Sign in to follow this  
billg1949

Noob question on Feelthere ERJ

just bought the 135/145 ERJ jets. they are on sale this weekend. i've never flown anything except light aircraft eg. 152/T210/Turbine Duke. anyone have any links that would help me along with these ERJ planes? obviously i will read the manual 2 or 3 times, but any help would be appreciated. needless to say........this is pretty daunting for a guy like me with only light plane experience.Hypnotized.gif thanks................Bill

just bought the 135/145 ERJ jets. they are on sale this weekend. i've never flown anything except light aircraft eg. 152/T210/Turbine Duke. anyone have any links that would help me along with these ERJ planes? obviously i will read the manual 2 or 3 times, but any help would be appreciated. needless to say........this is pretty daunting for a guy like me with only light plane experience.Hypnotized.gif thanks................Bill
Go here http://www.flytutorial.com/ to find an excellent tutorial... DJ

There are some good videos on Youtube, too. The word of warning I'll give you is not to get frustrated with the autopilot. I find it pretty picky on what the buttons mean and where other buttons have to be for others to do what you want. I still find it to be one of the less-intuitive systems of the planes I have. That said, it does work, it just takes time figuring out what mode you need to be in. Also, remember there's no auto throttle so watch your speeds! That said, it's a nice plane and a good intro/middle ground plane. It was one of my first bigger plane add ons and a good purchase.

One of the things left out of the checklist is to turn off the APU during the climbout. If you fail to do this, you will get a fuel imbalance as the APU only draws from the right wing tank. On my system, starting the aircraft in the "ready to start engines" mode results in zero fuel in the right tank, which shuts down the APU. Not a big deal, just reset the fuel and then start the APU. After you do a few flights, the FMS starts to get easier. You can import a FS flight plan and you don't have to fly SIDs and STARS at first, just let the GPS direct you to the first waypoint. Stay with it and I think you will find it an enjoyable aircraft.

Dale

Guest jahman

There's an excellent 90 minute video tutorial on

in 10 parts. Although it's not the ERJ, the 744 is the mother of glass cockpit, FMC-driven aircraft such that AP-FMC techniques and procedures in other glass cockpit aircraft are derived from the 744. This tutorial will acquaint you with the concepts and procedures of flying complex aircraft. With these concepts under your belt it will then be much easier to make sense of the detail in the ERJ´s POH - Pilot's Operating Handbook. BTW I do recommend you get the PMDG B-747-400 as it is a very nice aircraft with 90% of all RW systems modelled. Cheers, - jahman.

You're probably fortunate that you don't have experience in the Boeings or Airbuses because Embraer has its own way of doing things. You aren't coming with a lot of habits and expectations, which should actually let you learn better. Check in and let us know how you're doing. I think Feelthere did a really nice job on their ERJs.