Sign in to follow this  
icontact

AI Traffic Landing @ Quito Airport

I finished installing AeroGal AI Traffic on FSX and I thought I'd test it by playing as ATC at Quito. Not much traffic going on there at the time but I had an Iberia flight 6463 inbound so I thought I'd watch it on final. It was obvious at 8 nm out that it was way too high and eventually declared a missed approach, I sat there patiently while it came back around only to fail and went missed again. My question is - has anyone witnessed any AI traffic successfuly land at Quito?

The default Quito has no parking for AI. If you do not have proper scenery installed for Quito, AI can't land there. Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

I suggest the scenery Borisforero QuitoX.Nice FPS and very detailed scenery. And many AI parked at the gates! LOL.gif

Flavio Cardoso - P3Dv4.5 HF3

Win 10 Pro 64Bits - i74960X 4.5ghz - ASUS Rampage IV Black Ed. - Corsair H150i Platinum - 32gb  Ripjaws Z - ASUS RTX 2080 SUPER SC - MCP 737R 2015 Virtual Avionics

The default FSX SEQU airport has 8 Gate Small, 4 Ramp GA Large, 1 Gate Medium and 1 Gate Heavy parking spots. That should give you some AI traffic. However landing might always be an issue. It basically relates to elevation, of the airport and the surrounding terrain. The ILS Rwy 35 approach has an approach altitude of 12,000 feet at the CF35 waypoint - 8 miles from the runway. AI aircraft should be able to make the descent easily in that distance. However, the approach has a Missed Approach altitude of 14,001 feet at that waypoint. The problem is that the coarse grid system which FS uses to decide the MSA (Minimum Safe Altitude) will keep most AI traffic above 15,000 feet and maybe as high as 17,000 feet until the plane is turned over to the approach system. Only then may the aircraft descend below the MSA. I would expect AI aircraft to be more likely to land on Rwy 35 than those given Rwy 17 for landing - due to the lack of any instrument approaches for Rwy 17. That can often be too close to the runway for a plane to make a successful descent to runway altitude. This occurs in many airports around the FS world located in mountain areas and there is not much we can do about it. At some airports, AI aircraft will be successful only on a second or third approach to landing, at some airports, they will never land. There will be plenty of AI for takeoff at the airport, just no successful landings.

I ran FS for over an hour at the default SEQU. All landings were set for Rwy 35. The AIA B737 from the Aerogal and Icaro World of AI packages landed just fine. Of the GA type aircraft, a couple of King Air and Lear 45 landed well, and some single engine Cessna's from the HTAI pack. A couple King Air went around and did not complete a new approach. A VIP Peru D328-100 turboprop (JBAI Model & FD) from the WoA V.I.P. package hit the runway too hard and did not successfully land. A UPS AIA B752 flew into a mountain about 35 miles southeast of the airport - which put it into the ground mode - so it taxied the rest of the distance to the runway. All in all, I'd call it a fair performance for a mountain valley airport.

thanks for the detailed responses guys, I didn't had a lot of time to test at the time of posting but will definitely look into it more. I did have a couple of planes parked at the gates but were not ready for departure. The AI was a TFS A340 @FlavioSSA - Borisforero QuitoX looks amazing. thanks for the recommendation.