Sign in to follow this  
compressor_stall

How much of a factor is processor speed on NGX frame rates?

Hi guys, I was wondering how much of a factor CPU speed is on NGX performance. For example, would an upgrade from 2330 hz to 3060 hz make a difference with FPS? I started considering this after I noticed that every time I try to run the NGX, my CPU usage stays firmly locked at 100% until crashing. Thanks in advance, Regards Dylan

Hi Dylan -- yes, CPU speed is important to FSX in general, and especially in heavy duty complex add-ons such as the NGX.The short answer is that FSX was written back in the days when most computers used single-core CPUs so it focuses the majority of its load on one CPU cell even in a multi-CPU device.The service packs that have followed for FSX have helped to employ multi-core CPUs but it will never be as good as a sim written specifically for multi-core devices as we have now and hence that is what Microsoft's new FLIGHT will be. It will be some time before we see FLIGHT (just my opinion) but it would still be a good idea to get a performance computer with a multi-core CPU now and get ready. Not only will you get much better performance with FSX, but when FLIGHT arrives, it will most likely be mandatory. Either way you win. Hope these simple comments help. Happy Flying!!! LOL.gif

Thanks for your help! My first plan of action is to purchase a temporary patch (a new, faster processor) for my existing system and see about a new hyper-system next year if money permits. Praying.gif Regards, Dylan

Dylan, I would advise against a bang up side grade job. Of course you probably already read that! Just know that the performance gain will be nothing spectacular. Good luck! System builders, look away with what I'm about to say. This is advice given only under the pretense someone makes a bad decison: Are you running an E6550? If you are dead set on making this sidegrade (meet the following requirements), you do have the E6550 Conroe chip, *your mother board supports it*, and you can't overclock, go with a Q9650. That is to say the Q9650 is the fastest Quad 775 processor. I'm not sure what motherboard you have, but it has got to support the Q9xxx processors to make the mentioned sidegrade.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules