Sign in to follow this  
XCLTM3

Can we enter & save SIDS/STARS using the CDU/FMC in NGX?

Hi all, just a quick question....can we enter and save SIDS/STARS in the NGX FMC/CDU or do we have tocreate them externally and import them? Thanks in advance.. XCL PS: the NGX is the "new standard" in aircraft for FSX...it ROCKS!!! Well Done PMDG!

i7 8770K @ 4.7Ghz + Corsair H100i GTX  Water Cooler - 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000Mhz - NVidia RTX 2070 XC 8Gb - ACER X34 Predator IPS GSYNC 3440x1440 Monitor - ASUS ROG STRIX Z370H - 2 x Samsung SSD Pro 512Gb  - 1 x Samsung EVO 1Tb - Win 10 Pro 64  21H2 - MSFS

"All in, all the time"

Steve Summers

You dont 'create' them, they are in the nav database in the FMC, you simply select the appropiate one

Jay

You dont 'create' them, they are in the nav database in the FMC, you simply select the appropiate one
Hi PIC007, thx for the reply. Having said that, not all SIDS/STARS are in the database......hence my question. Rgds, XCL

i7 8770K @ 4.7Ghz + Corsair H100i GTX  Water Cooler - 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000Mhz - NVidia RTX 2070 XC 8Gb - ACER X34 Predator IPS GSYNC 3440x1440 Monitor - ASUS ROG STRIX Z370H - 2 x Samsung SSD Pro 512Gb  - 1 x Samsung EVO 1Tb - Win 10 Pro 64  21H2 - MSFS

"All in, all the time"

Steve Summers

Hi PIC007, thx for the reply. Having said that, not all SIDS/STARS are in the database......hence my question. Rgds, XCL
If they are current and active they should be, what specific airport are you looking at?

Jay

If they are current and active they should be, what specific airport are you looking at?
At this point I'm looking at airports in Australia. From YSSY, YSCB, YBBN, YMML, YMHB, YPAD, YPPH, YPDN to mention a few. (Some of the info for SIDS/STARS is outdated in the current NGX database). It would have been advantageous to have the ability to create/modify/save the SID/STAR database to reflect the amendments (particularly for use in FSX). Rgds, XCL

"All in, all the time"

Steve Summers

You can modify the actual files that compose the database, but you need to do that by hand. There was a tutorial about that somewhere, but i can't remember where i've seen it. I think it came with a PMDG product, but i can't be sure.Just open an airport file from the FSX/PMDG/SIDSTARS folder, and compare what it says there with a SID or STAR plate, and you'll figure it out.

Cristi Neagu

You can modify the actual files that compose the database, but you need to do that by hand. There was a tutorial about that somewhere, but i can't remember where i've seen it. I think it came with a PMDG product, but i can't be sure.Just open an airport file from the FSX/PMDG/SIDSTARS folder, and compare what it says there with a SID or STAR plate, and you'll figure it out.
Hi Cristi, thx for the reply. Will conduct some more searches here in the forum and see what I find. PS: Would of been advantageous to do it straight from the CDU/FMC?! Rgds, XCL

"All in, all the time"

Steve Summers

XCL, Don't bother making your own. Jock McIntyre updates Australia Terminal Procedures every three months (in line with the Airservices Australia amendment calendar) for PMDG products and these can be found at http://austscene.com Cheers DZ

Hi Cristi, thx for the reply. Will conduct some more searches here in the forum and see what I find. PS: Would of been advantageous to do it straight from the CDU/FMC?! Rgds, XCL
I wish that was possible, it would save a lot of headaches... It's pretty much straight text editing into the file. I have a few tips for you that i've found out the hard way:1. filename is [airport ICAO code].txt in the PDMG\SIDSTAR folder2. Look at the existing files for the block formats, there are blocks for Fixes, Runways, SID's, STAR's, Approaches and Gates.3. Any runway entries have to match the entries in the runways file in the PDMG\Navdata folder (wptnavapt.txt)4. To test: Open CDU, on RTE page add departure or arrival to the airport you're adding/modifying. Go to DEP/ARR page. If it shows pages 1 of 0, you've made a syntax error somewhere. Fix the error, set the departure or arrival to another (working) airport, then back to the one you're testing. Go back to the DEP/ARR page. Does it work? Great! if not, rinse, lather and repeat.5. Start small, and add/test entries one by one.

PS: Would of been advantageous to do it straight from the CDU/FMC?!
I would have been.... but the syntax is a bit too complicated for that. And, besides, not realistic:P

Cristi Neagu

Keep in mind that the edits you make to files in the SIDSTARS folder will be lost if you update the navdata. So make sure you keep backup copies.

Thanks to all for your invaluable assistance.....it's greatly appreciated! Rgds, XCL

"All in, all the time"

Steve Summers