aim for the runway (sorry, I don't know the technical term) is a bar that gets longer/shorter. What is it? I have the full PMDG training manuals, so if anyone can tell me where to look for this info it would be appreciated.

The arrow and number are wind direction and speed, the bar that seems to grow and shrink is the speed error tape, eg, difference in commanded speed and actual speed. Don't know about the flashing Aiii, probably something like Aiii mode is available or not?

1) AIII is CATIII approach: "primarily used for manual flown CAT II or CAT IIIa approaches and landing operations" 2) That arrow represents wind direction and number next to it is the wind speed 3) That bar shows speed reference (if you are flying 5 kts faster than selected speed on MCP, the tape will rise upwards with a lenght of the diameter of flight path circle - your runway-aiming-circle cool.png. The lenght is limited to 15 kts though ) If you are interested in more detailed operation of HUD, you can read it on smartcockpit's page (starting from page 116 on): http://www.smartcock...7/systems/0022/

Re: the flap speeds, F1 and F5 have limit speeds of 250kts so no problems extending them. The flap symbols on the speed tape are the min manoeuvre speeds for that flap setting (varies with weight).AIII mode uses internal logic from BOTH aircraft ILS sensors, HGS and other a/c systems eg Radio Alt to provide guidence all the way to touchdown and ground roll out. This is slightly different to PRI and IMC modes where it is simply repeating the F/D commands from the single F/D system that is selected.The AIII is flashing indicating that it is available (ie both ILS's selected, aircraft within heading close to ILS course and both LLZ and G/S within required tolerance etc). It can then be selected if desired or left in PRI or IMC mode.

Sorry, I should add that the first of the 2 videos is not actually in AIII mode. Its in IMC and the flashing AIII shows that that mode could have been selected if wanted. You'll notice there is no roundout guidence,just a flashing " + + " symbol that is there to remind us to round out manually.In this video

the HUD is in AIII mode (AIII now steady) and you will see the flashing roundout guidance cue " + " rise and it is only necessary to follow it with the boresight to round out the aircraft and then when on the ground use the rudder to track straight down the runway ( the guidance cue will follow the LLZ signal). This could all be done in full fog (zero vis), If the integrity of the system is compromised eg equip failure or out of tolerance on approach the AIII will change to APPROACH WARN and you would have to give up the app and G/A.So I guess the moral of the story is to check what mode, PRI, IMC, VMC or AIII, you are in.Hope this helps make things clearer.