Sign in to follow this  
Akila

few n00b Question(s)

No you would never get to that FL anyway for that distance. Assuming terrain was not an issue, then for 70nm I would probably aim for a max of 15000 ft. Not sure if that is realistic in RW ops or not.. G
that is my question.how does one know what altitude to pick on shorter flights that would best match fuel burn saving, etc?

Joel Strikovsky
Banner_FS2Crew_NGX_Driver.jpg

FMC uses CI for the optimum crz altitude. Also for short flights. I'm sure the NGX does as if you put the same dep/arr airport, plus a short circuit to follow after take off, the FMC uses low values.That value depends on CI inserted, try to put other values to check if the altitude will be corrected.For 25minutes flight maybe to much FL385, but depends on cost index.

Regards

Andrea Daviero

that is my question.how does one know what altitude to pick on shorter flights that would best match fuel burn saving, etc?
Pay attention to the answers you have been given. If you want to know more, read the damn manuals.

why the agro, does it really bother you that he's asking questions? Do you have to read this thread at all? If you dont like it, move on. Some people, honestly. lloyd jones

Pay attention to the answers you have been given. If you want to know more, read the damn manuals.
I am paying attention to everything you guys/Girls are writing and I appreciate your help.however it seems you all missed the point of my question. it seems you all stuck on CI and values of the cost index for the suggested FL, when my question way passed that point already. Let's try a different approach, shell we :)I'll try to change my question a bit and try and make myself maybe more clear if I confused you guys before. forget FMC suggests FL, let's do it the old school way.I don't have FMC, I ripped it out from my NGX (metaphorically speaking) I have a chart (not a route chart, but Airplane charts) and Airplane weight based on the weight and airplane type the chat advises me on a FL.great,however those FL are extremely high for shorter flights.those FL numbers are more aimed for medium / long range flying , which makes perfect scene. the question is very simple, what is the golden rule of deciding hight (FL) on shorter flights (best compromise cost / performance)?how does one decides what hight (FL) to file in his flight on shorter routes?I am sure you would not fly the suggested FL on a short route, so what FL would you pick and why that specific FL which you picked you did so?of course only taking Fuel burn / economy in consideration at this point of my question, leave out FL restrictions, terrain, etc. focus only on the economy part.best compromise cost / performance.I hope you understand my question better now.

Joel Strikovsky

Why do everyone answers to this typical forum Troll? Do not feed him, unless you want more and more spamming posts in this forum, where actually someone might need real help. He has no clue about PACKS yet he is querying FL and CI. My advice, learn basics, and fly something like Cessna or King Air - if you prefer faster planes. Then move on to something more complex. As for the FMC in NGX. Where did you get yours? Because mine shows correct FL even for short hops. Example: EDDT - EDDG - plane 40% full and opt FL 259 - If I remember well. BTW - does this forum have any kind of moderation? Even simplest one might help sometimes...

Tom Link

Iv'e noticed that the FMC will give you a lower altitude on a shorter flight. Fill in all the data inculding full route departure and approach, ZFW , reserve fuel and CI on the perf init page and it will populate the trip alt to an optimum # that it thinks you should shoot for. Lower CI's are going to give you a steeper angle up and down so higher cruise altitudes are to be expected. Check flightaware.com , pick 2 airports , it will show you all the en route, planned and arived flights that day. You can then filter out the data by airline and/or airplane type and you will get an idea what real world operators are doing. EB Wallace

If you do not even know what the PACKs do in an aircraft I am guessing this is your first real airplane that is not a default FSX Plane. Would really help you alot to read the manuals and learn how things work. Otherwise your gonna be spending more time here in the forums asking for help than you are flying. Might also help to put your name at the bottom of your posts which is a requirement in the NGX support forum. They habitually delete posts if your name is not there so they can verify your a customer with a paid copy of the NGX.

