Sign in to follow this  
haztronic

Does increasing CPU Voltage lower Temp?

So I have an i7 2600k and I'm running it at 4Ghz but when I run prime95 it seems to reach around 71C and I can't understand why the temps get so high for an Intel i7 only clocked at 4Ghz so my question is that if you increase the core voltage will it drop the temperatures? Right now my core voltage is 1.092V. Thanks. pic.png

Guest jahman

Increasing voltage always increases temperatures (because increasing voltage increases current and voltage x current = watts.) Cheers, - jahman.

Prime95 is used to stress your system---make it work harder---so of course the temperatures are going to go up, the same way temperatures go up if you play a game like FSX for a few hours.

Just did a quick test, Haz - my pc, running at 4.8-gig loaded, is currently at 51C - water-cooled: the core voltage is 1.4v as reported by CPU-Z. I don't remember what I set it to in the bios, so you have a way to go.... smile.png

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Im guessing you need better cooling somehow. Possibly a better cooler or (less likely) better airflow in your case / computer room

...and be careful wityh temps idiling at 71, that very very high if you are idling!

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

To echo what fakeflyer737 said, the low temps are a little concerning and seem high. Were those taken at idle or after the test had started? Do you have water or air cooled? The i7s can take a bit of heat and my understanding is that they are built to handle the OC and probably sustained higher temps, but I'm not sure if that's good for the long term health of the chip. I have a 4.5 oc on a i7 2600k water cooled and a 1.22 voltage setting.

which CPU cooler are you using? If it's intel stock heatsink, then throw it away and get something advanced like corsair H80 or Noctua NH D 14. And yes, increasing CPU voltage increases the temperature.

At idle my temps are about 30-31. Running prime they are in the 70s. And I custom bought a Thermaltake CL-P0466 when I built my PC. I didn't have enough for a watercooler and quite frankly I was intimidated to buy one.

Your temps are pretty even across the cores. Under stress at 4ghz, anything under 75C is fine. However to stress your system as FSX would stress it - run OCCT for 1 hour. If it passes, you're good to go. The temps with OCCT should be about the same. Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors