Sign in to follow this  
roarkr

Opencockpit MCP with PMDX 737NGX READY

Glad to hear that Ron. Yes, not all USB ports are created equal for some reason. It certainly does confuse me that your iFly works plugged into 'bad' ports but the NGX won't.

I am not postive but the only difference between the Ifly and the PMDG is that the Ifly uses IOCP, right now I am just cutting my teeth on FSUIPC and Lua with a slight learning curve. Sioc is yet another subject along with IOCP.

I can tell you for a fact that with over 30 yrs of building computers I never am surprised at anything. I built my first computer in 1979 it was a Southwest Technical 6800 and still have the old 8 bit thing. (so what has this to do with flight sim anyhow ???)

Well after some tweaking on the EFIS I am trying to figure out why the EFIS ND Range selector seem to get hung up it appears to be a timing thing as it will release after a short period. It only happens if I turn the knob to quickly. I remember reading something in this site about it.

Thanks Much

Ron (aka Granpa)

I just had another occurance with ICMC just like this. His config worked flawlessly and suddenly it started to fail intermittenly while nothing even changed.

I had him connect 5V to the MCP directly (to the power input port on the back) and low and behold everything was working again.

So from this thread i really learn that OC modules are very power sensitive and probably best thing to do is find a separate 5 V powersupply and feed the devices by this instead from internal usb power, The usb power is too critical i think.

Just my lesson learned. YMMV

BTW: OC sells this 5V adapters on their side but if you are building a cockpit you probably have a seperate PC Powersupply installed anyway so might be a good idea to supply the 5V from the 5V PC power rail.

Ah... that'd be my bad then.

I'd 'assumed' because the MCP was working (with the iFly) at all, then Ron 'must' have had a seperate 5v power supply, as I've not seen a MCP work without it.

Don't know how many times I have to learn the 'assume nothing' lesson :)

Just clear things up both my MCP and EFIS have external power supplies, there was no way to make them work even with the Ifly acft without them. Alejandro at Opencockpits made that clear to me from the beginning. So no I wasn't using the usb port to power them.

Both devices worked with IFly as usb ports 48 MCP and 49 MCP once I moved them to the rear of my motherboard the were assigned posrts 101 EFIS and 103 MCP and they now work with both the PMDG and MCP.

The reason I had them on the front port is that my main monitor is 55" and I needed to be further away from it. I am now ordering two 36' active USB cables so I can run the cables from the back of the computer over to my Cockpit which is across the room.

I will let you know if the active cables do the job

Ron (aka Granpa)

Correction it was 49 for the MCP and 48 for the EFIS

It was also supposed to br both work with the PMDG and IFly

Ron

Correction it was 49 for the MCP and 48 for the EFIS

It was also supposed to br both work with the PMDG and IFly

FYI the actual numbers assigned are dependant on your machine/setup, everyone's tend to be different, thats why you are told to read your device number(s) from the running SIOC program window then transfer those numbers to the [MASTERS] section of your sioc.ini

'In theory' there is no reason why your current 'plugged in for ngx' arrangement shouldn't work with the iFly.... as longs as it's sioc.ini [MASTERS] section matches these device numbers

Clear as mud ?

John

Okayy I have muddie this topic up. Right now after moving my connection directly to the rear USB ports on my PC BOTH the IFLY and The PMDG work perfectly. My queryy was only curiosity.

Why did they only work from the front ports with the IFLY when they were plugged into the front USB ports but they now work with both IFLY and PMDG when plugged into the rear ports

. My only conclusion to this was that the front ports are actally a hub and the rear ports are direct to the motherboard. otherwise it makes absolutely no sense that the original configuration of using the front USB ports would have created the problem of the devices working with on product and not the other.

I am going to do a USB signal test on both the front and rear ports just to see if there is a difference between the two connection points. I will be using the test facilities provided by ASUS for my motherboard. It has to be something in the actaul hardware connection. Of course it will never reveal to me why IFLy worked but PMDG did not. So it will probably go down in my history as one of the gremlins that creep up in complex systems such as flight deck building and all of the things that have to work in concert

Ron (aka granpa)