Why do everyone answers to this typical forum Troll? Do not feed him, unless you want more and more spamming posts in this forum, where actually someone might need real help. He has no clue about PACKS yet he is querying FL and CI. My advice, learn basics, and fly something like Cessna or King Air - if you prefer faster planes. Then move on to something more complex. As for the FMC in NGX. Where did you get yours? Because mine shows correct FL even for short hops. Example: EDDT - EDDG - plane 40% full and opt FL 259 - If I remember well. BTW - does this forum have any kind of moderation? Even simplest one might help sometimes...
ok, if you are so smart.. then answer me this simple question. here is your route LLBG - OJAI 70nm (25min flight), plane 3/4 full - give or take , what FL would you pick and why?(I can promise you The FMC won't help you here, it will give you a to hight FL for such short route)if you would answer this the way i am aiming for , then you the winner, I got my question answerednow don't tell me look at other flights of other PPL , that is lame, I want to know why they picked that FL that I'll know to do it next time by myself.

Joel Strikovsky

Listen Troll, it will help you. I do not know why, as usually I do not feed people like you, I did go into FSX to check this. OPT was 5955 - happy? FL levels are calculated by professional flight dispatchers, they plan everything in accordance with weather, TGW, density, permissions - oh yes, some countries allow specific FL only etc. There is lot of factors that are taken in consideration when it comes to plan FL for fleet or specific flight. I am afraid that it may be too much for you to take on - maybe first go thry what PMDG gave you and check out that PACKS and what they do. FMC is the last thing to look at when flight is planned. It as HELPING tool, not Oracle for sure! Now go to sleep or play something like X-BOX ok?

Tom Link

Listen Troll, it will help you. I do not know why, as usually I do not feed people like you, I did go into FSX to check this. OPT was 5955 - happy? FL levels are calculated by professional flight dispatchers, they plan everything in accordance with weather, TGW, density, permissions - oh yes, some countries allow specific FL only etc. There is lot of factors that are taken in consideration when it comes to plan FL for fleet or specific flight. I am afraid that it may be too much for you to take on - maybe first go thry what PMDG gave you and check out that PACKS and what they do. FMC is the last thing to look at when flight is planned. It as HELPING tool, not Oracle for sure! Now go to sleep or play something like X-BOX ok?
Your mother must be so proud of you! You should have said: "FMC is a HELPING tool, I'm the Oracle"

Listen Troll, it will help you. I do not know why, as usually I do not feed people like you, I did go into FSX to check this. OPT was 5955 - happy?
1st of all I am extremely happy !!!, you hit the jack pot of my question.the only part of the puzzle that is missing what checks you ran in FSX to find that OPT of 5955 is the one for that distance? That was amazing piece of Info I was looking for (not specifically for that route, but you on the right path of what I am asking for) , if you could answer that last part , you my rock star.

Joel Strikovsky

There is no troll here, just a guy asking for suggestions and to be honest his questions are not noob ones IMO. I do not have precise answers so I let the " teachers " to answer.

1st of all I am extremely happy !!!, you hit the jack pot of my question.the only part of the puzzle that is missing what checks you ran in FSX to find that OPT of 5955 is the one for that distance? That was amazing piece of Info I was looking for (not specifically for that route, but you on the right path of what I am asking for) , if you could answer that last part , you my rock star.
OPT altitude for your route will be suggested on the page where you initially insert your flight altitude in the FMC. The OPT altitude as seen on the CRZ page will not take the specific route in to account - only weight/performance. Thus it will often be higher than the suggested altitude.

OPT altitude for your route will be suggested on the page where you initially insert your flight altitude in the FMC. The OPT altitude as seen on the CRZ page will not take the specific route in to account - only weight/performance. Thus it will often be higher than the suggested altitude.
that is interesting what you saying. since I never saw in that page a Suggested OPT FL, I only get those squares expecting me to fill in the FL.the only place I see the OPT suggested FL is on the CRZ page which you mentioned before is to high for my distance.would you be kind enough and elaborate this a bit?I think once I get this part , everything was answered.

Joel Strikovsky