Sign in to follow this  
737freak

Does PMDG 'own' the title 'NGX'

We all know the product from PMDG is called PMDG 737NGX, which represets the Boeing 737NG and it's variants. The title '737NG' is a Boeing Trademark, but is the title '737NGX' also a PMDG trademark?Is it a product name that belongs to PMDG and the NGX only? I ask this because I see more and more people calling other 737's for FS '737 NGX'. Also, there are a lot of people using this title to express the airplane they fly. For example, they rever to the Boeing 737NG as the Boeing 737NGX. Others are starting to call their 'iFly', the iFly 737 NGX. This is wrong because the iFly is called 'iFly 737NG for FSX'... So, is the product title 737NGX a PMDG trademark which only aplies to the PMDG 737NGX?

Henk de Vries

We all know the product from PMDG is called PMDG 737NGX, which represets the Boeing 737NG and it's variants. The title '737NG' is a Boeing Trademark, but is the title '737NGX' also a PMDG trademark?Is it a product name that belongs to PMDG and the NGX only? I ask this because I see more and more people calling other 737's for FS '737 NGX'. Also, there are a lot of people using this title to express the airplane they fly. For example, they rever to the Boeing 737NG as the Boeing 737NGX. Others are starting to call their 'iFly', the iFly 737 NGX. This is wrong because the iFly is called 'iFly 737NG for FSX'... So, is the product title 737NGX a PMDG trademark whick only aplies to the PMDG 737NGX?
I would think so !! Fred.

The X is for Flight Simulator X. It is PMDG's product. The NG in 737NG is for Next Generation, referring to the upgraded models. To phrase it differently, The PMDG 737NGX is a simulation of a Boeing 737NG

Chris Hicks

The X is for Flight Simulator X. It is PMDG's product. The NG in 737NG is for Next Generation, referring to the upgraded models. To phrase it differently, The PMDG 737NGX is a simulation of a Boeing 737NG
This is irrelevant to the legal question of whether there is trademark protection around "NGX."Trevor

I doubt it. The term NGX is far too general to be legally bound to one company.

I'm just saying, it's not the official title of anything else, its just that many people don't understand the difference between NG and NGX, so the terms get interchanged a lot.

Chris Hicks

What about UPS? IBM? Whether or not there is trademark protection here would probably have more to do with the fact that Boeing has conflicting rights with respect to the 737NG portion of "737NGX." Anyway, who cares. :)

We cannot trademark anything involving Boeing's property. The term is approved by them and we've licensed the use of their trademarks. We do find it funny though that people think the real aircraft is called a 737NGX. Maybe we should petition Boeing to actually call the re-engined version this!

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

What about UPS? IBM? Whether or not there is trademark protection here would probably have more to do with the fact that Boeing has conflicting rights with respect to the 737NG portion of "737NGX." Anyway, who cares. :)
UPS and IBM are both actual companies, NG is the name of a plane. X is just referring to FSX

UPS and IBM are both actual companies, NG is the name of a plane. X is just referring to FSX
That has nothing to do with it - trademarking refers to products and processes. There's nothing that inherently prevents the term "NGX" from being trademarked - it is in fact a recognizable product produced by us.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

So why did you (PMDG) decide not to trade mark the term?

Yes, they are companies. But, that doesn't factor into trademark protection analysis. When dealing with products, the focus is on the significance of the combination of letters and their relation to the particular product. There's also quite a big difference between common law trademark protection and the rights afforded by registration.

I've got my team of patent and trademark attorneys on it. Maybe if I own the trademark to NGX, i could trade it for a free copy of the 777, or A380, or whatever is next.

Dennis Trawick

Screen Shot Forum Rules

AVSIMSignature_zpsed110b13.jpg

So why did you (PMDG) decide not to trade mark the term?
See Ryan's response above. Boeing has conflicting rights in the "737NG" portion of "737NGX". Just like I would have difficulty getting trademark protection for shoes that I call Nikee.

See Ryan's response above. Boeing has conflicting rights in the "737NG" portion of "737NGX". Just like I would have difficulty getting trademark protection for shoes that I call Nikee.
Could you get trademark protection for an airplane called Nikee with a pair of shoes painted on the side?

Dennis Trawick

Screen Shot Forum Rules

AVSIMSignature_zpsed110b13.jpg