Sign in to follow this  
Stratocruiser1

HOW TO LOWER RAMP NOISE?

I have run several searches in the forums, but have not found anything about this.How do you lower or eliminated that incessant background noise on the ramp or at the gate at any and all the airports in FSX? It sounds like someone on the ACES Team got carried away with trying to create a real back round sound at airports, but to me it is way overdone. Does anyone know how to get rid of it? It is bad enough in cockpit View, but if you go into Spot View, it sounds like you are on a taxiway at JFK with non stop traffic going by.Thanks,Howard

Guest jahman

Try finding the offending file (in your "<FSX>\Sound" directory, tedious!) and rename it to something else, then copy the file "silence.wav" and rename it to the original offending file's name. Cheers, - jahman.

Thanks for the response, jahman. I was trying to avoid that job, but you may be right. It may be the only way to find it. I was hoping someone else had already done it. I will wait a couple of days to see if anyone else responds with an easier fix, then I will proceed.Thanks,Howard

Are you sure it's not just sound coming from nearby AI aircraft? Try setting AI to zero and see if it goes away.

Are you sure it's not just sound coming from nearby AI aircraft? Try setting AI to zero and see if it goes away.
Then he wouldn't have any traffic.

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

Guest jahman
Yes, set your AI to zero so you get an empty ramp and can better isolate the ramp sound/noise, i.e. which sound file it's coming from. An efficient algorithm to locate the offending sound file is binary tree search and works like this:
  1. Copy your scenery.cfg file somewhere else.
  2. Delete your scenery file (for faster FSX start times).
  3. Save a Flight with a small FSX aircraft at the ramp.
  4. Set that flight as the default star-up flight.
  5. Copy your FSX\sound directory somewhere else.
  6. Go to your FSX\sounds directory.
  7. Sort the files by name.
  8. Note the number of files in the directory.
  9. Delete the second half of the sound files.
  10. Start FSX
  11. Note if the Ramp sound is present.
  12. Loop: Start
  13. If it is, delete the second half of the sound files.
  14. If it's not, delete all the files and restore the first half.
  15. Continue until only one sound file is left.
  16. Loop: End
  17. That's the offending sound file!

There are 240 files in my <FSZ>\sound directory (excluding sub-directories), so the number of times you will have to loop is in the order of 8 times (2 ^ 8 = 256). Cheers, - jahman.

Hopefully you accidentally typed this response

The only sound I ever hear at the ramp is from adjacent AI planes, and it's only the sound of a running engine. I don't think I ever heard anything else at the ramp.

Hopefully you accidentally typed this response
I'm not sure I understand, he was asking how to get rid of noise, not traffic all together. Anyway it seems jahman had a nice soultion to isolate the offending sound file.

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD