Sign in to follow this  
cj-ibbotson

Controller Sensitivities / Deadzones

Google WHAT ? Geoff
Meaning if you're not comfortable or don't understand how to unassign/disable throttle axis in FSX and re-assign/calibrate using FSUIPC, do a google search. There are many step by step tutorials on numerous forums. Sorry for the confusion. Rob

When you set the Joystick/Yoke in FSX, the "SENSITIVITY" is "Rate of Change" sensitivity, not "Deflection" sensitivity. If you set the sensitivity lower, the response time is lower, but the control surface will still eventually move to the same position, as it would if you set the sensitivity to high. ieLOW sensitivity = damped response -- SLOW to respond = LUMBERING 747HIGH sensitivity = instant response = Extra 300 So you have some control here, to DAMP down the planes response -- The Question is, what is a REALISTIC setting, and how much does PMDG reduce the response in their air file, and how much should your FSX "sensitivity" contribute. I would recommend minimum "DEAD ZONE"... unless you want to simulate "Slack Control cables", or "Air in your Hydraulics" !! ========= There is an OPTIONAL setting you can add to your FSX.CFG, that will change the "Sensitivity" form the default "rate of change" sensitivity, to actual "deflection sensitivity" If you set this, the , say you set the Sensitivity to 50%, then, for Max deflection of your controller, you will only gte 50% deflection of your control surface.==========================Under[CONTROLS] add stick_sensitivity_mode=0========================= Try it set this way in the Extra 300, and try an "8 point Roll" -- Magic !! Instant response, no more "Slack - Elastic band, control cables " !! WELCOME to a whole NEW SIM !!! Geoff
stick_sensitivity_mode 0 + PMDG 737 = Best thing since toasted bread w/butter n jelly Gidel Ward

stick_sensitivity_mode 0 + PMDG 737 = Best thing since toasted bread w/butter n jelly Gidel Ward
Cool Gidel Hug.gif Just watch those calories !!

stick_sensitivity_mode=0 Begining or Last Line in [Controls] ? deadband =0, sensitivity = max. Are for the Sliders in FSX right?

• Upvote 1

Wow I just tried it! Thanks So Much it handles like a dream now!!! I have hated how my controllers were so jerky and all over the place before and now they are smooth as butter. When I take off my rotations are so much smoother and enjoyable now, not to mention how much easier it is to stay on the center line.

stick_sensitivity_mode=0 Should it go at the first line or the last line in [Controls]? deadband =0, sensitivity = max. Are for the sliders in FSX right?
CORRECT

Cool Gidel Hug.gif Just watch those calories !!
LoL
Geoff, take a look at my pic. is it correct?
I placed the line right under "[Controls]" and it worked fine.

FSMP, Thanks for the tip concerning STICK_SENSITIVITY_MODE. I made the change to my fsx.cfg file and find that the control response is improved. There is no longer difficultly with keeping the aircraft on centerline during the takeoff roll because my rudder setting is too sensititve. The control response in flight has improved. I did a full set of FAA ATP Practical Test Standards maneuvers as test. The response was excellent. I still need to perform my "major test", which is a V1 cut. I use the PFC Jet Yoke and the FlightLink rudder pedals for my primary controls. Awhile back, my PFC Jet Yoke was INOP due to a broken connector and I had to revert to using an older CH Yoke for bit. During that time, I noticed that the control response varied between these two controllers with the same MSFS joystick settings for a given simulator. That caused me to consider what effect the type control device used to develop the simulator might have on the user who is using a different controller. One quick question. Does setting the STICK_SENSITIVITY_MODE=0 have any effect on the flight dynamics for the simulator? In other words, does this change result in different pitch attitudes for an approach, the pitch attitude to hold altitude in a turn at given bank angle, pitch attitude for level flight at given airspeed? Does it change the effects of the spoiler/speedbrake in fight, i.e. make it more/less effective? PMDG did a great job with NGX with the their pitch attitudes, speed brake effects. I do not wish mess up their work with NGX in any way. That would not be good! Thanks for your help! Rich BollWichita KS

Richard Boll

Wichita, KS

Geoff, take a look at my pic. is it correct?
Does that apply if you are setting up all the controllers through FSUIPC? I have it that way and have actually disabled all controllers in the FSX settings menu. Would i get the same effects with your stick sensitivity .cfg entry?

Omar Josef
737/757/767

Does that apply if you are setting up all the controllers through FSUIPC? I have it that way and have actually disabled all controllers in the FSX settings menu. Would i get the same effects with your stick sensitivity .cfg entry?
If you try this, please tell me your opinion. I tried and I think that is easy to fly that way, but nothing to do with 737 or any heavy aircraft. Maybe for aerobatics only, it's to responsive

FSMP, One quick question. Does setting the STICK_SENSITIVITY_MODE=0 have any effect on the flight dynamics for the simulator? In other words, does this change result in different pitch attitudes for an approach, the pitch attitude to hold altitude in a turn at given bank angle, pitch attitude for level flight at given airspeed? Does it change the effects of the spoiler/speedbrake in fight, i.e. make it more/less effective? PMDG did a great job with NGX with the their pitch attitudes, speed brake effects. I do not wish mess up their work with NGX in any way. That would not be good! Thanks for your help! Rich BollWichita KS
If you keep SENSITIVITY slider to max, you will get the same full deflection, as before.

If you keep SENSITIVITY slider to max, you will get the same full deflection, as before.
Maybe I did something wrong, I had only 50% deflection. I will try again, but I want to know if this is more realistic for NGX for exemple? Closer to realistic handling of one 737?

My sliders are at max. Thanks for the tip. I'm looking foward to trying it in other sim models as well. Thanks! Rich

Richard Boll

Wichita, KS