Sign in to follow this  
air737

FS 2004 9.1 Patch

Hi, Are there any cons of installing the 9.1 patch? Will it affect my addons for FS like aircraft, panels, liveries, airports, sounds? I have plenty of them installed from different providers and I don't want them to stop working. Please advise!Cheers

Hi, Are there any cons of installing the 9.1 patch? Will it affect my addons for FS like aircraft, panels, liveries, airports, sounds? I have plenty of them installed from different providers and I don't want them to stop working. Please advise!Cheers
It should not affect your add-ons and will cure a number of bugs in FS9. If you are using third party ground textures you should revert to the stock textures before installing. DJ

Thanks for your answer.Do you know if the wizard will kind of warn me which files are being modified or lost? I'm afraid that it will run and overwrite things quietly and there will be a mess afterwards.

Thanks for your answer.Do you know if the wizard will kind of warn me which files are being modified or lost? I'm afraid that it will run and overwrite things quietly and there will be a mess afterwards.
You don't get any warnings, but it will create a backup directory of all replaced files so that you can fall back if you like... DJ

Just to let you know, it could take many hours to run the 9.1 patch on a non-virgin FS9 install. I once applied the patch to an FS9 install, (and this was years ago), which had just a few updates to it and the thing took half a day to run.Mark

I'd be curious to hear how you made out with this problem? I have found (and others on the forum) that it's not possible to run the patch unless it's a virgin install, as when you try to execute the patch you just get an error message and it won't proceed. For future knowledge, I'd be interested to hear that there is a work-around for this. BTW, I don't think anyone mentioned this but there are several add-ons that require that you have FS9.1 so installing the patch really is the right thing to do.

I believe that the patch modifiees the bits in some files rather than replacing the complete file. It is those that that must be "virgin" for FS9.1 to install. I know of no reliable information about which files those are.

IIRC 9.1 added back in a bunch of bridges that had been left out from FS2k2. So it could be that the 9.1 bridge is misplaced, though I would expect an addon would have had an exclude for that if needed, at least if the addon was 9.1 aware. scott s..

Fortunately I didn't have to run the patch so I can't share my experience with it. I think it was a livery that I was trying to install and it warned me that 9.1 was needed for it to work while what I got was 9.0 so I assumed my FS had never been patched and wanted to do the upgrade. Only later I remembered to check the FS version and it's 9.1. It's strange that during that routine installation it returns a wrong version number but it's not my problem anymore:) Thanks guys for all your knowledge!