Sign in to follow this  
flabberjabber

Upgrade CPU or GPU

Not sure. Haven't ordered it yet. Funds are low at the moment.

I had low funds and then the old PC blew up so we couldn't use the laptop and needed a new one. Parents chipped in $500 and voila, the beast is born. I would do anything to build it again, they are so much fun.

I'm not so lucky. My laptop had a 3 year warranty.

don't like warranty's when they stop you getting a new piece of hardware.

Are you guys telling me you run FSX on a laptop? I had never considered that. The distance between the back plate and the housing is a little over 28 CMs or if you are old like me 11 inches.

Dave Boreham

I just read the article re flashing the Bios on a 6950 to a 6970, is this a straight forward thing to do, will overheating become an issue, it sounds straight forward when you read the article, but it worries me that you are messing with what I consider some serious money £200 to get it wrong would leave me in the dog house with the rest of the family having screwed up their PC

Dave Boreham

Remember it's the exact same card, just on is "locked". If you're worried, get a 6950 similar to the 6970 I posted with a massive cooler and multiple fans. And I'll go check the dimensions it the card now

DirectCU ii FTW. I did a stress test with the fluffy doughnut with my GPU at 850MHz, without the fan even trying (18%), it never went over 50 degrees.

Di, Do you never sleep! I have done that it is 27.9 cms so it looks like it will fit. I think I am going for the 6950, run it and see what frames I get and then when I want more flash the BIOS, sounds easy when you say it quickly!

Dave Boreham

Haha yes! I just woke up haha. Okay. I'd look for the Asus DirectCU II version for the 6950 too.

That's the one.

@flabberjabber Hello Dad! You can have the old Scan PC back if that helps - we're not using it any more! I don't know weather you could 'nick' stuff from the Packard Bell box and put it into the other PC - might put fewer limits on what components you can upgrade to get your system running FSX working more smoothly? I can bring it over this weekend if you like? :) Jamie