Sign in to follow this  
Smasher77th

To the honorable PMDG team members, a suggestion concerning the HGS combiner glass and its partial frame

I think I'm beginning to understand what you mean, NGX, but isn't there a way to make a model there, but still remain invisible, or partly invisible, or should I say so transparent you can't see it? Think about the pinkish tint on the face of the glass, for instance, that color is only visible on one side. The other side is clear, which means the tint is invisible if you look at the glass from behind. Same with the green projected info. It's still there, but you can't see it from behind the glass. That's the same way they could double the texture of the glass edge, superimposing one on another (just like in the diagram), but making them invisible on opposite sides, then reducing the thickness (cutting off some off the texture visible from the inside. Also think about this: when you 'walk' into the airplane from the side (I mean walking in like a ghost, penetrating the walls), you see the inside texture (the passenger cabin and seats. I believe that if there were no cabin there, you wouldn't be able to see the inside of the fuselage (with the windows and stuff) it would be invisible from inside, but the model is still there (correct me if I'm wrong). Another example is the little circular window on the doors. it's see-through from the outside, but not from the inside. It's my assumption that the opaque window 'inside' texture is invisible from the outside. Here are some more screenies to explain my point: Look at both sides of the combiner glass, you can see that the pink side is completely invisible from behind, and that the back side of the glass is completely invisible from both sides, making the 'glass' there as a model, but invisible from certain angles (if I could use that word). Now take a look at the door: Pay attention to the interior texture of the door, and you can see that it's invisible from behind (behind the exterior texture). My point is here is that I believe the model can be there and invisible, and you can apply textures to some part, and leave some parts bare and as such, invisible. So if the glass edge could be duplicated, superimposed (per the earlier diagrams), this illusion could be perfectly created. I wish Vin could comment on this, since he was the one who designed the HGS. Vin please I look forward to your comments

PMDG-777-EK-SIG-MAY1713-2_zps6f2ed2be.pn

Chidiebere Anyahara

That pink tint is there yes, but thats just one sided texturing, as you've said. There is no change to the model of the HGS if you look at it front or back, it's the same model. But the frame, to hide some of the frame would mean that they'd have to hide some of the model when it is extended, and show the model when it is retracted. They've said that they are at the limit of FSX animations, so I don't think they could do it with animations and without altering the model.

Sorry, I was editing my post when you replied. I'd like you to re-read it. I'm not talking about shrinking or hiding the model. I'm talking about providing a partial texture, actually a double texturing of the model, with one texture full, but visible from one side (one sided), and the other texture, one sided (opposite side) but partial, about one quarter, starting from the front (pink side) (that's what I meant by reduction), and only visible from the other side (by 'side' here, I'm referring to the edge as seen from outside, and as seen from within the glass (pink side).

Chidiebere Anyahara

I believe that without the textures, the model could be invisible. With 2 one-sided (opposite sides) textures, one (outer) being full, and the other (inner) being partial, the illusion could be created.

Chidiebere Anyahara

Oh! The frame (the arm with a partial frame), same technique could be used. By making the outer texture of the frame one-sided (visible only on the outside), removing some of the inner texture of the frame, leaving the area directly behind the new, thinner inner texture of the glass, and making that texture one sided too ((the side in direct contact with the edge of the glass... This diagram below is crude, but explains a little better:

Chidiebere Anyahara

To be honest, it might work. But I get low enough FPS as it is in the VC without having to lose more every time I open/close the HGS. And in all fairness, its a lot of work for something as minor as this. I don't see it ever being done. To ask for refraction in glass when there are many problems PMDG are having to deal with is, in my opinion, selfish. I'm happy with it as it is, and so are many others.

Ok. I don't want to be that selfish. If it could be easily done, let them do it. If not, that's fine. It's not a deal breaker, and I thought it would be easy, that's why I brought it up in the first place. But I'd like Vin to comment on this topic, and say if it can or cannot be done. Thanks NGX, for your patience, though.

Chidiebere Anyahara

I could of sworn NGX was an Administrator Worried.gif
No....An opposing point of view with valid reasoning doesn't constitute acting as an administrator. Personally I tend to agree with NGX. I've read numerous posts, without making comments, from forum members who would like improvements which to many I'm sure is only seen as nit picking. PMDG have done a tremendous job creating a fantastic simulator but there are those who will only want better even if the 737-NGX is at the limits of what is possible with FSX.

No....An opposing point of view with valid reasoning doesn't constitute acting as an administrator. Personally I tend to agree with NGX. I've read numerous posts, without making comments, from forum members who would like improvements which to many I'm sure is only seen as nit picking. PMDG have done a tremendous job creating a fantastic simulator but there are those who will only want better even if the 737-NGX is at the limits of what is possible with FSX.
What did I say, to make you assume, that because she made an opposing post, I thought she was an admin?Actually you're very wrong...I think she needs to be commended for her work on the forums, she sets things straight that's why I assumed she was an admin.

Regards,
Jamaljé Bassue

What did I say, to make you assume, that because she made an opposing post, I thought she was an admin?Actually you're very wrong...I think she needs to be commended for his work on the forums, she sets things straight that's why I assumed she was an admin.
+1

Chidiebere Anyahara

Well thankyou 3 very much. I'm flattered you aren't one of the "stop playing forum mod" crew

"but I'm going to bet that refracting light is not something that can be done. We can't modify the fundamental aspects of how the sim's graphics engine works - it doesn't support light refraction effects."
Oh, you mean the post where he said:
Guys, Vin will have to comment because he's the one that did the optical wizardry that makes the collimated HUD work,
Ryan guessing about something is not PMDG saying no. You're reading into what he said.

Yes. I saw that. But the relevant point is that the sims graphic engine DOESN'T SUPPORT LIGHT REFRACTION EFFECTS. If the sim doesn't support the effects. That is the point I was making, not the fact that they can't do it. "DISCLAIMER: This post is of my own personal opinion. It does not reflect the views and/or opinions of iFly, Flight1 or any of their partners" Does this mean you work for iFly? Trying to steal some of PMDG's ideas? Shouldn't you be in the F1/iFly forums?

"DISCLAIMER: This post is of my own personal opinion. It does not reflect the views and/or opinions of iFly, Flight1 or any of their partners" Does this mean you work for iFly? Trying to steal some of PMDG's ideas? Shouldn't you be in the F1/iFly forums?
laugh.png That's cute. Just because I worked on the iFly project doesn't mean that I can't own and enjoy another developers product...does it? Would you prefer that developers were at each others throat and hated each other, or would you rather us get along with each other and enjoy each others products? What ideas am I going to steal in a forum? Honestly though, why the low blow??